Ramsis

married before entering on K-1

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am in the same BOATTTTT...and i need an Advice guys

We applied for K1 visa. we are Muslims and she lives in an Egypt. so as you all probably know that my fiancee's family will never allow her to leave to the US unless we get married in Egypt.

so i know you are going to ask why we did not apply for CR1. well simply because i can not travel to Egypt often due to work & financial reasons. because we thought we can apply for K1 and start the process and i get married to her after the interview and after she get her visa!!! and not mention that we did get married when she arrives to the US. and we get married again (civil marriage) in the US and apply for AOS using the US marriage certificate not the Egyptian one, right??!! i mean how would USCIS know about it.

Edited by Ramsis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Three posts have been split off from the end of an older thread and made into its own thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Maybe they won't know at first and will give her the conditional green card, then maybe when she applies to remove conditions (for the 10 year green card) they will discover it and deport her. Or maybe they won't discover it then but when she applies for citizenship they will and then deport her. Or maybe they will find out 10 years from now and then deport her. You getting the point here? If they EVER find out she misrepresented herself for the purpose of immigration benefits she will lose those benefits (green card or citizenship) and will be deported, likely with a life time ban.

Possible out, as I don't know the rules of marriage in your country, could you have a ceremony there that is not registered with the government but only qualifies as a religious marriage.

Edited by belinda63

Timeline

Three posts have been split off from the end of an older thread and made into its own thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya i was intending to reply on a thread and may be i started one by mistake. wasn't intentional.

Relax guys, we have not gotten married yet. i was just asking how would they be able to find out if lets say we get married in Egypt "AFTER" she gets the visa. like even 1 day before she travels to the US...just to make her family satisfied. Which means after the background checks are done and she has the visa. And we still get married in the US again few days after.

and please...no one needs to get defensive here. im just asking for your opinion not your "conscience" .. lol with all do respect to all of course

Timeline

Possible out, as I don't know the rules of marriage in your country, could you have a ceremony there that is not registered with the government but only qualifies as a religious marriage.

Thanks Belinda, well unfortunately. we do not have "for show" ceremony in Egypt. really the whole point is for her family to see and witness a religious marriage and feel that they handed her to me under god...etc.

so I'm stuck now??!!..me & her like all of you guys can not wait to be with each other. we don't mind the wait for the visa but we wanted to "be" married as soon as possible ASAP. not just because we love each other but because of many other issues that are rising that are trying to part us apart,...i don't want to get into details.

God help us

Timeline

If you think that USCIS wouldn't find out then you need to do a lot more research than you have yet done into US immigration processes.

Thanks Kathryn, i appreciate what you are doing truly.

I know USCIS investigates and microscope and the whole thing. They would not find anything NOW because we are not married yet. And we were planning to get married again after entering the US. we thought each government would have a wedding date and that they would never conflict. how would each government find out about the other date?...USCIS asks the Egyptian government for criminal history as far as i know, lets say they check on martial status as well..lets say they ask her martial status when she applies for citizenship years from now, would the Egyptian government give the wedding date they have!!

p.s. i m starting to feel where you are coming from. if i do cancel the K1 visa...its going to be wait time from hell...oh god...i know you guys would say wait now and have a piece of mind vs take the chance and risk getting her deported years later

Timeline

Here is a link to a similar story to the one I quoted above - also from Japan - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/70350-family-separated-by-immigration-policies/page__view__findpost__p__943472

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Lets say they ask her martial status when she applies for citizenship years from now, would the Egyptian government give the wedding date they have!!

Yes, a millions times YES!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks Kathryn, i appreciate what you are doing truly.

I know USCIS investigates and microscope and the whole thing. They would not find anything NOW because we are not married yet. And we were planning to get married again after entering the US. we thought each government would have a wedding date and that they would never conflict. how would each government find out about the other date?...USCIS asks the Egyptian government for criminal history as far as i know, lets say they check on martial status as well..lets say they ask her martial status when she applies for citizenship years from now, would the Egyptian government give the wedding date they have!!

p.s. i m starting to feel where you are coming from. if i do cancel the K1 visa...its going to be wait time from hell...oh god...i know you guys would say wait now and have a piece of mind vs take the chance and risk getting her deported years later

Oh I am so glad you are starting to see why we are concerned. It would just take one unplanned, off the cuff comment in an interview anywhere from AOS to citizenship - or a comment or document from somewhere else with conflicting information - to bring down the whole house of cards!

Your options are to withdraw the K-1 and get married in her home country, then start the process all over again with a CR-1. It would add a few months at the beginning of your relationship but would also add many happy and worry free years of marriage afterwards not having to look over your shoulder for USCIS, hoping no one in the family says anything, hoping nothing causes USCIS to 'investigate' a fraud charge. If at any interview appears like you are withholding information, then you would probably face being interviewed and grilled - harshly with accusations of fraud - separately, not knowing what the other is saying. When you actually are guilty it is almost impossible to stand up to 'Stokes" interview.

If it is an issue of her family not allowing her to leave unmarried, is there a way you can apply for a visitor visa for her mother to accompany her to the US after your fiancee gets the K-1 (she will have 6 months time in which to use it), then arrange for a place where she and her mother can live until you are married and allowed to live together in the US? That would take care of some of the 'leaving the country unmarried' issues. It is unlikely that both parents would be allowed visas but one may if the other and the rest of the family remain behind. Then when she is free to leave the US (has her AP or her green card) you can travel back to her home for another ceremony?

No one wants to be separated during this process but unfortunately, when we fall in love with people from other countries, we are bound by the rules of those countries in order to allow the relationship to proceed to the next level. The future is so unpredictable - it is always best to make sure that you have all of the details done correctly and completely from the very beginning so you don't have to deal with any unexpected -and devastating - surprises in the future.

Short term pain for long term gain,I think, is the phrase you need to consider.

Edited by Kathryn41

Timeline

Short term pain for long term gain,I think, is the phrase you need to consider.

How long does CR1 take these days compared to a K1? ...man i cant believe i wasted 3 months of wait. i will consider those 3 options though

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I am in the same BOATTTTT...and i need an Advice guys

We applied for K1 visa. we are Muslims and she lives in an Egypt. so as you all probably know that my fiancee's family will never allow her to leave to the US unless we get married in Egypt.

so i know you are going to ask why we did not apply for CR1. well simply because i can not travel to Egypt often due to work & financial reasons. because we thought we can apply for K1 and start the process and i get married to her after the interview and after she get her visa!!! and not mention that we did get married when she arrives to the US. and we get married again (civil marriage) in the US and apply for AOS using the US marriage certificate not the Egyptian one, right??!! i mean how would USCIS know about it.

why would you want to live the rest of your lives hiding something? Do it right like the rest of us. Trying to be dishonest is why this is made so hard for us honest people.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.