Carito_

What is the thing you miss the most from your country???

80 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone!!! I am finally in the US with my husband, and everything has been great...! Even though I like the US a lot, there things that I really miss from Mexico...

Besides my family -of course- and my friends....

The thing I miss the most is FOOD!!! laughing.gifI miss all the spicy dishes, but especially chilaquiles and snacks like corn with cream, cheese and chili pepper and the CANDY, and I mean the salty/spicy candy... My husband doesn't like any of these, when I gave him some candy to try he hated it!!! laughing.gif I think it is very funny how we are so close (Mexico and the US) yet are very different in some things... I would love to hear what you miss the most from your country... The random things...

And good luck to everyone who just moved to the US!!! laughing.gif

My Timeline

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2011-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-02-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-05-27

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-09

Interview Date : 2011-09-07

Interview Result : A P P R O V E D ! ! !

Visa Received : 2011-09-13

US Entry : 2011-12-11

Marriage : 2011-12-29

Processing Estimates/Stats :

Your I-129f was approved in 92 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 195 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Des Moines IA

Date Filed : 2012-01-20 (Filed for EAD and AP too)

NOA1 Date : 2012-01-24

Bio. Appt. : 2012-02-28

Transfered: 2012 -02-15

Touched: 2012-02-23

EAD card production ordered: 2012-03-16

EAD/AP combo received: 2012-03-24

Green Card Production!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012-09-27

zqWtm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Food is a big thing for me too- strong, milky tea (fortunately found a local shop that sells Irish tea bags!), tea biscuits (plain cookies, nothing like it here!), and good dark chocolate that doesn't cost a ton. I also miss reliable, cheap public transport.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I miss the food too!!! But only some things, my husband loves mexican food so we eat it quite often, and almost always have some jalapenos or serranos around!, I miss valentina on the movie theaters, real corn tortillas ... ohhh and I miss my Pilates classes, here they are a lot more expensive.... There is a grocery store here in Utah called Rancho market, it was nice to see so many Mexican products, they sell all different kinds of mexican bread, I never liked or ate sweet bread in mexico, but when I found it at this store I got super super happy just to see it....I miss my family and friend too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I definitely miss the food. All the cheap but tasty food you can get at hawker stalls. A fusion of chinese, indian and malay cuisines all readily available. There are just some things you can't get here. I also miss all the little shops where they have hundreds of hair accessories which put accessory shops here to shame. And shoe shops. For some reason, shoe shops here list inventory based on shoe size. In Malaysia, they would have hundreds of shoes in a shop and you'd ask for your size. The shop space is utilized better with more variety and choices. Lastly, I miss pretty chiffon and cotton summer and batik dresses you can buy there. Only place I found something similar was at the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

YES, food. Public transportation. Oslo's public transportation is amazing; nothing in the US even comes close. Also, our free healthcare and maternity benefits.

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Public transport, Sheffield Wednesday games, (and although I'm a non-drinker) British pubs!

Food is both yes and no. On the one hand it's surprisingly easy to buy British groceries in northern Colorado (processed items such as Weetabix, marmite, chocolate bars, marmalade, custard, salad cream, Branston Pickle, Robinson's squash, Irn-Bru etc are even sold in our local supermarket) - but it's almost impossible to replicate true British meals. The ingredients, water etc just aren't the same over here.

I would KILL for some proper Yorkshire fish and chips. Never mind a bacon butty. America doesn't have the bread, or the bacon to do that.

Miss British humour too.

I also miss London. Terribly. Its wealth of culture, its history, its cosmopolitan/ multi-racial population, its size, the anonymity of it.

But I love my wife and my daughter more, so here I am.

EDIT - And how could I forget...... Social healthcare, and a welfare state that's fit for purpose.

FURTHER EDIT - And how could I forget this - decent annual leave (I had 32 days in London - it's 12 days here).

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: Other Timeline

I miss nothing. I can get all the food I want here, and more. Food I have never heard of even.

Are you seriously saying you can't get Mexican food in the United States?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Zendium toothpaste, liquorice, and tab water that tastes good. That's the things on a daily basis. There's much more but it's only once in a while(free health care).

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

I miss just being there. It's funny but I miss things that I've never consider it meant something or even worse I used to hate. I miss walking on the street, I miss our accent, I miss the horrible traffic, I miss the noise, I miss the weather, I miss the food, people the list can go on. There's always something to miss about our country but oh well, We are in the States. Isn't it the most diverse country in the world? I honestly think if we would have been lived in other country the culture shock would have been worse.

24/06/2010 NOA1

01/07/2010 Touch

15/11/2010 Touch

17/11/2010 RFE

06/12/2010 Touch

07/12/2010 Touch

10/12/2010 RFE (re-issue)

04/01 2011 RFE response review

13/01/2011 NOA2 YAY!!!!

27/01/2011 NVC

01/02/2011 Consulate received

03/02/2011 Packet 3 received. Im not sure why they called P3 though it's just instructions

04/02/2011 Packet 3 send

17/02/2011 Packet 4 received

22/02/2011 INTERVIEW! and the best part is my visa was approved!

12/03/2011 POE Seattle int Airport.. OMG after surviving the worse japanese earthquake ever

25/03/2011 Wedding day

AOS

Day 1 AOS filed

Day 26 NOA1 email

8/17/2011 Green Card.

Definitely food!!!

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

I miss lots of things, loads of different food items. Especially decent tea bags, custard, trifle and groceries that aren't so horrendously expensive. I miss my friends and family and even my old job which was much better than my old one. I miss a decent amount of annual leave too, I was in my old job long enough that I was about to get five weeks off... and now I have two, and even then not for nine months as I need to complete my probation period. I also miss driving which I must get around to sorting out. I also miss free healthcare, decent public transport and a source of unbiast media coverage

Am I regretting coming?

No, I made this decision for the right reason and it will work out for the best, and both my wife and I hold out hope we might be able to move to England one day

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I miss nothing. I can get all the food I want here, and more. Food I have never heard of even.

Is not the same at all!!! Mexican food here (american style) is all cheesy and mostly everything has green chilli!

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is not the same at all!!! Mexican food here (american style) is all cheesy and mostly everything has green chilli!

then you are not going to the right places...lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is very very different!!! The food from the small restaurants, the sauces, the veggies... Like paojack said, it is all cheesy with weird cheeses that we don't use, they put all those "taco seasonings" that before moving here, I had never seen before... The whole experience of eating in Mexico, the multiples courses, the long talks, the loud tables, big families is very different... Here in restaurants they just want you to eat and go fast!! What's the fun in that??? :lol:

My Timeline

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2011-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-02-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-05-27

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-09

Interview Date : 2011-09-07

Interview Result : A P P R O V E D ! ! !

Visa Received : 2011-09-13

US Entry : 2011-12-11

Marriage : 2011-12-29

Processing Estimates/Stats :

Your I-129f was approved in 92 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 195 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Des Moines IA

Date Filed : 2012-01-20 (Filed for EAD and AP too)

NOA1 Date : 2012-01-24

Bio. Appt. : 2012-02-28

Transfered: 2012 -02-15

Touched: 2012-02-23

EAD card production ordered: 2012-03-16

EAD/AP combo received: 2012-03-24

Green Card Production!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012-09-27

zqWtm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.