Bank Froze Our Joint Account

37 posts in this topic

The representative on the phone said due to the Patriot Act, they cannot unfreeze the account until paperwork goes through verifying her identification.

Nothing to do with the Patriot Act.

Time to move banks.

so the bank representative lied to him?? this is not the first time this has happened ....

on feb 8, the nuns of the Holy Name Monastery had their wachovia bank acct frozen down in florida. they too, were told that the patriot act was the cause for the acct being frozen. the troubles started because one 80-year-old nun who is a signatory to the account didn't have her Social Security number and photo ID on file.

among the lesser-known parts of the USA Patriot Act are banking provisions designed to help law enforcement agents track potential terrorists and money launderers. The law holds financial institutions accountable if money is funneled through them to terrorist organizations. the Patriot Act requires banks to verify client information on all new bank accounts but not on existing accounts. Many banks, however, are checking information on existing accounts as well.

it's amazing how many people remain ignorant in regards to the Patriot Act and then whine and moan and complain when it actually affects them (this is a general statement and not specifically directed towards the OP).

sorry boiler ... this has EVERYTHING to do with the Patriot Act.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Wow I am so sorry to hear this happened. I am amazed at after all the checks and the CR1 takes long time that this would be an issue. Once my husband is here we will open an account jointly and keep funds set aside. Thanks for bringing this issue to light and pray that it is resolved soon.

Mary

Ditto

thanks for posting . wow

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
DHS not good enough :wacko:

:no: I guess the bank thinks they can do a better background check and a more thorough investigation :blink:

Stupid banks

I sure hope you get it all worked out soon

US-Can-Flag-sm.jpg

Our complete Visa Journey

More information concerning the DORA Program

Our Old DORA thread filled with lots of info

.png

:no: I guess the bank thinks they can do a better background check and a more thorough investigation :blink:

Stupid banks

again ... that's not the issue! banks have regulations that they now have to follow and abide by due to the wonderful Patriot Act. do some research! :thumbs:

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

Timeline

Stupid banks

again ... that's not the issue! banks have regulations that they now have to follow and abide by due to the wonderful Patriot Act. do some research! :thumbs:

The regulations are each banks interpretation of the Patriot Act, tis why some banks decide to do this more thorough investigation and others don't. Some allow new spouses to be added to accounts with no problem, some demand every piece of proof possible :yes:

US-Can-Flag-sm.jpg

Our complete Visa Journey

More information concerning the DORA Program

Our Old DORA thread filled with lots of info

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is a pain. But, on a good note, our money is relatively seccure. My husband is very scared about putting money in our account. His family lost 40 thousand dollars when their bank in Nigeria bellied up. So, there are problems here that are big pains (and the "patriot" act is a big cause of usless hassle and harrassment- just my opionion) but we are better off than some places. At least we can be fairly assured that our money will be there tomorrow (or whenever it becomes unfrozen if it is frozen). Gosh, that is got to be a pain. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to access my bank account. It's surely something to think about once he gets added.

Met on internet 6/04. Married at court house in Aba, Nigeria 12/04. 3/05 traditional ceremony in Nigeria w/ my picture. 12/05 finally together again. 4/06 ceremony/celebration in the states together

I 130

1/10/05-sent

2/11/05-NOA1

5/30-touch

6/16-rep contact

6/27-Approved

7/?/05-ds3032/i864 bill generated

7/22/05-sent payment $70

8/1/05-IV visa bill generated

8/11/05-sent bill overnight

8/20/05- rec. 864 packet

8/25/05- nvc rec. IV bill

8/29/05-overnight 864

9/6/05-rec. ds230 (waiting on husband info)

9/28/05-sent ds230

9/29/05-ds230 rec

11/9/05 RFE for orig. birth cert.

11/9/05-sent origional

11/29/05 case complete-abandoned for k-3

129f

3/2/05 sent 3/15/04 noa 1 6/17/05 touched

6/20/05 touched 6/29/05 -heard approved on phone

7/21/05 - husband got packet/interview date at consulate

12/15/05- visa Approved!

12/20/05 picked up visa

AOS

1/9/06 mailed AOS & EAD

1/18/06 NOA 1 AOS and EAD

2/8/06 received appt. notice for bio

2/2/06 EAD touched

2/22/06 EAD touched

3/6/06 apt. date for both bio.

3/7/06 AOS/EAD touched

3/10/06 EAD on it's way

3/14/06 received EAD

3/20/06 filed for ssn

3/28/06 rec ssn

5/10/06 rec noa for AOS interview on June 26

6/22/06 found out pregnant- So happy!!!!

6/26/06 interview-Officer led us to believe we'd have card soon

7/8/06 e-mail stating welcome letter on it's way!

7/13/06 rec. Green card. Yipee!!

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

if you READ the patriot act - nowhere does it specify what the banks need to do. banks have implemented their OWN assanine regulations to cover their a$$es and have been know to arbritarily freeze accounts and what not and blame it on the patriot act. the actual 'freezing' of an account is NOT sanctioned by the patriot act - but the provisions it lays out and the subsequent controls banks have laid in place to meet the criteria set forth by the act is what leads to banks freezing accounts. what is silly is their abuse of the patriot act when in fact they can do much of what needs to be done without freezing accounts and using 'scare' tactics to have some 80 year old nun come in and give her social . they just like to throw that term around to shut you up.

Timeline

3/09/07 - Mailed out I-751 to TSC - expiration date is 03/13/07 - Cutting it close!

3/12/07 - USPS confirms delivery

3/13/07 - Check clears bank

3/21/07 - Reciept for BioMetrics Fee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So what do you suggest Juni?ask before hand if this is thier protocol, change banks

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Timeline

I got a letter from Chase bank about a month ago, saying they'd lost Felicity's photo ID, and needed another copy of it for tax records or something like that. That's shocking, because I watched the woman at the bank make 2 copies of everything. She hasn't accessed the account since she's been stateside, but I hope her account hasn't been frozen! <_<

US Bank also stuffed our account info up as well, putting Felicity's middle name first on the account, and then listing her first name as the middle. It's been a nightmare to straighten it out, having to call them at least 4 times, being told every time it's been fixed. Finally they just sent out a signature card. Problem is, there's no one that will notarize it, because she's not here to sign it in front of them.

Banks, such a pain in the #######. I'm getting really close to just keeping everything in mason jars out in the back yard. :P

Thank you for all this information guys..I will know what to do when my husband gets here....(which is soon)

It's good to spread your eggs in different baskets..ie....matresses or mason jars.. :D

at the same time I am sorry you guys had to go through such problems....again, thank you for sharing your

experience with us.......

dayum . I am gonna get me a box of mason jars myself.

oh god this is horrible.

god bless! (F)(L)

shon.gif

I agree that it doesn't seem like anything to do with the Patrio Act. If it were, why did they let her name go on the account in the first place - most banks are very strict about providing ID at the time of opening the account. Most likely something else.

The same thing happened to me, only it was because they say someone else who had lived at my address had a bad credit score. They allowed me to open the acocunt and pay in every penny I had which was about $16000 at the time. I wanted to open a savings account so literally got my own bank, Union bank of CA to issue a cashier's check, walked across the road to Washington Mutual who having verified all my ID's etc, allowed me to open the account and about one week later told me the accound was suspended and that no activity could take place on the account whatsoever. I had bills to pay and went and created merry stink that they had MY money and because of nothing I had done, I was not alllowed to access my money, even to withdraw it and pay it into an acount somewhere else. It wasn't until I got my own bank involved and threatened to charge Washington Mutual with my overdraft fees caused by their freezing my money that I got it all sorted out.

WAMU - suck big time!

Now they're trying to chase my husband for a debt I personally paid over a year ago - @#**#!!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

I know how you feel. This happened to my husband and I a total of 3 times. Was this Bank of America?

This was Vanguard. Our main account is a money market account on there.

Sorry to hear it happened to you so many times. How did you resolve the issue and figure out what was causing it and how to avoid it?

They told us it was because I didn't have a SSN the first time. We told them I was a CDN citizen with an f-1 visa, and the bank manager said he put in more paperwork so we should be fine. Then it happened again, so we went back, he did the same thing. After the third time we closed our account and went to Washington Mutual. We haven't had a problem since and we've been with them for over 1 yr 6 mos. Go wamu!

I also want to mention that the manager blamed the situation on the Patriot Act! So whether or not the Patriot Act has anything to do with it, I just find it funny that his higher ups would tell him to give us this excuse!

Edited by chocolaterie

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm curious - under which part of the Patriot Act was this done? What reason did they give?

Just like any part of the Patriot Act, they can just do what they want. It is a total joke of a act. If my bank did that to me, I would just take out my money and tell them to stick where the sun don't shine.

And FYI, the main author of the Patriot act is a Imagrinat from North Vietnam. He is not even a native USC but a Commie. That patriot act takes away so much of my civil rights.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.