Channah&Aaron

; I am soooo pissed off!!

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; let me start from the beginning as of it gives you a better view into the situation :whistle:...

* I came to the US August 12th 2011

* got married in Texas on August 28th

* filed for SSN a couple of days later.

This is what happened when I filed for SSN that day;

I asked this lady that I would like to apply for SSN/Card and she said OK. I told her about K1 and that I got married and that I'd like to have my husbands, thus my new last name on my SSCard. She said it wasn't possible because me changing my name should be approved by USCIS first (she was going through a file with procedures/information about K1's).

I told her that I didn't understand her. I came here on a K1 Fiance(e) Visa and got married 2 weeks after my arrival, so within 90 days and I also brought my valid passport with visa & I-94 inside of it AND my certified Marriage License.

Yet, she told me, a little aggrivated that she couldn't change my name as of, once again, it should be approved by USCIS.:pop:

Ok, same day, I posted a topic here about what I should do. Most of the VJ members told me that I should wait for my SSCard with my maiden name on it, and change it to my husbands name as soon as I received my SScard. Alright.....

I received my SScard a week after I applied, and 2 weeks later, TODAY, I went back to the Social Security Office to change my last name.

This is what happened today, take two :wacko: ;

I came into the office and got called by the same lady who "helped" me the first time I got there. I told her that I'd like to change my last name since I received my SScard with my maiden name. Again, I brought my passport with K1 Visa, I-94, and my certified Marriage License. She asked, weren't you here before a couple of weeks to apply for a SScard? I told her yes and that I received my SScard with my maiden name, but since I got married with my USC husband, I'd like to wear HIS name. :bonk:

She then started to put up this attitude, saying: what did I tell you last time?!!! I can't change your name until you get approval from USCIS. I told her with one eyebrow raised HOW? She then said that I have to change my name on my I-94!!!! I'm like, that is the white paper that I received in my passport as soon as I got through Customs and Border Security in the airport. How am I supposed to get a new I-94? Go out of the country, which I'm not allowed because I haven't received an AP yet or GC. So, since I didn't understand I asked her what she meant. She couldn't give me a straight answer and her attitude got worse:"I don't know how often I need to explain to you that I can't change your name, contact Homeland Security!!!!" :blink:

& then I got all aggrivated saying, you're the one who works here and should know what I need to do in order to get my name changes because I thought my Marriage License was enough to change my name since I am MARRIED! Then she started talking about that I can only get my name changed if I have my EAD or GC and contact Homeland Security. :unsure:

Ok, so this is what happened as of I thought I could change my last name on my SScard since I married my USC husband.

I am just confused because I thought it was easy to change my last name :whistle: .

What's the best thing I should do, wait til I get my EAD or GC? :help:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I had a problem with getting my SSN and was getting nowhere with the lady that was dealing with me I emailed the SS website. I told them the issue and they emailed me back and actually called me, they were very helpful and told me what to do and eventually it worked out. I have read so many different things on here that the Social Security offices tell people that are all contradicting. I would suggest emailing the SS head office and tell them your issue. Here is their website www.ssa.gov

It's amazing the different issues people have. I had no problem getting my married name on my card, my issue was the fact they said I wasn't allowed a SSN until I received my green card even though I had at least 2 months on my I-94 left.

Good luck.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I think what the employee is mis-communicating to you is that they can't change your name on the SS Card until USCIS updates it in the SAVE Database.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Shes lying lol i'm sorry you keep getting this idiot woman.

I got my ssn after marriage, 2 weeks after entry and did NOTHING with USCIS at all, hadn't even filed AOS yet and was granted SSN in married name.

The woman at the counter told me its no problem to do it in married name she just needs the marriage certificate, the process is the same as a USC changing their last name from marriage.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, I had the same thing. We got SS card with maiden name and after marriage applied for SS card with married name. It never arrived. Basically, we had to re-apply after we got GC. I recommend applying for SSN card with maiden name and changing it to married name after you get GC.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The problem might have to do with the marriage certificate from Texas. It lists only the maiden name and not the married name on the certificate.

My wife and I got married in Texas and we found it easier to get the SS# than it was to change the name. Like you said, they wanted proof of the change of name. We changed my wife's name on the I-485 application. Then we used the permanent residence card at the Social Security Department. You can also see if the marriage certificate will allow you to change your name on the driver's license and then try using that. My wife received her permit after getting the permanent residence card.

We went through the same #######, a bunch of dummies that get paid good money, that don't know there own policy !

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

You should have no problem. She just doesn't know what she's talking about. What if you just go back and try to speak to a different person or ask to speak to her supervisor. If they won't allow you to, then just do what someone else said and email or call them. I changed my name with no problem with just my marriage certificate. Sorry you have to keep dealing with her! :bonk:

June 7, 2010 - Will asked me to marry him, and I said YES!!
October 4, 2010 - Will sent away the I-129F Petition
October 12, 2010 - NOA1 received!
October 15, 2010 - First "touch"
October 18, 2010 - Second "touch"
March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 5, 2011 - Vancouver has our package!
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.
April 13, 2011 - faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver
April 14, 2011 - received Packet 4 via email
May 4, 2011 - Medical appointment
May 5, 2011 - Interview!! APPROVED smile.png

June 16, 2011 - POE at Blaine Peace Arch Crossing
June 28, 2011 - Got married by Elvis in Vegas!
Aug 8, 2011 - Received SSN in the mail.

Aug 31, 2011 - Sent off AOS Package
Sept 7, 2011 - Package received by USCIS
Sept 9, 2011 - Notice of Action email for AOS, EAD, and AP.
Sept 16, 2011 - Received my Biometrics Appt. letter for the 30th.
Sept 22, 2011 - RFE sad.png
Sept 30, 2011 - Biometrics Appt.
Oct 26, 2011 - Received interview letter for Dec 1st
Nov 4, 2011 - EAD/AP approved
Nov 12, 2011 - Received combo card in the mail
Dec 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED smile.png
Dec 9, 2011 - Greencard arrived in the mail!

Oct 18, 2013 - I-751 Package signed for at CA Service Center

Mar 5, 2014 - Approved! Awaiting greencard in the mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Thanks for your replies, so the conclusion is: their IQ is as low as a freakin' SHRIMP :blush: !!

Guess some members here have had their name changed on their SScard by just showing their marriage license :whistle: .

I already have my SScard, but just with my maiden name on it. :hehe:

Funny thing is, on my Marriage License from Texas, it says Mr. & Mrs. Burton :bonk:

& then she said I should update my I-94 thru USCIS and get a new I-94 with my new last name on it. I'm like, HUH?! Never heard of it :huh: !!

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The problem might have to do with the marriage certificate from Texas. It lists only the maiden name and not the married name on the certificate.

BUNK. Mine does not show mine in married name only maiden. Still got my SSN in married name.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

BUNK. Mine does not show mine in married name only maiden. Still got my SSN in married name.

Same here. It just shows my maiden name and my husband's full name. Nowhere does it show my new married name. I took my marriage certificate and they changed it no problem. Here in CA (not sure elsewhere) you cannot get a DL in your married name unless you have first changed your name with SSA. So that idea may not work. My suggestion if possible...go to another SS office and speak to someone else. Also, it sounds like emailing the SSA website may work as well. I have never heard of getting the I-94 in a new name. How is that even possible? Obviously this woman does not know anything about this process. Good luck! I hope you can sort it out soon!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I was told that you couldn't change your name on your Social Security card until you received the green card - which will have your new legal last name on it. Until then, the SSA goes by whatever name is on your I-94.

Filed: Timeline

First thing which SSA office was this?

Next send the e-mail:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ask

Make sure you list that you have K-1 status, the office where this happened and your phone number.

FYI

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

The marriage certificate not having married name is no big deal.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

B. Evidence of new name

Accept a name change document based on marriage, civil union or domestic partnership as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s original surname for either or both parties

D. Example of acceptable evidence to process a name change based on marriage

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the Numident, and if the marriage took place within the prior two years.

This is the one that woman needs to explain to you. Name on SSN record can be corrected even if you don't have work authorization, so why can't you do it when your I-94 is still valid.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is the biggest load of Bull ####### I have ever heard of. I like Inky had no issues at all. I was married 3 weeks went into SS office and got SSN in my married name. Showed my passport and marriage certificate/ license and he was so good and had no problems with doing it at all. When I went to take the DHS work authority off again no problem he just rechecked my parents name hence my maiden name and my last married name and he took the DHS off no worries and this is in Augusta GA. Some have suggested go to another SS office or ask for someone who knows the bloody laws. You should not have to go through this #######. But if they persist in not knowing then yeah you may have to wait for GC which is rubbish. And get a new I-94 WTH? She is on too much coffee this lady at SS office or too much something or maybe not enough of something lol.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.