Bank Froze Our Joint Account

37 posts in this topic

My wife got a CR1 visa. She entered the US no problems. We got her green card, her SSN, her driver's license. One hoop after another. Finally, we can open a bank account and get our finances in order.

One week later, no warning at all, our bank account is frozen. We can't take money out. We can't put money in. This is where all of our money is, and there was no warning. The representative on the phone said due to the Patriot Act, they cannot unfreeze the account until paperwork goes through verifying her identification.

This is so inconvenient and frustrating to me because it just makes me feel like there is no end to this journey. At what point can we finally sleep at night knowing that my wife can do normal things and be treated like a normal person in this country. The fact that there was no warning, and that ALL of our money is being held out of our reach is really really outrageous to me. I have checks and direct deposits and payments I have to worry about now. And the worst thing is that it will take over a week to get this sorted out. This is an outrageous amount of time, and goes to show that you really need to have your money in more than one place.

Just a warning to all of you to always keep money in a few places. I'm starting to think under the mattress is the best place to put our money :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know how you feel. This happened to my husband and I a total of 3 times. Was this Bank of America?

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

I know how you feel. This happened to my husband and I a total of 3 times. Was this Bank of America?

This was Vanguard. Our main account is a money market account on there.

Sorry to hear it happened to you so many times. How did you resolve the issue and figure out what was causing it and how to avoid it?

I'm curious - under which part of the Patriot Act was this done? What reason did they give?

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

This is good information. I think I will have Claudeth only put a little into her account to start with.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Thats ludicrous especially given all the hoops one has to jump through and the security checks with DHS during this whole process in order to get the green card, SSN and drivers licence in the first place. What!! DHS not good enough :wacko: Something seriously wrong. Hope this gets sorted out soon for you. What an absolute pain in the derriere

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Wow I am so sorry to hear this happened. I am amazed at after all the checks and the CR1 takes long time that this would be an issue. Once my husband is here we will open an account jointly and keep funds set aside. Thanks for bringing this issue to light and pray that it is resolved soon.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Timeline

I got a letter from Chase bank about a month ago, saying they'd lost Felicity's photo ID, and needed another copy of it for tax records or something like that. That's shocking, because I watched the woman at the bank make 2 copies of everything. She hasn't accessed the account since she's been stateside, but I hope her account hasn't been frozen! <_<

US Bank also stuffed our account info up as well, putting Felicity's middle name first on the account, and then listing her first name as the middle. It's been a nightmare to straighten it out, having to call them at least 4 times, being told every time it's been fixed. Finally they just sent out a signature card. Problem is, there's no one that will notarize it, because she's not here to sign it in front of them.

Banks, such a pain in the #######. I'm getting really close to just keeping everything in mason jars out in the back yard. :P

3.png

vdlkye.gif

Filed: Other Country: Cameroon
Timeline
I got a letter from Chase bank about a month ago, saying they'd lost Felicity's photo ID, and needed another copy of it for tax records or something like that. That's shocking, because I watched the woman at the bank make 2 copies of everything. She hasn't accessed the account since she's been stateside, but I hope her account hasn't been frozen! <_<

US Bank also stuffed our account info up as well, putting Felicity's middle name first on the account, and then listing her first name as the middle. It's been a nightmare to straighten it out, having to call them at least 4 times, being told every time it's been fixed. Finally they just sent out a signature card. Problem is, there's no one that will notarize it, because she's not here to sign it in front of them.

Banks, such a pain in the #######. I'm getting really close to just keeping everything in mason jars out in the back yard. :P

Thank you for all this information guys..I will know what to do when my husband gets here....(which is soon)

It's good to spread your eggs in different baskets..ie....matresses or mason jars.. :D

at the same time I am sorry you guys had to go through such problems....again, thank you for sharing your

experience with us.......

god bless! (F)(L)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That sounds crazy. I don't understand why they have done that. I added my hubby to my acct. He does not have his own yet. Can this happen to our joint account?

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Very useful info, we are just getting started on the opening of accounts etc., with fiance's name and mine on them. Thank you for this important info and needless to say I am livid about it, as I am sure you all are too!

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing to do with the Patriot Act.

Time to move banks.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you for all this information guys..I will know what to do when my husband gets here....(which is soon)

It's good to spread your eggs in different baskets..ie....matresses or mason jars.. :D

at the same time I am sorry you guys had to go through such problems....again, thank you for sharing your

experience with us.......

god bless! (F)(L)

I consider my mason jars a timed deposit... I have difficulty remembering where I buried them.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.