~Laura and Nick~

Extremely home sick

107 posts in this topic

I totally understand. I moved to Canada from South Africa and then from Can to USA... Im doubly homesick. I live in Boonville, Missouri and even though Ive worked here for a year, I dont have any friends other than my hubby's family... and I think I will ALWAYS be called a "forner" (foreigner), even when I get my citizenship. My parents are coming to visit from SA next year and Im totally counting down the days until I have a little piece of home with me again.

Im sorry you are hurting... at least we have visa journey to vent!! :)

Chin up girl!!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's weird to have a good home and a good marriage and yet to not be completely happy because something is STILL missing. People think you should always be happy - it's hard.

It's like postpartum depression all over again... you got this wonderful baby but you can't stop crying.

I can honestly say that having two amazing Canadian expat friends has helped me a ton - we get together every now and then and just talk and it's such a relief - I always leave feeling like a weight is off of me because I am not alone and I am not the only one who thinks spelling "cheque" as "check" is just plain wrong. ;)

PS: I'm from South Jersey... we get the nitwits down here too.

Donne moi une poptart!

Well, my husband doesnt understand this, but I honestly felt a bigger "culture shock" moving from Canada to the US than I did when I moved from SA to Canada. Canadians are understanding and forgiving. When I used a quirky "foreign" expression that Canadians arent used to, nobody made a big deal out of it. Here in the USA if I spell Cheque and Colour the way Im used to spelling them my whole life, people get snippy. And when I say something thats not "american" I get the "thats not how we say it here in the USA... we gotta quit you of being a forner".... :o

It is definately hard to move to the USA, Im pretty happy here because my hubby is wonderful, but there are definately moments where I just feel like I wanna go home and hang out with my friends!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

And when I say something thats not "american" I get the "thats not how we say it here in the USA... we gotta quit you of being a forner".... :o

I even heard "You're in the US now, you have to bend!"

Sorry, no, but I will stand straight.

Those people are usually idiots though, I think we should ignore them.

But you know, there is a part of fantasy in this.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same. What really scares me is that I actually do not want to raise my children here.

I want to offer them what I had in France.

But I know there is a part of fantasy, and if I would go back right now, I would miss home, the home I have with my husband here in the US!

It has been a little more than a year that I moved here. We had no plans to move to France one day at first.

But with time, I explained my husband the differences of culture, what I like or dislike here, how it would be better for our children to grow up in France (free education is a big asset of course).

And yes, there are some nights when I cry missing my country, he also say we will go there.

It does not happen often but once in a while. Like a long mourning. Because that is what is happening to us we have to mourn our old life/country/family/friends.

I think it takes many years... But I am also sure that one day, home will simply be here.

I know because all the old immigrants I know say so. They do not know when it happened but they say one day, it is just home.

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Timeline

Glad you talk to your husband Laura!

My husband loves going'back home' as he says when we go up to see my family....just tonight he was saying maybe we'll be able to buy my parent's place when we retire. (For Thetreble - it's the farmhouse across from Brigadoon school if you remember ;) )

he just likes that he can drive fast and everyone is still driving faster than him on the 401 - haha!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its funny how so many of us fight so long through this process to get ourselves here and then we find ourselves wanting to go back.

Its hard, my husbands feelings are hurt by my homesickness. I'm pretty sure I'm making him feel like hes not enough.

He thinks that it doesn't matter where we live as long as we're together.

Its hard for him to understand because hes not the one who actually made the move.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

It's weird to have a good home and a good marriage and yet to not be completely happy because something is STILL missing. People think you should always be happy - it's hard.

It's like postpartum depression all over again... you got this wonderful baby but you can't stop crying.

I can honestly say that having two amazing Canadian expat friends has helped me a ton - we get together every now and then and just talk and it's such a relief - I always leave feeling like a weight is off of me because I am not alone and I am not the only one who thinks spelling "cheque" as "check" is just plain wrong. ;)

PS: I'm from South Jersey... we get the nitwits down here too.

Having you and Jill has made it A LOT easier. I'm so glad we get together. Laura, you should join us.

he just likes that he can drive fast and everyone is still driving faster than him on the 401 - haha!

Truer words have never been spoken. haha ;)

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Its funny how so many of us fight so long through this process to get ourselves here and then we find ourselves wanting to go back.

Its hard, my husbands feelings are hurt by my homesickness. I'm pretty sure I'm making him feel like hes not enough.

He thinks that it doesn't matter where we live as long as we're together.

Its hard for him to understand because hes not the one who actually made the move.

It can be very hard for the US spouse to understand the gut-wrenching pain of leaving your country behind. My husband has struggled with it too and he's a really good guy. I think it's even tougher because most Americans I meet have either lived and/or traveled exclusively in the US. I have some friends here who have never been further than Pennsylvania! So, I think that also adds to the general misunderstanding of how hard it is to move somewhere without employment, friends, family or your cultural staples. Who doesn't miss eatin' a poutine after they have been drunk at 3am? haha :dance:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

I can relate to the homesickness. I've been here almost three years (South Jersey) and though I like a lot about it, I'm always missing Canada. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone!

The last time I was in Canada was in April. I had a weird feeling because everyone's lives have gone on without me, things change (wow that wasn't there before!), my Canadian credit cards wouldn't work because I didn't know my PIN (How do I get a PIN?) That's new. I came away with this vague feeling of not belonging there either. When I got home, I felt really lost because I felt I didn't belong in Canada and feel I don't belong here. Not a good feeling. It really threw me into a funk. My husband really doesn't get it.

There is nothing like that feeling of crossing the border into Canada. Woo hoo. It's such a feeling of relief to be in Canada amongst Canadians. So much kinder and gentler.

I have a dream of spending half the year in Canada and half here, but it's half-baked. I'm not ready to go back yet, but we'll see.

PS. Guys, I know what you mean about New Jersey, and I'm glad I'm not in North Jersey. In South Jersey, I find people are pretty friendly. When I'm out and about people are always striking up conversations with me. More so than in Toronto. My husband is always asking me, "Who is that?" "I dunno".

Nasty drivers here though. Holy moly! If one more woman in her mini van tries to stare me down I'm gonna have to ... I dunno ... stare right back. And try going to a concert around here, people are so aggressive and rude -- I don't get it. Awhile ago I was at a show at a small venue and this woman kept pushing me until I said, "You know where you're trying to stand? Well, I'm already standing there." She got all huffy. Only in NJ (and some parts of Pennsylvania). My husband tells me to get my Jersey up, but the Canadian in me just rolls her eyes.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

hahah. I hear you gypsy. It's not the friendliest of places. If we didn't come from that "Cheers" culture where everyone knows everyone and you are sort of willing to talk to anyone, it maybe wouldn't see so odd to us. I just find people extremely confrontational here. People have very strong sets of extreme beliefs, too, so you have to be careful what you say. In Canada, I always feel like I can have discussions, like proper discussions, with friends, family, coworkers, acquaintances without too many judgement being passed. This is certainly the land of judgement.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Now i miss Canada too, and don't even come from nor ever been there??? :alien:

F2A from my husband, for me and our children.

2005-05-21: Got married to my man.

Priority Date: Dec 26, 2006

2006-12-23: I-130 Sent

2007-01-05: I-130 NOA1

2009-05-21: I-130 Approved

2009-06-04: NVC Case No. generated

2010-01-15: DS-3032 / I-864 Bill generated

2010-01-17: Choice of Agent sent via e-mail

2010-01-22: Paid I-864 Bill

2010-01-25: I-864 Bill shows PAID

2010-01-28: Received email saying: Choice of agent accepted/IV bill generated.

2010-01-28: Paid IV bill.

2010-02-25: Sent out completed I-864 and DS- 230.

2010-04-08: Case Complete.

2010-05-03: Interview scheduled for June 2nd 2010 as per NVC live operator.

2010-06-02: 221g refusal pending return of requested document.

2010-06-03: Obtained the requested document. E-mailed consulate requesting a new interview date.

2011-01-26: Visas Approved! To be picked up Feb 2nd.

2011-02-01: Got an e-mail stating Visas aint ready for pick-up yet!! Oh God PLSSSSSSS.

2011-02-09: Got a reply to my incenssant e-mails scolding me for writing, and asking me to refrain from writing more letters, and stating officially that am on AP!!!

2011-03-15: Picked up Visas. Oh My God!

2011-03-21: POE, Atlanta Georgia. Find it hard to believe this is truly happening. Thank you God.

NOW IN THE US.

2011-03-28: Received our Social Security Cards in the Mail.

2011-04-08: Received Green Cards.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It can be very hard for the US spouse to understand the gut-wrenching pain of leaving your country behind. My husband has struggled with it too and he's a really good guy. I think it's even tougher because most Americans I meet have either lived and/or traveled exclusively in the US. I have some friends here who have never been further than Pennsylvania! So, I think that also adds to the general misunderstanding of how hard it is to move somewhere without employment, friends, family or your cultural staples. Who doesn't miss eatin' a poutine after they have been drunk at 3am? haha :dance:

So true!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

Now i miss Canada too, and don't even come from nor ever been there??? :alien:

It happens every time. haha

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.