englishcit

lifting an entry ban

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

After serving 4 years in an american prison I was deported and banned from returning for life. My crime was an aggravated felony but the judge only sentenced me as it was a strict liability crime and did not want to sentence me nor did he believe that I was a danger to the USA public. This can be proved in sentencing transcripts. Now the crime occured in feb 2002, I was arrested October 2002, and deported November 2006. Since my return to the U.K. there has been no further criminal activity, I have held down a permanent full time job. Have my own place of residence. This is my first and only trouble with the law. What is my chance of getting my entry ban removed due to the many mitigating circumstances of my case.

Thank You for any input

B

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You need to contact and Immigration Lawyer.he/she should be in the best position depending on the crime you committed.

I doubt if the ban would be uplifted(Just my view)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

After serving 4 years in an american prison I was deported and banned from returning for life. My crime was an aggravated felony but the judge only sentenced me as it was a strict liability crime and did not want to sentence me nor did he believe that I was a danger to the USA public. This can be proved in sentencing transcripts. Now the crime occured in feb 2002, I was arrested October 2002, and deported November 2006. Since my return to the U.K. there has been no further criminal activity, I have held down a permanent full time job. Have my own place of residence. This is my first and only trouble with the law. What is my chance of getting my entry ban removed due to the many mitigating circumstances of my case.

Thank You for any input

B

Look at your deportation documents and find the exact section of the INA on which you were deported. It should be INA 212... something. Most lifetime bans can't be waived. The ones that can usually require a I-212 hardship waiver application from a qualifying relative in the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Fairly slim, but as mentioned, it will depend on the details. It will also depend why/ how you want to enter the US again; ie with a B2 tourist visa for two weeks in Florida, because you are married to a US citizen....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I would calculate your chances at below 1%.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

If it's just for a vacation, I think your chances are slim to none. Like Jim said, lifetime bans are very tough to overcome even if you have a qualifying US citizen relative, let alone if the intent of the trip is for pleasure.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

If it's just for a vacation, I think your chances are slim to none. Like Jim said, lifetime bans are very tough to overcome even if you have a qualifying US citizen relative, let alone if the intent of the trip is for pleasure.

I would go ahead and say the chance for this individual to visit the US is 0%, who would grant a tourist visa to him at the US Consulate.

Only a US Spouse who would risk her financial security on the process, can bring him back to the US, and only if there's a waiver of extreme hardship available.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; I don't think you have a lot of chance overcome your life time ban because of the crime and spending 4 years in prison.

Even if it was for 3 day vacation or whatsoever... I would say you have 0,01% chance and IMHO paying a lawyer would just be a waste of time and money.

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank You for any input

B

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87150.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You Would first need to apply for a B2.

You will be refused and then it is up to the Consulate whether to agree to follow through on a waiver application.

I would question whether it is worth the hassle for a couple of weeks hols.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

just for a vacation for 2 weeks...nothing permanent...

You still haven't told us under what section of the INA you were deported. This is critically important in determining whether or not a waiver is possible.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.