Anurag1

Very very very tough life now... Plz HELP

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All !! This is really a sad story now. When we decided to be together here in US, everything seems so good and we were happy. We were confident that with my degrees ( Bachelors in Accounting & MBA (Finance) ) from India and more then 5 years of experience working for different American companies in India (Through consulting and outsourcing) I will find something in US. So I landed here in June, got my EAD in August and green card in october. Since september I have gone all out looking for a job, met all the recruiters, have been interviewed by like 4 different organizations...but all in vain. No Success... Many recruiters have even stopped answering my calls. Never felt so unwanted and sad... All this is causing so much stress for both of us... at times both of us cry (but dont show to each other). We thought of this as a wonderful dream come true to be together after all that hard work and pain of immigration process but now I feel I am in a deep dark tunnel and there is no end to it. Thinking of leaving US now but she can't because she is still doing her graduation. Brings tears to my eyes when I look at her innocent face and the situation we are in :-( .... very very very tough life now. Please advise what should I do. Any help will be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, I know its so hard to adjust to a place where everything is new and you feel your skills are overlooked. I'm sorry for your hardship, but as I've said before, there are a lot of lazy people out there, and the right employer will see your ambition and hire you! It takes time, and you are not alone! Don't let it reflect your skills and your accomplishments! remember how far you've come and never lose sight of it!!! You have already made your dreams come true, your fault is that you are too strong willed which is not a fault at all! keep at it, and eventually you will end up in the right place. Do not fret, and have confidence in yourself! you are already half way there!

good luck to you! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP, do not look at the difficulty of finding a job as defeat. This is a very tough labor market, you have good credentials, so do not take it too personal.

Some employer will recognize your skills, education and experience and see you as an asset to the company, then make you an offer. You have to stay in the fight until you cross paths with that employer. Also, there are people without jobs with many years of experience and have the same degrees as you have, the market is tight and the competition is fierce.

You and your sweetheart have come too far to give up now, things will get better and your relationship will be stronger as a result of pulling together through this very trying time.

Good luck.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi All !! This is really a sad story now. When we decided to be together here in US, everything seems so good and we were happy. We were confident that with my degrees ( Bachelors in Accounting & MBA (Finance) ) from India and more then 5 years of experience working for different American companies in India (Through consulting and outsourcing) I will find something in US. So I landed here in June, got my EAD in August and green card in october. Since september I have gone all out looking for a job, met all the recruiters, have been interviewed by like 4 different organizations...but all in vain. No Success... Many recruiters have even stopped answering my calls. Never felt so unwanted and sad... All this is causing so much stress for both of us... at times both of us cry (but dont show to each other). We thought of this as a wonderful dream come true to be together after all that hard work and pain of immigration process but now I feel I am in a deep dark tunnel and there is no end to it. Thinking of leaving US now but she can't because she is still doing her graduation. Brings tears to my eyes when I look at her innocent face and the situation we are in :-( .... very very very tough life now. Please advise what should I do. Any help will be appreciated.

You're in good company. The reality is that in the US there are over 13 million people in the same predicament, unemployed. This is not a recent occurrence. It existed when you began this process. Now that you two have worked through the visa and green card process it's time to make seeking employment your full time job.

For many job seekers now the best way to secure employment is through referrals from friends and colleagues. Those networks are probably not as well developed for you here in the US as in your home country. That being said, the challenge is to build those network here so that you can secure the type of job that you want. Similar to the visa process it's going to take time and effort. You and your spouse have invested a lot to bring yourselves together here to build a life. This is simply the latest challenge for you two to overcome. And yes, it stinks and can make you feel hopeless.

Perhaps you may need to aim a bit lower in the job market to get a foothold in your industry. I have hundreds of friends who have done the same. And that is also the circumstances I find myself in presently. The old adage about it's easier to find a job when you have a job is true. And we are seeing some job listings that specifically state that unemployed persons will not be considered. So don't feel that you "need" to be at a certain level. A job and the accompanying income will make your search for the "right" job that much easier for both you and your spouse. This is going to be a tough economy for a while.

Have an open and frank discussion with your spouse. Explore all the ideas and possibilities. Make this, and any other important decisions, together. It's not going to be easy for a while. And depending on your spouse's field of study they may be in the same situation upon graduation. Sharing the tough times is part of being a couple. Make a plan together and see it through the tough times. You are building a life together. That's a lot easier to do when you can eat breakfast and dinner with your spouse face to face rather than via Skype.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The truly American thing to do is start a business of your own. Then vote the current bastards out. This used to be the land of opportunity before the lefties socialized it.

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

A job is not a right. It is a gift from someone more ingenious than yourself.

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

Now is the time to get creative. Maybe even change job fields to a related but not direct field that you have education in. Try an keep your resume active by volunteering your services at a local non profit. A thought that just came to mind is H & R block.......or a similar tax service. They're always hiring and they offer US tax training. This may not be your cup of tea but it gives you the idea to think out of the traditional "box" so to speak. Your job probably won't be at HQ,unless your very lucky. Often times you have to take a lesser job and prove yourself over again to get where you want to be. Best of luck OP!!

Keep your head up and keep trying......that is what has made the US great and what will keep it that way.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Go to Robert Half or Accountemps and try for temporary placement until you can find a job. Even if you're placed in something below your skill level, it gets you in the door and lets you dazzle them.

Do you have your CPA? If not, consider working on it.

Find a cause you feel passionate about and volunteer. Volunteering gives you a chance to meet other civic-minded business professionals and show them your work ethic.

Is there an Indian organization in your area you can join? Join it. You may find opportunities through that kind of network.

Tax season is upon us. H&R Block always hires like crazy to do tax returns. Generally pretty boring stuff, but it's a job and you'll meet lots of people and you'll keep your skills fresh.

Think about the companies you worked with in outsourcing/consulting. What industries were they in? Can you target companies in your area in the same industry? Make sure your cover letter lists your major accomplishments and your resume shows the contributions you've made on those projects.

What about tutoring? Post on Craig's list and at the local high schools and community colleges. A lot of people freak out when they see numbers and can't handle Accounting (even though it's not math, it's just organizing) and Finance.

Last resort: find a large corporation nearby with a lot of Indians working at it. Open a tea stall. I've never found tea or coffee in the US as fantastic as in India. You would have lines around the block.

Edited by Bec_Dipu

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Filed: Other Timeline

For years now American jobs have been outsourced in great parts to India and China. If you are interested in secure employment, India is the place to be right now. It has an economy that is growing and will continue to grow, whereas the U.S. is on a decline and will continue to do so.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

For years now American jobs have been outsourced in great parts to India and China. If you are interested in secure employment, India is the place to be right now. It has an economy that is growing and will continue to grow, whereas the U.S. is on a decline and will continue to do so.

This, unfortunately, is very true: the consequences of globalization, I'm afraid. It's a tough job market to get a foothold in right now. A LOT of people out of work and some people, with years' of experience and willing to take starting level jobs. I wish you all the luck. There's nothing to suggest other than what's been already said: make job seeking a full-time job (8-10 hours/day) and be willing to start at a lot lower level than you were at previously...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hang In there, I have a pretty good resume myself and was laid off ( first time in my life ) in 09 It took me almost 18 months to find something again, most likely cause the job market is tough right now. It seems though as if companies are breaking out of the funk and beginning to hire again, its just it take a lot longer than any of us have ever been used to. There are a lot of good people here and im sure somebody will offer you something when you least expect it, just seems the way it is. Hang tough you'll be OK.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can try expanding your network. Truth is, Nepotism (not literally but somehow related to it) is everywhere. Get to know more people in your chosen field and hopefully get to know someone from a company that needs someone like you.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Anurag,

With a MBA and 5 yrs working with a US Company in India, plus green card.. my question is where are u interviewing? And how did your interviews go? Not to sound mean, but, alot of jobs requiring MBA w/ professional exp. are about relationships and selling yourself at the interview. They want to know more about YOU and less about your educational path. I have the same problem you are encountering w/ Indian IT guys coming here and having difficulties. Have your resume critiqued by a professional, they are very helpful. Go to free interviewing sessions at local colleges or practice interviewing .. Reason I say this is the corporate HR culture is vastly different here vs. India. Find out what you may be lacking in the interview process and possibly get recommendations on improving.. All the best..

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anurag,

With a MBA and 5 yrs working with a US Company in India, plus green card.. my question is where are u interviewing? And how did your interviews go? Not to sound mean, but, alot of jobs requiring MBA w/ professional exp. are about relationships and selling yourself at the interview. They want to know more about YOU and less about your educational path. I have the same problem you are encountering w/ Indian IT guys coming here and having difficulties. Have your resume critiqued by a professional, they are very helpful. Go to free interviewing sessions at local colleges or practice interviewing .. Reason I say this is the corporate HR culture is vastly different here vs. India. Find out what you may be lacking in the interview process and possibly get recommendations on improving.. All the best..

Great advice. Also, have you tried to apply for lower paying jobs? Just so you can have a steady paycheck and help out a little, while applying for jobs you're qualified to do with your education and experience. Holiday season is starting so there is plenty of seasonal work, try to apply for them just to get a sense of working again and having money in your pocket, but at the same time keep applying for jobs you're qualified in doing.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.