Impossible

Thinking I have been had

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A little about myself. I have been in a relationship with the husband for 2 years. He finally came here on a K1 visa at the beginning of the year. Things were ok, normal adjustment issues but nothing to major. We ended up marrying close to the 90 mark, which of course he had an issue with since he wanted to marry immediately. I just felt that online is good and visits are wonderful but real life is another story. He had the opportunity to work under the table, and yes I know this is illegal, but it was for a family friend and was truly just trying to help him out. when it was time to adjust his status we had a few issues and didn't have the money to do so right away. Since he was working, I asked for him to help out with the monies for AOS. This turned into a big argument, but in the end he did start saving as well as I did also. Things have not been great between us and one night we had an argument and I asked him to leave the house. Then I said don't leave we need to talk this out. His own choice was to leave and stay with friends. When he wanted to come back I said I needed time to think, but in the end I felt we should work things out or at least try to. What we decided was if things didn't work out we would split in a normal manner and not fight about it.

Well another issue has come up and what came out in this argument is if "This time he left he would make sure he had his divorce papers in hand". He also made a comment about getting a lawyer through his embassy and proving that I have been a horrible women and abused him mentally. He also made a comment about me going to prison and it was all a game to bring him here. He then went on to say that he has recorded all the arguments and has evidence against me. He said it was illegal to ask him for money to help out since it was my responsibility and he came here "under my support".

Now I sit here at a loose. I feel that we didn't adjust his status for financial reasons but he is going to say I would not do it for other reasons. When the truth is we just came up with the money recently to do so. I don't know what to do and I feel like he is going to take so much from me, claiming that I am a horrible person.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hmm. Sounds like he may be trying to set you up for a Vawa case. I would never be alone with him again. Move away if you can. Change your number and file a divorce. Sorry for you. Thats tough.

Timeline

Hmm. Sounds like he may be trying to set you up for a Vawa case. I would never be alone with him again. Move away if you can. Change your number and file a divorce. Sorry for you. Thats tough.

I can't move away, I own my home. I have a life, job, kids. Isnt there anything to protect the US citizen in cases like this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles. I would advice you to seek a legal advice of an attorney. Even a restraining order, so he may stay away from you. If he is threatening you with mental or any abuse then you need to careful from here on end. Do not be alone with him and since you can't relocate I would say make sure all your meetings are in a public place and document everything.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Timeline

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles. I would advice you to seek a legal advice of an attorney. Even a restraining order, so he may stay away from you. If he is threatening you with mental or any abuse then you need to careful from here on end. Do not be alone with him and since you can't relocate I would say make sure all your meetings are in a public place and document everything.

Good luck! :thumbs:

I understand what everyone is saying about trying not to be alone with him, but he is still living in my home saying all of this. This is why I don't know what I can do to help myself.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I will call the police and let them know all the treat. You have to protect yourself and your family. Get the police report that will help you. If he goes ahead of u to the police then its his words against you. Protect yourself and ur kid. Howerver, this is the last result if u can not works thigh out. Good luck ju

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually even your post here is some documentation of events. If things go down hill you have dated evidence of your knowledge of his prior threats.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

He's been prepped to collect evidence useful for filing a VAWA case.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is nothing that you have done or said that would send you to prison. He has nothing to hold over your head in that department. He can say what he likes... right now you have two choices - stay married to him, work on your relationship through counselling etc. and adjust his status normally; or hand him divorce papers and tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out. You're not legally obligated to do ANYTHING for him, and if he hasn't adjusted status yet, there isn't anything he can do about it unless he has real evidence of abuse on your part (which he obviously doesn't.) Even if he did cook something up that he thinks would pass USCIS inspection, it's not your problem any more after you're divorced.

Under NO circumstances, leave your own home - he's the one who's got to go. If you left and he filed a restraining order against you, things could get very messy for you.

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have lived your story. My ex came on a K1 and was in a hurry to be married when I wanted to wait it out a little bit. Long story short, the verbal and emotional abuse began and we were seperated. I owned my home and had to remove my children and pets to live in a shelter until he was ordered out of the house. We are divorced and I did not do AOS with him. I guess he adjusted claiming abuse because I can't figure out how he is still here. None the less, prepare yourself and look out for yourself and your children. These men are heartless and being in the states is all that matters to them. Cut your losses now and start the healing process.

9/11/11 Married

2/17/12 AOS package mailed (I130, I486, I765)

2/20/12 AOS package delivered

2/23/12 NOA 1 texts and emails received

3/2/12 Recv'd Biometrics appt letter for 3/22/12

3/22/12 Biometrics completed

4/4/12 Notified interview is 5/8/12

4/16/12 EAD in production

4/25/12 EAD received

5/8/12 AOS interview

5/8/12 APPROVED!!!!!

Since you cannot leave your home, can you have someone stay there with you? Even if its just when he's there? File a restraining order and file a complaint with the police. You must start the documentation process!! Its imperative that you do so. Also, in this country, if someone threatens you harm, it is considered a "Terrorist Threat". This law is not black and white but it may help you. Get a tape recorder of some kind and record all conversations you have with him. If you do this in your home, you DO NOT need his permission to be recorded. Also, you DO NOT need permission to record him if its in a public place! :) Only when its a private dwelling or on the phone. Try not to be alone with him ever again. Send an email to the Embassy informing them of his false pretenses and using you for citizenship. I wish you the best. This has got to be the yuckiest feeling ever and Im sorry youre going through it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Since you cannot leave your home, can you have someone stay there with you? Even if its just when he's there? File a restraining order and file a complaint with the police. You must start the documentation process!! Its imperative that you do so. Also, in this country, if someone threatens you harm, it is considered a "Terrorist Threat". This law is not black and white but it may help you. Get a tape recorder of some kind and record all conversations you have with him. If you do this in your home, you DO NOT need his permission to be recorded. Also, you DO NOT need permission to record him if its in a public place! :) Only when its a private dwelling or on the phone. Try not to be alone with him ever again. Send an email to the Embassy informing them of his false pretenses and using you for citizenship. I wish you the best. This has got to be the yuckiest feeling ever and Im sorry youre going through it.

OP - check with an attorney familiar with the recording laws of your state before you proceed with recording your husband, the legal advice you get here, especially from the above poster, is worth what you've paid for it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Like everyone said get a restraining order, file a police report if needed, see an attorney immediately change the locks on the home, get a roommate. Make sure all your neighbors know he is not there.

Be Careful.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Like everyone said get a restraining order, file a police report if needed, see an attorney immediately change the locks on the home, get a roommate. Make sure all your neighbors know he is not there.

Be Careful.

Lastnight after he said all those things to me was very interesting. He now claims those were just angry words, but I dont believe any of that. Sure you can say alot of things when you are angry, but you don't come up with something like he said without actually researching it or having a plan. An immigration attorney helped us with the K1 visit, I think it is time to get ahold of him and let him know what is going on. My mind won't stop, I am hurt, scared, and frustrated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.