Filipina35

Should he pay my rent?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I only got my conditional green card in march. we were having problems long before that but anynow now we've decided to separate. my husband is the one who is really pushing for it. i just started a job...have no savings. i have not had time to research the affidavit of support thing as yet...just asking...is he supposed to help/pay for my rent since he is the one who doesn't want to work it out and im not yet able to afford rent? i dont even have any credit...dont know if anyone will even rent to me. anyway..sorry if rambling...just so sad. Just want to know if he's obligated to help and if yes until what point. we havent filed for divorce as yet. just living in separate rooms. sigh....

Hi,

I only got my conditional green card in march. we were having problems long before that but anynow now we've decided to separate. my husband is the one who is really pushing for it. i just started a job...have no savings. i have not had time to research the affidavit of support thing as yet...just asking...is he supposed to help/pay for my rent since he is the one who doesn't want to work it out and im not yet able to afford rent? i dont even have any credit...dont know if anyone will even rent to me. anyway..sorry if rambling...just so sad. Just want to know if he's obligated to help and if yes until what point. we havent filed for divorce as yet. just living in separate rooms. sigh....

oh my.. so sorry to hear what's happening to u there.. i am also new to this AOS, just starting reading this forum.. for sure lots of people here will post regarding about ur query..

God bless.. :innocent:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Who ever sponsored you is responsible i believe, but i hope all works out for you

First of all, I'm sorry it's not working out :(

I think that's something for you both to talk about and decide. I don't think he's obligated to pay your rent though? But I know he can't just kick you out and leave you with nothing.. Hope you work something out

Do you have any friends or relatives you could stay with for the meantime?

I'm glad you found a job, that is your first step to independence and freedom.

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

With regard to the affidavit.... the petitioner is only responsible for repaying any means-tested benefits you may take out. Meaning he only promised you wouldn't be a burden to the American taxpayers.

Moving your thread from the AOS Process forum over to Effects of Major Changes.

burden to the american taxpayers? k. ty

First of all, I'm sorry it's not working out :(

I think that's something for you both to talk about and decide. I don't think he's obligated to pay your rent though? But I know he can't just kick you out and leave you with nothing.. Hope you work something out

Do you have any friends or relatives you could stay with for the meantime?

I'm glad you found a job, that is your first step to independence and freedom.

no i don't know anyone but thanks for ur positive input

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sorry to hear its nots working out

Well If your married You need to speak to a lawyer ASAP .

He does have obligations and may have to pay something's but get your own lawyer Do not use he's . Need more info kids involved ?? Incomes state your in

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: Country:
Timeline
On the other hand, you are not obligated to leave your current home, so if he wants you out, he could help you to find a place and put a security deposit down for that place (since you have no savings).

Absolutely right on that one.

His moral & legal obligations are not the same. If you need financial support from him to get yourself established then be sure to have a lawyer for the divorce case and seek spousal support based on the fact that you left everything to begin on this journey with him and now that HE wants out you need the help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Absolutely right on that one.

His moral & legal obligations are not the same. If you need financial support from him to get yourself established then be sure to have a lawyer for the divorce case and seek spousal support based on the fact that you left everything to begin on this journey with him and now that HE wants out you need the help.

The OP's profile indicates she's in California. This state very rarely grants spousal support in the case of a marriage of under five years.

It's possible to get a support order based on the affidavit of support, but it's unlikely a family court judge is going to order this. California family law gives clear guidance to family court judges in awarding support, and there are no provisions for taking an affidavit of support into account. She'd probably need to file a separate suit in a civil court.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi,

It is really sad to hear stories like that! Sorry you are having trouble :{

Do not leave your home!!! It is yours too now. Stuff like that happens to a lot of couples, especially new ones. Try your best to work it out and see how it goes. Don't put an X on your marriage just because you are going through a rough patch. Plus like other VJs said, he is not obligated to pay your rent or help you at all with that. Try and talk it out!

Good luck to you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, there's 2 legals ponds to swim in, when going in for the divorce.

1. Any government issued 'means-tested benefits' that the US Government pays to YOU, well, he'd be on the hook to repay the Federal Government (No direct payments to you) - there's no connection to 'direct payment from him to you', at all.

2. Divorce has different stages, aye? When first filing, is possible to be awarded 'temporary spousal support' by the court, but it's not every state that allows for this. Temporary Spousal Support ENDS when the divorce is finalized, sometimes is new spousal support decree in place as well, when the divorce is finalized.

I'm sure you spent hours and hours studying about the immigration process, how to fill out forms, what other documentation is required, yes?

Now you have more homework, to study the divorce laws in your state, have a firm grasp of 'what is what' and 'how to do' and 'how to handle the paperwork'.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Just because she will not leave her home doesn't mean the rent will be paid for, I don't think she's entitled to anything since the marriage is less than 5 years. the best advice is find someone who is looking for a roommate and move on with your life. And since she has a job, there's little chance that a judge will order temporary support.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

The I-864 clearly states that the petitioner is responsible for providing support that is at least 125% of the poverty level(Page 6: What does signing the form I-864 require me to do?). This is a contract that was signed by the petitioner. Secondly, The I-864 then goes on to say that if you receive any means-tested benefits then the petitioner "MAY BE" asked to reimburse the agency that provided this. But, the petitioner's income and assets are deemed to be available for determining means tested eligibility. In practice, the petitioner is rarely required to reimburse any public agency support, but this will depend on the agency and the location.

Now here is the kicker. The I-864 says that if the petitioner does not provide that level of support then the beneficiary may sue for that level of support, plus attorney and collection fees. (Page 7: What if I do not fulfill my obligations?). This would be separate from the divorce proceedings, but it is an option that is out there. Bottom line is in California for a marriage of such short length you probably won't get a support judgement from the divorce proceedings, but you can sue the petitioner for support under their contracted obligations of the I-864.

Sounds like it is time to consult an attorney for this.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.