Charles C

When Will She Get a US Passport?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

We have the K-1 (yeah!) and K-2s for the daughters. I am curious - at what point in the immigration process will my wife (we will be married by then, I am sure!) get a US passport? And what about her daughters? We will file for AOS soon... just wondering when they might get US blue books.

This is not a terribly important question right now, but I can not seem to find the answer... thanks.

Charles

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

After completing the AOS first your wife will get LPR (legal perm resd) status….she will continue to hold her existing passport.

After 3 years of your marriage she will be eligible for applying for citizenship once she does that she will get American passport.

You have completed step two. Step one was for the petition to be approved. Step two is for the K-1 visa to be issued. Step 3 is for her to arrive in the US. Step 4 is to get married. Step 5 is to file for AOS. Step 6 is to file for ROC after having her GC for 2 years--you are eligible to file 90 days before the 2 YR GC expires. Step 7 is to file for Naturalization--the earliest that can be done is after 3 years of marriage and LPR status or anytime after that if stail married to the same USC when granted LPR. Otherwise it is 5 years for naturalization. Then step 8 is to apply for a US passport. So you are a ways, several years and several thousands of dollars, from applying for a US passport.

Good luck and enjoy the ride,

Dave

We have the K-1 (yeah!) and K-2s for the daughters. I am curious - at what point in the immigration process will my wife (we will be married by then, I am sure!) get a US passport? And what about her daughters? We will file for AOS soon... just wondering when they might get US blue books.

This is not a terribly important question right now, but I can not seem to find the answer... thanks.

Charles

1. Once your fiancee enters the U.S. on a K-1 visa and gets married to you, she will have to adjust her status by filing the I-485 (please read the instructions on I-485 regarding K-2s).

2. After her AOS is approved and she receives her green card, she will have to file the I-751 before her green card expires to remove conditions - the earliest you can file the I-751 is 90 days before the GC expires.

3. And then 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of her permanent residency, she can file the N-400 for naturalization / citizenship (even if the I-751 hasn't been approved yet) - after the N-400 gets approved, she will be able to get a U.S. passport :)

Edited by Fatima and Jim

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If your concern is future travel, on the plus side, several countries allow visa-free entry by US Green Card holders using the passports of their country where they would normally be required to have a visa. Others will still require a visa but are more likely to grant one to someone with a US GC than they may otherwise be. But, yes, they will need to become citizens (3 years minimum US residency, post-AOS) before becoming eligible to receive a US passport.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Please understand - this is critical - that your wife will not become a US Citizen when she marries you. Once you get married and apply to change her status she will become a Permanent Resident. Then 3 years after her permanent residency was approved she can apply to be a US Citizen. This is important to understand because if she falsely claims to be a US Citizen because she married you, she can be deported and given a lifetime ban from the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Please understand - this is critical - that your wife will not become a US Citizen when she marries you. Once you get married and apply to change her status she will become a Permanent Resident. Then 3 years after her permanent residency was approved she can apply to be a US Citizen. This is important to understand because if she falsely claims to be a US Citizen because she married you, she can be deported and given a lifetime ban from the US.

Thanks for the warning. We are aware of the distinction, but we will be doubly-certain to consider the exact wording of any forms we complete and sign!

Charles

Timeline

If your concern is future travel, on the plus side, several countries allow visa-free entry by US Green Card holders using the passports of their country where they would normally be required to have a visa. Others will still require a visa but are more likely to grant one to someone with a US GC than they may otherwise be. But, yes, they will need to become citizens (3 years minimum US residency, post-AOS) before becoming eligible to receive a US passport.

Thanks - I do travel frequently so I will be learning more about this situation in the future! I have trips to China and Japan in the wings now, and who knows what else will pop up. I guess we Americans become incredibly spoiled by being able to buy a ticket to just about any place on earth!

Charles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Charles

She can apply for a passport when she is citizen.

We wasted no time in the process (check our timeline) we filed the I-129f in March 2008 and Alla will go for her citizenship interview in 3 weeks, February 1, 2012...and that is if nothing is delayed at all. Figure 4-5 years from petition to citizenship

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks - I do travel frequently so I will be learning more about this situation in the future! I have trips to China and Japan in the wings now, and who knows what else will pop up. I guess we Americans become incredibly spoiled by being able to buy a ticket to just about any place on earth!

Charles

We do, definitely. One of the major benefts to Alla will be that passport, we will visit at least two EU countries this summer on our way to Ukraine and she will be thrilled to just walk off that plane, show her passport and go on her way. It truly is one of our greatest benefits.

Until then your wife will need visas for anywhere she would have needed them before BUT it should be easier to get them. She will NOT need a visa for Canada, Mexico, Carribean Islands, just a green card and passport or green card only for land travel to Canada or Mexico.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks for the warning. We are aware of the distinction, but we will be doubly-certain to consider the exact wording of any forms we complete and sign!

Charles

The warning is correct. Also do NOT register to vote, sometimes people at the DMV will tell her to register to vote, they have done it to Alla. Also when doing things like applying for student loans or enrolling in school, mistakenly checking the wrng box can be a problem later. Be very careful, she is NOT a citizen until they sau she is a citizen. She is a "resident". For the most part her rights are the same.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wife? about 4 years.

maybe 5.

depends on how fast she gets the first green card.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.