kimmie

Landlord wants to background check?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone - Searched everywhere to find out if this was even legal but to no avail, so maybe someone can help me please?

We are just about to file the K-1, and I have applied for a new apartment, explaining to the landlord that my fiance will arrive here at some point during the next year. He wants to do a background check on him as he did for me. Can he do that? What information would I give him? I don't know that I'm entirely comfortable with it, but it's the perfect flat for the next year or so. I'm not sure if this would make or break the deal or not...

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!! :-)

NOA1 : 02/15/12

NOA2 : 08/16/2012

NVC Rec'd : 08/27/2012

Medical : 09/14/2012

Interview : 10/31/2012

POE : 11/16/2012

Marriage : 02/02/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If he did it with you then it's fine if he does it with him, after all both of you will be on the lease right? I had to fill a bunch of paperwork when I was put on my husband's lease. The US will run background checks on him so I'm sure your landlord couldn't be worse than the government! :P

Good luck!

Edited by J&N*

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Usually the landlord will do a credit check. It's your choice to disclose the information, but of you decide not to disclose, you may not get the place. If you think you are being discriminated against, there are several agencies that you can complain to, and I believe the tenant/landlord agreement may refer you to at least one of those agencies. I haven't rented in a long time, so I can't say for certain which agencies those are.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

as a landlord, the reasons i do "background" checks is to make sure they are worthy as renter for my property..

i am not checking into citizenship or legal immigrate..

nothing wrong with that..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everyone - Searched everywhere to find out if this was even legal but to no avail, so maybe someone can help me please?

We are just about to file the K-1, and I have applied for a new apartment, explaining to the landlord that my fiance will arrive here at some point during the next year. He wants to do a background check on him as he did for me. Can he do that? What information would I give him? I don't know that I'm entirely comfortable with it, but it's the perfect flat for the next year or so. I'm not sure if this would make or break the deal or not...

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!! :-)

Landlords routinely run background checks on all adult renters. It's perfectly normal and legal (you are not being discriminated against). Usually, the landlord will require all adults renting an apartment or house to fill out an application, provide a government issued ID, and pay a small fee for a background check.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tenant-background-check-laws-1780.html

Under federal law and the laws of California, a landlord can perform a full background check on you before deciding whether you can move into the apartment he manages. However, the federal Fair Housing Act as well as state laws do not allow landlords to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation or disability when conducting such background checks, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Also, a landlord must use the same background check guidelines for every prospective tenant or risk being guilty of discrimination in housing, notes the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you Rent, Lease on any basis it is vurtually up to that person(s) to make a decision even with a clear record. ( Landlords or Owners or Manager) They can actually charge for a background check which usually will come up Null if they even run a check. Best to let your Property Owner, Landlord, Manager the details and not let it be a shock so they don't get blown out of porportion. The Landlord/Tenant Laws are to be abided by in any case.

If they deny the additional tenant in this case your future spouse you have no choice. Those Contracts are written for the benefit of the Owners and not for the Tenant(s).

Only a ####### Landlord would do this. But, they do sometimes.

If not allowed you may have to move. Read that Contact and/or Lease Agreement well.

PS. Work with the Landlord. Or just Move.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it's gonna be fun, that background check on the UK Citizen still in the UK.

Let us know the result, yes?

as to 'can he?' well - this is some combination of 'local option' combined with yer state's laws and regs on rental property.

For a K-1, to 'co-mingle financial assets' in this fashion makes no sense - a Visa Officer will ask if you are married, on interview day.

What are you doing, really?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I don't see how the landlord will come up with anything on him because they probably run a check using the SSN or driver's license. Did you ask how he checks on foreign people? I've read threads on VJ where people have been denied jobs because because their SSN was too new and not in the database they run background checks on. (Not talking about the government's work authorization database.)

Can't you just rent it alone and add him to the lease later after he gets here?

Could your fiance get his ACPO police certificate to show the landlord he has no criminal background? Wonder if he's more interested in that or just credit history?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Landlords conducting background checks is pretty standard - I know my neighbor conducted one on of his tenants (another neighbor) and found out he was a lot more interesting than we originally thought!

I wouldn't expect they would find anything on a new immigrant - but do bear in mind a landlord can not deny you that apartment because he is an immigrant or because of your marital status

90day.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Let me give you the result on his background check right here: "no entry found."

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Landlords conducting background checks is pretty standard - I know my neighbor conducted one on of his tenants (another neighbor) and found out he was a lot more interesting than we originally thought!

I wouldn't expect they would find anything on a new immigrant - but do bear in mind a landlord can not deny you that apartment because he is an immigrant or because of your marital status

the fella hasn't immigrated yet. And won't, for some time, almost a year.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Yes, but it sounds like the OP needs to move into this apartment now. Landlord can and probably will do a background check, which will come up with nothing. If he denies her the department because her husband to be be has a background check with "no entry found", he is on shaky ground for housing discrimination because the same would happen for any new immigrant/immigrant to be.

I would like to think it would not come to that, but the OP does have rights if the landlord decides to be difficult.

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The check will probably come back negative. Many people that get taken in by Nigerian romance scammers do background checks on their online amour and it comes back clean because the person doesn't exist ( in the database or in real life ). The normal US person has no ability to request data from other countries.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks so much for all the responses!! Will send his info to the potential landlord and see what happens... Thanks!

NOA1 : 02/15/12

NOA2 : 08/16/2012

NVC Rec'd : 08/27/2012

Medical : 09/14/2012

Interview : 10/31/2012

POE : 11/16/2012

Marriage : 02/02/2013

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Thanks so much for all the responses!! Will send his info to the potential landlord and see what happens... Thanks!

Honestly, I would just apply by yourself for the time being and then ask to have his name added to the lease when he arrives. He won't have the ability to do a background check under the current circumstances.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.