~Laura and Nick~

Extremely home sick

107 posts in this topic

I just have to write this out and send it into the universe because lately, I've been struggling very much with living in the U.S.

I've been here almost 3 years. I'm in the middle of applying for my 10 year green card. I have a home with my husband, we are in love and happy. I like my job.

Something is missing. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss the feeling of being home in Canada. When we visit and we cross the border and I see that "Welcome to Ontario" sign, my heart and soul sighs with relief.

I want to move home after I get citizenship. Is that wrong? I just feel that, I'm married to an American. I'm sharing my life with him. His family is here and who knows, 20 years down the road we may want to live here again. All I know is that my entire being wants to be back in Canada.

I feel conflicted. Nick supports this and he says that we will go but I don't know if he really means it.

I feel so lost.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just have to write this out and send it into the universe because lately, I've been struggling very much with living in the U.S.

I've been here almost 3 years. I'm in the middle of applying for my 10 year green card. I have a home with my husband, we are in love and happy. I like my job.

Something is missing. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss the feeling of being home in Canada. When we visit and we cross the border and I see that "Welcome to Ontario" sign, my heart and soul sighs with relief.

I want to move home after I get citizenship. Is that wrong? I just feel that, I'm married to an American. I'm sharing my life with him. His family is here and who knows, 20 years down the road we may want to live here again. All I know is that my entire being wants to be back in Canada.

I feel conflicted. Nick supports this and he says that we will go but I don't know if he really means it.

I feel so lost.

It's ok Laura - putting it 'out there' always works best :) There's the rub eh? Part of us loves being here with our spouse and we get more entrenched day by day, but then part of us has such a huge longing to go back home.

Driving across the border, it just always feels like I'm home, I feel for you. I think it's ok for you to want to move back home sometime, after all you did move down here for your husband and at the time that was a good decision for you both.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's ok Laura - putting it 'out there' always works best :) There's the rub eh? Part of us loves being here with our spouse and we get more entrenched day by day, but then part of us has such a huge longing to go back home.

Driving across the border, it just always feels like I'm home, I feel for you. I think it's ok for you to want to move back home sometime, after all you did move down here for your husband and at the time that was a good decision for you both.

I have only been here 7 months and I am already counting down the months till I will be able to apply for citizenship then we will be moving to Canada. Of course we will have to get my husband a canadian visa but its in our future. You moved for the right reasons and now you will move back for great reasons too. We are feel homesick at times lol

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Other Timeline

Home is where your heart is, and if that's Canada, then this is where you should live. Life is way to short to live somewhere where you don't feel at home.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I hear ya!!! I'm back in Stoon right now! Was in Cdn Tire tonight and was soooo nice to hear people say excuse me,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Hugs to you, Laura. ((((((((Laura))))))))))))

I love where we live now.

I hate being away from my family and friends.

We won't move back. I don't know if I have the energy to start all over. Again.

We are going to spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the US when he retires.

In the meantime, I've adapted to visiting back and forth.

I just wish I had some friends here. :(

But on the bright side!..... I think I've made a new friend, so I am quite happy about that. :)

I used to work with a woman who came from England. For years and years, all she talked about was moving back to England. One day she did. She was back within a year. She said she hated it. She'd grown to love living in Canada, as well as her life there, and didn't even realize it until it was gone. She was much happier after that.

Do you know I wrote "..... as well as her life here..." instead of how I corrected it above. I guess I still feel I'm in Canada. lol

iagree.gif

Laura - I hear you. I know the exact place on Hwy 11 where I'll see the sign "Cochrane District". My heart soars and the tears come cause I know I'm home. It's so nice to walk into a store and have people stop and chat. That doesn't happen here.

I've made friends here but they are not family. I miss my family and especially my daughter. She is turning into a beautiful young woman and I've missed some of that growing up. It's tough. We will be moving back to Canada at some point but probably not until he retires, unless we can get a transfer between his company here and the one located in Ontario.

Somehow, I don't think you'll ever be alone in being home sick. ((((( hugs )))))

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel the same way though I just got here.

I knew before I left Canada that I didnt want to leave and I've been thinking about going back non stop since the moment I got here.

I'm scared it won't get any better.

He has children here and I don't have any so the decision was made for us even thought we both would have preferred moving to Canada.

I think that my lack of desire for living in the states is magnifying my homesickness.

I'm from Toronto and man oh man do I miss it!

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

I've been here 7 years now and my heart still aches for life back 'home' in Canada. I have my US citizenship but I don't know if we will move back to Canada when my husband retires unless the health care situation forces us to. His home is here and he has really put down roots here. I have also built a life for me here but it has taken much longer than it ever did when I relocated anywhere in Canada and I am a very adaptable person so I know it isn't just me - it is the cultural environment here as well.

This topic has been discussed here before, Laura, so don't worry - you are definitely not alone. As similar as Canadians and Americans appear to be, the important word here is 'appear'. Sometimes the similarities hide the incredibly big differences that exist between our two cultures. I definitely prefer the Canadian culture. The American culture is very tiring and discouraging, although many Americans on their own are lovely people to know. You only get to see just how harsh the American environment is when you are on the inside and can compare it to the kinder, more tolerant, more supportive environment that permeates Canada. Don't get me wrong - there are many good and even some great things about the US and about being an American. It is just that when you are used to one way of life, it is very difficult to adapt to something else - especially when the 'something else' regularly illustrates what you have given up more than what you have gained.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

- especially when the 'something else' regularly illustrates what you have given up more than what you have gained.

Love this part. Every time I go home, I see what I have given up. I love my husband and am as happy as I can be without my daughter close by but Canada will always be home.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

I just want to thank everyone for their kind and supportive words.

((((((((((Kriket)))))))))

(((((((((BH45))))))))))

((((((((((((((Kathryn)))))))))))))

((((((((Flames)))))))))

((((((((((((Udella&Wiz)))))))))))))

So nice to see some old, familiar names on here :)

I know I'm not alone and it's comforting to know there are people across the U.S. who know exactly how I feel and ache for the same thing.

After I posted this I went into the living room, sat down with Nick and asked him honestly if he would go when I got citizenship and he answered yes. We talked about keeping our house and maybe renting it out. We talked about maybe going back and forth every few years...who knows.

I feel good knowing that he supports it. I feel pressure from my parents constantly about moving back, that doesn't help either but I can understand their pain. I am so close to my family. This will be a long wait till citizenship but it's good to know I have people who I can vent with and make the wait tolerable.

Thanks again. xo

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I'll write this down, and quote you as I please Kathryn41! Nobody has put it this clear and simple before!

Laura and Nick, I had a similar episode a month or so ago, I was ready to go postal, and give up on the whole thing. I felt cheated in a way. You wait so long for the visa, you think "eh, it must be worth it to live in the States if they make you wait so long"... Little did I know! I struggle everyday with the way people are here... We just came back from a 10 day visit, and Chris' parents and sister came. My gosh! How many times did I have to explain that in the rest of the world - ok, not the entire world, I know I'm exaggerating here - if you don't bring your reusable bag to the grocery store, you have to pay for the plastic ones!!! His mom was having the hardest time with that... I felt like screaming! :lol: And then one of the plastic bag broke and she asked me if she could get a refund!!!!!!! :rofl:

Chris and I have talked, and when I find a job - another beautiful part of the moving process - and save some money, we want to buy an apartment building up there, have a place to call our own and have some investment... One day!

Try to stay positive, but I know it's hard! It's not until you leave that you realize what a great, no correct that, awesome place Canada is. I love telling people I'm from Canada!

Hope you feel better soon, big hugs and all the support in the world! (F)

Edited by Vero and Chris

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

We do all feel your pain for sure. I know I have been here almost 5 years and have made a good life, but I too miss my family and friends at home (this bothers some of my friends here that when I say home I mean Canada). I do love it here, but it is just not the same the differences although slight seem staggering sometimes (depending on the mood). We have talked about moving to Canada, but the problem is my husband has been at his job for 23 years and not likely to replace his pay with the same in Canada since he would have to start at the bottom again. HIs company does have several offices in Canada, so there is hopefully an option to move there that way, but it is only a slight chance. I only wish I did live closer, I envy you that you are able to cross lots, I live in Southern VA and have only been back 1 time. I am lucky in that my husband would move to Canada in a heartbeat, but as I said I am not hating it here just wish I could visit more. Chin up and glad that Nick is on board, it will all turn out the way it is supposed to turn out. And as I am sure others feel the same way feel free to rant or bounce ideas, or just talk.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

I think I will like it more when I have friends and a Job... Im still a nobody.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.