hoping4happiness

Former Marriages-- Do They Even Care?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a U.S. citizen. Born and raised in California. I just wanted to ask-- if you are going to file for an over-seas spouse, while you yourself are living here in the USA-- does immigration really obsess over YOUR past? I guess I'm just being overly paranoid, maybe (which is my nature, haha). See, I just tend to like Indian guys, they are simply "my type" you could say. I'm not sure why, that's just how I am. I've dated some Indian guys-- like one in high school, and one in college.

Then several years ago, I got married to an Indian guy. But sadly, there was an issue where he cheated on me! So I quickly got the marriage was annulled, it was very short.

So anyway, right now, there is another Indian guy I have started a relationship with. I put the story down below. I plan to stay in his country for a few months before we get married. Then come back to the USA and file for him.

But... I guess I'm just paranoid it might look bad, or strange, that I was already married to another Indian guy a few years ago... Does immigration even look at the U.S. citizen's past marriages, or ask about them? Do I even have to tell them? Will they find out, and question me about it? I guess what I'm really asking is... How deep can I expect them to dig on ME? lol.

I'm clean of course, I've never been in trouble with the law or anything like that. I just don't want them jumping to conclusions about me, that's all. Like thinking I'm just marrying foreigners for green cards, or something! lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Then several years ago, I got married to an Indian guy. But sadly, there was an issue where he cheated on me! So I quickly got the marriage was annulled, it was very short.

So anyway, right now, there is another Indian guy I have started a relationship with. I put the story down below. I plan to stay in his country for a few months before we get married. Then come back to the USA and file for him.

But... I guess I'm just paranoid it might look bad, or strange, that I was already married to another Indian guy a few years ago... Does immigration even look at the U.S. citizen's past marriages, or ask about them? Do I even have to tell them? Will they find out, and question me about it? I guess what I'm really asking is... How deep can I expect them to dig on ME? lol.

I'm clean of course, I've never been in trouble with the law or anything like that. I just don't want them jumping to conclusions about me, that's all. Like thinking I'm just marrying foreigners for green cards, or something! lol.

Unfortunately yes they do care and you cannot and should not lie or conceal anything about your past if they ask. You will have to submit a copy of your divorce/annulment certificate I think also, however as long as it was a good faith marriage you should have nothing to worry about. We all have 'a type' so to speak so dont be worried about that :) They wont dig as far back as your high school or college, and certainly wont go calling old boyfriends hehe, but they will need your divorce certificate and your new marriage one if you file a CR1.

If youve only been married once, and it ended in divorce you dont look like a serial green card'er so i wouldnt worry :)

Edited by britishspouse

Total time from posting I-130 to VISA in hand 7 months 21 days :D

timeline.jpg?t=1311777984

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It depends on the type of marriage... if the ex just happens to be of Indian heritage, but was a US citizen, then no problem. But if you filed for a visa for him, then yes, they will look at that closely.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Yes they will and it most likely will come up in the interview, the beneficiary must know what happened with that relationship.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm a U.S. citizen. Born and raised in California. I just wanted to ask-- if you are going to file for an over-seas spouse, while you yourself are living here in the USA-- does immigration really obsess over YOUR past? I guess I'm just being overly paranoid, maybe (which is my nature, haha). See, I just tend to like Indian guys, they are simply "my type" you could say. I'm not sure why, that's just how I am. I've dated some Indian guys-- like one in high school, and one in college.

You bet they both ask and care. Have you looked at a G325a form? They consider the totality of circumstances and can and will prosecute, fine and jail you for lying on an immigration form. So answer all questions truthfully. Consider the worst case interpretation of those circumstances and be prepared to deal with them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, they do care! I am dealing with the same issue now, My type is also, Indian/Pakistani. My ex was pakistani and so is my current husband and my husband was asked about this at interview. Now, I have to prove some things that if I was not married to a Pakistani before, I wouldnt have to.

Our Journey

Met: 02/25/2010

Married: 08/12/2010

I-130 sent: 02/11/2011

NOA1: 02/14/2011

Request for expedite: 02/24/2011

NOA2-I-130 APPROVED!: 03/16/2011

Interview date: 7/7/2011

Visa in Hand!!!! 09/21/2011

POE JFK 09/24/2011

w2sb096jc.png

8zWqm5.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

they wanted all my past. marriage, divorces, death notice of my late husband. Girl, I had to send death notice in of my father. He has been dead over 19 years. they want to know your past, present and future. Y Ou will have to have these documents to marry in India, for USCIS, for NVC, for the interview, and a copy for yourself. I think all in all, so far i have produced 11 original birth certifices for different agencies and the marriage.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

You have to look at it from this side and you will see why they care. One of the classic immigration frauds is for the US Citizen to divorce their current spouse, then marry and petition a foreigner. Once the foreigner arrives and adjusts status, they divorce and the USC remarries their original spouse. Generally this would be a money scam but if the original spouse was also a foreigner then it could be a case of bringing friends or family to the US. Likewise, the reverse where the foreign spouse will divorce their foreign wife/husband and marry a USC then after getting conditions removed, get divorced and petition their original spouse. Another case is being a "visa factory" so to speak where there is a pattern of sponsoring foreign spouses for very short marriages. This is one reason the K-1 visa is limited to 2 for a petitioner.

Bottom line is they will look at how long go the divorce happened, if there is any tie from the previous spouse to the new one, if there is a "history" of sponsoring people from one country or region.

Having said all that it is just a red flag that needs to be addressed and if you do so adequately then it won't be an issue. Lots of people do this.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

I think it depends on a multitude of things. My ex husband is English. He was living in the U.S. on a work visa. When we got married we AOS through the marriage. The marriage fell apart. I went on vacation and met John. We dated, filed for a K1 were approved without 1 question in regards to my ex who I had petititioned. We are now going through the CR1 process and I don't have any concern about there being an issue due to my ex. If you entered a marriage for the right reasons then you have nothing to worry about. All you can do is be honest.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

VERY IMPORTANT - make sure you and your fiancee are fully aware of your past and what happened and make sure you have all the paperwork to support it including divorce decrees and perhaps even a notarized letter from a close family member confirming your word. We are stuck in AP because of this... I couldn't prove that I have had no contact with my ex in months nor do I know where he is currently living at the time. Its better to have way more than you can ever need than to go in there and be completely shocked at how much they do care about your past as the sponsor. Good luck!

Met in 2006 in person for the first time!
July 2008 - Relationship is official (3-4 visits per year from 1 week to 2 months at a time)
August 2010 - He proposed! Contemplate living/marrying in Brazil or US
I-129F Sent: 09/12/2010
I-129F NOA1: 10/8/2010 Called to report lack of notice of receipt.
I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy Reissued and received: 10/23/2010 (dated Sept 21st 2010)
Touched: 10/03/2010
Called USCIS: 02/23/10
Called USCIS & Senator's Office for follow-up: 03/3/10
Senator Letter received (verdict = wait 30 days more and call again): 03/07/10
Called USCIS: 03/14/10 (system updated to processing Sept 11th applications)
Called Congressman 03/29/11 - "wait 3 days for a reply..."
I-129F NOA2 E-MAIL & TEXT: 3/30/11
NOA2 Hard Copy: 4/4/11
NVC received: 4/7/11
NVC Sent: 4/14/11
Interview: 6/28/11
AP Processing: Estimate 2 weeks
Package Received: 7/9/11
Confirmation E-mail: 7/11/11
VISA received: 7/7/11

Married: 10/20/11
Filed for AOS/AP/EAD: 12/19/11
Biometrics 1/31/12

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2/15/2012
EAD Approved: 2/16/2012
EAD/AP CARD: 2/24/2012
Called USCIS re: pending AOS so many times lost count
AOS Transfer to Local office: 1/15/2013
Called USCIS & Emailed re: still pending AOS again lost count of how many times
Refiled for EAD/AP 1/18/2012
Received Receipt for EAD refiling for 1/22/2012
AOS Appointment FINALLY scheduled for 3/4/2012

Condition Permanent residency approved and valid through April 2015

Applied to Remove Conditions received 2/18/2015
Oh - What we do for love!...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Unfortunately the USCIS will be looking into your past marriage history. The reason for this is there are many people out there who participate in what we call fraud marriages. In fraud marriages a US citizen may make it a habit of marrying foreigners to make money and help get people citizenship with no intention of getting married etc... The foreigner becomes a citizen and the US citizen gets paid. I understand that many times this is not the case but there are people out there who do this.

K-1 Journey

11/27/2010-SENT

12/11/2010 NOA1

04/20/2011 NOA2

04/28/2011 Received by NVC!!

4/29/2011 Sent to Haitian Embassy

6/24/2011 Medical completed

6/30/2011 Medical results picked up approved

7/1/2011 Documents sent to Haiti messenger

7/19/2011 Interview date to be announced

7/19/2011 Assigned interview date

9/2/2011 Interview date (NO RFE :)

9/2/2011 Visa APPROVED!!

9/7/2011 Visa in Hand in Haiti

9/16/2011 Passport in hand in Haiti

10/1/2011 POE EWR airport

11/8/2011 ***Married*** :)

11/17/2011 Applied Social Security #

11/21/2011 SS# Recieved

AOS Journey

12/30/2011 AOS Package Mailed

1/03/2012 Notice of Action

1/06/2012 Check cashed

1/25/2012 Biometrics Appointment..completed..

2/11/2012 RFE

3/7/2012 RFE response mailed

3/16/2012 EAD Card in production!!!!

10/09/2012 Green Card production ordered : } no interview

Filed: Other Timeline

The US Government's immigration folks really don't like it when US citizens function as personal immigration portals. We live in a multicultural country of currently 311,733,026 people, many of whom are of Indian descent, so it's not "normal" to seek a spouse from a place many thousands of miles away. Uncle Sam realizes that it happens, though, and plays along, but when it happens a second time, they will grab a magnifying glass bigger as your apartment and will look at your entire history so closely that you will feel naked. If they find anything they don't like, they'll let you know and make you wish you had searched for a suitable spouse a bit closer to home.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.