Purple_Lilac

I don't want to leave him!

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I know you don't want to be apart from your husband, but please take the CR-1 advice, file for the petition, stay as long as you can, and come back to visit during the process. This is an option that you as a Canadian have that a lot of us don't have. Yes you can AOS and stay here, but every time someone does this, it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to have our fiancee/spouse visit during the process or to have our relatives visit down the road. People complain about how difficult the process is to get a visitor or tourist visa and to be Frank, the AOS is exactly why. People taking advantage of the AOS process. It is not intended for someone to come here with the intent to get married as you did. It is no more difficult for you to be apart than it was/is for any of the rest of us so please do this the right way and be happy with the fact that you can be with your SO during much of the process where others have to spend the entire time apart.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Because she had intent to immigrate and the DOS considers marriage that soon after entry (30/60) as material misrepresentation to the CBP officer when she applied to temporarily visit. I've worked in the past with the DOS an have seen this happen too often.

The rule will only apply if she transfers jurisdiction to DOS. If she goes through USCIS, she won't have a problem even with a marriage that short after arrival. See Matter of Cavazos. They are routinely adjudicated favorably.

The problem with your logic is that if she "transfers jurisdiction to DOS" then she has returned to her home country for consular processing thereby eliminating any intent to immigrate using a non-immigrant entry.

What you're saying is that anyone who marries a US Citizen while in the US will be considered to have misrepresented a material fact if they return to their home country for consular processing of a spousal visa.

You have your logic backwards.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did they specifically ask you whether you intend to get married? If not, you did not lie.

I agree with Anh Map.

Wow, talk about not true.

Because of it, the oath you take in court is worded this way: "Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth..." The "whole truth" part is to emphasise lying by omission. The "nothing but the truth" is to emphasise the lie by inclusion of extraneous misleading information. This legal standard is ancient because people have been lying since they have been able to talk. They use exactly the reasoning you did here: it isn't really a lie if I tell the border officer I am visiting my cousin in Chicago, omitting this: [because my cousin is the flower girl in my wedding to my fiance].

The part about including extraneous misleading information is familiar to any parent. You ask Johnny if he brought his school books home, and his answer is "we did not have any homework today". That is not the answer to the question of course. There are only two truthful answers: yes or no.

The purpose of both these strategies is to deceive and evade consequences under the law. If you look at the case in question, she clearly lied in order to gain entry illegally: to enter for the purpose of marriage, but to deceive the government about that intention. If visajourney were to back your theory, it would be advocating illegal entry. Don't bother going through all that silly paperwork. Just lie your way in.

If you teach your kids to lie like this, wow - you'll get what you deserve.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I go with the ones recommending CR-1 to you. Even though it's a wait it's worth it in the end! I know people that are on the VWP waive their rights to a review or repeal a decision if rejected. If you AOS there might be a chance of this and you'd be separated for even longer, plus you will have to lie to the government. I'd say stay for a while longer, apply, then go home get your things in order and wait out the CR-1 process.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

I fully agree with Harpa, Kathryn and Bob 4 Anna. DOS, or USCSI for that matter, DO NOT consider marriage per say as a violation of anything. If they did, Las Vegas and other popular wedding destinations in the US would take a serious financial hit.. People come to the US on tourist visas all the time to marry, and it doesn't make any difference whether they come here to marry another foreigner or a US citizen. What matters are the actions they take AFTER the marriage has occurred. That Foreign Affairs Visa Manual that was posted by CC90 clearly states:

You should apply the 30/60-day rule if an alien states on his or her application for a B-2 visa, or informs an immigration officer at the port of entry (POE), that the purpose of his or her visit is tourism, or to visit relatives, etc., and then violates such status by:

(1) Actively seeking unauthorized employment and, subsequently, becomes engaged in such employment;

(2) Enrolling in a program of academic study without the benefit of the appropriate change of status;

(3) Marrying and taking up permanent residence; or

(4) Undertaking any other activity for which a change of status or an adjustment of status would be required, without the benefit of such a change or adjustment.

The 30/60 rule has nothing to do with people entering the US and marrying. It applies to actions taken AFTER the marriage. If the foreigner returns to his/her home country after the marriage, before his/her period of authorized stay expires, no rules or visa regulations were violated. If the OP returns to Canada and continues to file for CR-1, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and no material misrepresentation issues to worry about. I don't really see any problems ahead for them with the CR-1 process - quite the contrary. Taking that route is by far the safest way to go.

People who take the CR-1 route come to marry in the US very often, with the ceremony taking place here while the foreigner is under a tourist status, and then completing the process abroad. It is a very common way to go about it, and the 30/60 rule has nothing to do with people coming here to marry, as long as they leave before their visa expires and finish the process abroad.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Here is what I did..Flew from Canada to Denver Colorado got married and went back to Canada in September..In November I loaded up my car and drove to Colorado...they only asked me at the border where I was going and I told them Denver Colorado..I filed all my paperwork at INS office in Denver (2003) and got my EAD right there on the spot..My interview was in Denver..nobody every questioned anything..it was almost too easy

Timeline
Here is what I did..Flew from Canada to Denver Colorado got married and went back to Canada in September..In November I loaded up my car and drove to Colorado...they only asked me at the border where I was going and I told them Denver Colorado..I filed all my paperwork at INS office in Denver (2003) and got my EAD right there on the spot..My interview was in Denver..nobody every questioned anything..it was almost too easy

That is textbook immigration fraud. Just because you got away with it doesn't make it right.

Entering the US with the intent to immigrate without first securing the proper Visa is Fraud. Had they asked your intent and you answered to immigrate and live with my USC Spouse they would have refused you entry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The part about including extraneous misleading information is familiar to any parent. You ask Johnny if he brought his school books home, and his answer is "we did not have any homework today". That is not the answer to the question of course. There are only two truthful answers: yes or no.

If you teach your kids to lie like this, wow - you'll get what you deserve.

But she did not get asked "are you going to get married?" and then say "I am going to visit my boyfriend". She was asked what the purpose of her visit was, and answered truthfully - in your example, she didn't get asked the homework question at all, she was asked how her day at school was. If I answered truthfully without any omission everytime I used the VWP to visit the USA before I became a greencard holder I'd be standing at passport control for half an hour as I listed the friends I wanted to see, places to visit, restaurants to go to etc.

Also, please do not bring my kids into this. That is a personal attack and uncalled for.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone! After doing a lot of research, reading all of your comments, and speaking with my husband, I know what we must do. I don't want to break any law and I definitely don't want to risk being separated from my husband for a long, long time. CR-1 seems like a good route to take, and I'm glad I'll still be able to see my husband throughout the process. When I first posted I thought I wouldn't be able to see him for 6+ months which scared me and upset me. I feel better about our situation now and I have a good feeling that everything will work out in the end. Good luck to everyone trying to get their Green Card. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That is your best choice to be safe.

Between you staying here for a bit, and then him coming to visit you, and maybe a second visit by you, you'll hardly need to be apart.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
Thanks everyone! After doing a lot of research, reading all of your comments, and speaking with my husband, I know what we must do. I don't want to break any law and I definitely don't want to risk being separated from my husband for a long, long time. CR-1 seems like a good route to take, and I'm glad I'll still be able to see my husband throughout the process. When I first posted I thought I wouldn't be able to see him for 6+ months which scared me and upset me. I feel better about our situation now and I have a good feeling that everything will work out in the end. Good luck to everyone trying to get their Green Card. :)

File the I-130 ASAP, you can remain in the US for the length of your authorized stay.

FWIW, entering with the intent to marry isn't a violation of anything. If you intended to immigrate then technically you had immigrant intent and were violating immigration law. The problem is that USCIS needs something more than perceived immigrant intent to deny your AOS, that's why when they suspect immigrant intent they will often times pull you into secondary and ask leading questions in an attempt to get you to misrepresent a material fact which can later be used to deny AOS if you file.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hope everything works out quickly for you - good luck. Come join us in the Canadian Forum - we have plenty of down home info!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You should not suggest to someone to commit immigration fraud just because you got away with it! And if it was easy in 2003 doesn't mean it would happen like this in 2011.

Think before you give such bad advice!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

That is textbook immigration fraud. Just because you got away with it doesn't make it right.

Entering the US with the intent to immigrate without first securing the proper Visa is Fraud. Had they asked your intent and you answered to immigrate and live with my USC Spouse they would have refused you entry.

First off BOB I didn't commit intentional fraud...I was unaware that entering the US with the intent to immigrate was fraud...and you are right had I been asked at the border I wouldn't have lied..I would have told the truth

Geesh you make it sound like I did what I did on purpose with the intent to defraud...you need not to judge people so harshly it might make you a little less uptight

You should not suggest to someone to commit immigration fraud just because you got away with it! And if it was easy in 2003 doesn't mean it would happen like this in 2011.

Think before you give such bad advice!

Did I say to the OP "here is what I suggest"?? Nope I merely told the facts of what I did unaware at the time it was going to be a problem...

Geesh why is everyone on here so uptight acting like they are immigration attorneys giving out wrong information on most of what i have read

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.