Anurag1

Very very very tough life now... Plz HELP

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It doesn't matter where you are right now; God has moments of favor for you. You may not be able to figure it out, but that's okay. That's not your job. Your job is to believe. God's already figured it out. You just have to keep on doing the right things..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The guy is looking for advice. Not political opinions.

Hang in there. It's not easy for anyone to find work right now. You've only been looking for three months. That's not long in today's economic climate.

LOL that's the first thing I thought when I read his comment. Then he replies again with this gem, "A job is not a right. It is a gift from someone more ingenious than yourself." LOLWTFBBQ. That's got to be dumbest thing I ever heard.

Anyway, he's only been looking for 3 months. I wouldn't be thinking it's the end of the world just yet. It takes longer to find a job now (try a year)... and he's lucky enough to even get a job right now. I would suggest looking for lower paying jobs that require manual labor, since those are the ones that are currently hiring. While he's working and back to a routine and steady money in his pocket to help out with bills, he can still apply for jobs that pay more while still working at his job.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Go to Robert Half or Accountemps and try for temporary placement until you can find a job. Even if you're placed in something below your skill level, it gets you in the door and lets you dazzle them.

Do you have your CPA? If not, consider working on it.

Find a cause you feel passionate about and volunteer. Volunteering gives you a chance to meet other civic-minded business professionals and show them your work ethic.

Is there an Indian organization in your area you can join? Join it. You may find opportunities through that kind of network.

Tax season is upon us. H&R Block always hires like crazy to do tax returns. Generally pretty boring stuff, but it's a job and you'll meet lots of people and you'll keep your skills fresh.

Think about the companies you worked with in outsourcing/consulting. What industries were they in? Can you target companies in your area in the same industry? Make sure your cover letter lists your major accomplishments and your resume shows the contributions you've made on those projects.

What about tutoring? Post on Craig's list and at the local high schools and community colleges. A lot of people freak out when they see numbers and can't handle Accounting (even though it's not math, it's just organizing) and Finance.

Last resort: find a large corporation nearby with a lot of Indians working at it. Open a tea stall. I've never found tea or coffee in the US as fantastic as in India. You would have lines around the block.

I am in touch with accounting recruiters such as Robert half, Parker and lynch etc. Problem here is that recruiters (or even companies ) want you to have US credentials. I am right now looking for Staff/Senior Accountant jobs or as a financial analyst. Though back in India I was already a manager (I am the fastest and youngest to be there in any of the companies I worked in). I knew it that I would have to start afresh and aim low, but I am afraid to start too low because in US the promotions or raises are not that much as in India. It takes years here for people to get promoted (From what I have learnt in past working with all these US clients). Also I am working for CFA level 1 right now and my degrees are in evaluation process for CPA (w/ Texas State Board of Accounting - Please let me know if my bachelors and masters will help me qualify for 150 hours rule w/ 30 hours accounting, if you know about it or anyone else reading this). I tried to get for a low end job but the recruiter said that the company was unwilling to even interview me because I am "over-qualified".

Tea stall is not my cup of tea but u r invited for one anytime my friend. Please let me know about your experiences and how you got your first job. Thanks !!

The truly American thing to do is start a business of your own. Then vote the current bastards out. This used to be the land of opportunity before the lefties socialized it.

This is the answer. Its the decade of, "Make your own job."

:thumbs:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Anurag,

With a MBA and 5 yrs working with a US Company in India, plus green card.. my question is where are u interviewing? And how did your interviews go? Not to sound mean, but, alot of jobs requiring MBA w/ professional exp. are about relationships and selling yourself at the interview. They want to know more about YOU and less about your educational path. I have the same problem you are encountering w/ Indian IT guys coming here and having difficulties. Have your resume critiqued by a professional, they are very helpful. Go to free interviewing sessions at local colleges or practice interviewing .. Reason I say this is the corporate HR culture is vastly different here vs. India. Find out what you may be lacking in the interview process and possibly get recommendations on improving.. All the best..

My interviews seems to be perfectly fine. Except for couple of them asked me about SEC filing like 10K and 10Q which I do not have experience in. I have very good background working for some really big names on behalf of third parties in India. I was promoted in my last job due to my ability to make an impact on the bottomline of the client, which I have mentioned in my resume as my accomplishment. But it seems that everyone is wary of hiring someone who is out of job and that is what hurts me, because I always held myself in high regards and with big ambitions. Now it all seems to be falling apart... No one is giving me an opportunity and believe me that I can really be a big asset for the company who hires me. But the wait seems to be loooooooooooong and never ending.... It just makes me feel so worthless and bad. Its difficult to even describe it. :-( (Please let me know more about that college interview thing....Where can I go for it and talk to whom. I am close to University of Texas- Dallas. I would like to know if I am messing up somewhere during my interviews). Thanks !!

Timeline

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to read my post and given me words of encouragement. But it feels very bad to be in this situation and I always carry sort of a head ache (which is not helping...I know). There are jobs in market that I see everyday but I don't know why people here just ignore me. It HURTS..ALOT

Please don't take it personal.......to them it's business and in this climate unless you're a slam dunk home run hire, (meaning Ivy league with 10 years experience) the company will hold on to its money and not hire due to the uncertain business climate. When things lighten up or you start really getting some good networking done things will be stagnant. THIS ISN'T YOUR FAULT! Maybe try taking a course at the closest major University and find a trusted professor who may have connections/reference for your work?

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The guy is looking for advice. Not political opinions.

...truncated...

And that's what he got...good advice...not mollycoddling.

You know, jobs are created when enterprising people start a busisness and it becomes profitable and it grows so that they need help with it...not by people somehow wishing them into existance.

Jobs are tough to get because there is a mind set in this country that making a profit is somehow wrong and that business is evil.

I find it highly ironic that my Russian fiancee is already planning to use the first year she comes here to master the language and study the economic landscape to identify what business opportunities there are here.

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

Timeline

...truncated... It HURTS..ALOT

Well...they say the truth hurts....

I would rather tell you the truth than tell you nice little lies that feel good and rob you of what you need to hear.

Let me qualify my statements a little. I hold 4 degrees in engineering...electrical....I graduated #1 in my class....

I am the child of immigrants who came to this country with $48 in their pockets after a devastating world war which the country they came from started.

Also....I have scrubbed toilets....swept parking lots....slaughtered beef....and flipped burgers...

I even had the handicap of growing up in California...

but....never has my family starved or lacked for medical care...and I did not need government aid

So...start thinking outside the box, thicken your skin, and maybe lower your standards a bit until you land the job of your dreams..

Edited by Misha & Ira

event.png

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

Timeline

I want to apogize in advance for misquoting the OP in the above post. After rereading his post that quote does not belong there. I was a little incensed by the poster I was originally replying to.

event.png

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Anurag,

Stay focused, it's a down period right now, but, you are a qualified and bright guy. Things will turn around. In the short-term, I would suggest picking up a part-time or full time position to get yourself back in the workforce, be in, regional bank or something, and gain some USA work experience on your resume. I agree, many interviewers don't like long gaps between employment. Take some accreditation in a local community college i.e. P.M.P which looks good w/ MBA. Will open doors.

Also, I know for a FACT ,Dallas is full of highly educated desi people who have networking events for IT, business and law. Go online on linkedin and find out about indian business socials / happy hours in Dallas, and start mingling. Create a good network of business contacts, have new business cards made , or electronic online resume to market yourself.

All the best, bro..

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Anurag,

Private msg me. I can look up some contacts in Dallas, TX and possibly help out..

Best,

W23

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Genpact has an office in Dallas. Have you tried your luck there? If anyone can appreciate your experience in outsourcing/consulting, it's an outsourcing/consulting firm started in India by GE.

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Timeline

Genpact has an office in Dallas. Have you tried your luck there? If anyone can appreciate your experience in outsourcing/consulting, it's an outsourcing/consulting firm started in India by GE.

Will contact them first thing on Tuesday (coz I know about Monday blues) ... Thanks for advice my friend.

It doesn't matter where you are right now; God has moments of favor for you. You may not be able to figure it out, but that's okay. That's not your job. Your job is to believe. God's already figured it out. You just have to keep on doing the right things..

Unfortunately GOD isnt helping us. We are in tough situation rigth now. :-(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.