~Laura and Nick~

Extremely home sick

107 posts in this topic

It happens every time. haha

Hi fellow Canadians. I totally feel for you Laura and everyone who is going through homesickness right now. It is hard to be away from your friends and family and what we consider home you know. I personally feel if someone is living somewhere where they don’t consider home will never be at peace within themselves or happy. I will say at the beginning of this whole beuaucratic immigration process, I did feel homesick because I was in a new environment I wasn’t use too and life was different than what I was use too in Canada. I had my wife who I love dearly and was more than helpful to me when I was down about not being home, so it does help to have someone to have your spouse or someone you can talk to to help you out when your down. I will say that when I made the move to the US for my wife my friends and family weren’t too happy about my move, morely my friends. My family was happy for me but not at the sametime just in the basis of them going to miss me that kinda deal. I go visit Canada twice a year and each time its such an awesome feeling being in Toronto, but I did notice too my friends who I thought were my friends totally moved on and didn’t talk to me or anything, so much for real friends. I also feel that my life is no longer in Canada and don’t feel really right in Canada anymore. I personally have no desire to ever live in Canada anytime down the line and if I did move back after citizenship and all that, it would be for my family that’s it. I totally love my life here in Ohio, I have a decent job, going to school for nursing have an awesome wife and awesome friends, so complaints. I personally feel I have better friends here in the US than I ever had in Toronto. I think people were more than welcoming to me because I transitioned from a big city to a small town in the US. I think it all depends on the foundation back in Canada you know, I love Canada to death, love my hockey basketball and baseball teams. I do love everything about Canada, but I just don’t feel the same about it inregards to ever living there again. I do wish I did have some Canadians friends here so I can talk about stuff Canadian you know.

Removal of Conditions

05/20/2011.....................Sent off package today, so now playing the waiting game.(Day 1)

05/23/2011.....................Package was received(Day 3)

05/28/2011.....................Received NOA/one year extention letter dated 5/23/2011(Day 8)

06/04/2011.....................I got my biometrics letter in the mail, my appointment is for 06/13/2011@11:00am (Day 14)

06/13/2011.....................Biometrics appointment today @Cleveland, Ohio @11:00am (Day 23)

09/20/2011.....................Approved for 10yr green card, wooohooooo next step citizenship

09/24/2011.....................Received 10yr green card in the mail.

My window for Citizenship 05/20/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadianmade, I think that happens to some people who make the transition into the states. Some, like yourself, end up loving their new life and I think that's awesome. No matter where you go, you've got to be comfortable and connect to the land and with others around you.

I think for me, and this was a hard lesson to learn, I'm severely connected to the landscape. It's not even so much my friends and family, whom I love very much obviously but it's the actual geography that tugs at my heart strings.

My friend Liz and I hold this very dear to our hearts:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

It's something I guess we feel to the depth of our souls.

My eyes filled with grit

Canadianmade, I think that happens to some people who make the transition into the states. Some, like yourself, end up loving their new life and I think that's awesome. No matter where you go, you've got to be comfortable and connect to the land and with others around you.

I think for me, and this was a hard lesson to learn, I'm severely connected to the landscape. It's not even so much my friends and family, whom I love very much obviously but it's the actual geography that tugs at my heart strings.

My eyes filled with grit

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David BouchardLet's see who truly reads my status.... you and I wake up in a police car together. Using Four words only, what would you say to me? Note: if you comment, you must copy and paste this to your status so I can comment on yours as well. be a good egg and play along. ( 4 word's are harder than you thinkt

Your are right on what you said, I know some people adapt to their new surroundings better than others, like myself I guess I happen to be at a place I like, its morely the standard of living here in Ohio is totally different than Toronto, because I live in a very slow pace town, not much going on and at first I struggled to adapt to it because of being from a big city, but once i gave it a chance, I turly started liking it more and more, I mean some people will never change the way they feel about what they consider home you know. I think sometimes what makes a person like their new surroundings is what a person had to go through threw or experience in their old surroundings ex. drama with friends family life whatever before coming to the US. I think what plays a role is if a person had a life or felt like they had a life in Canada before coming here to the US. I think that is a very awesome poem you know very deep stuff. I love Canada and very proud to say I am Canadian. I think it would be cool to have some Canadian friends too.

Removal of Conditions

05/20/2011.....................Sent off package today, so now playing the waiting game.(Day 1)

05/23/2011.....................Package was received(Day 3)

05/28/2011.....................Received NOA/one year extention letter dated 5/23/2011(Day 8)

06/04/2011.....................I got my biometrics letter in the mail, my appointment is for 06/13/2011@11:00am (Day 14)

06/13/2011.....................Biometrics appointment today @Cleveland, Ohio @11:00am (Day 23)

09/20/2011.....................Approved for 10yr green card, wooohooooo next step citizenship

09/24/2011.....................Received 10yr green card in the mail.

My window for Citizenship 05/20/2012

Timeline

That is beautiful. Thanks Treble. I'm not from the prairies but this evokes how I feel when I take the drive up to Sudbury and see the landscape change to the Canadian Shield. All the rocks and wind-blown trees make my heart sigh with relief.

My eyes filled with grit

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought Treble was from Ontario? lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

hahah! I am!!! I just like it. My friend Liz is from Calgary and spent many years in Regina but I'd like to think it could apply to any Canadian, even if you didn't grow up in the prairies ;)

That is beautiful. Thanks Treble. I'm not from the prairies but this evokes how I feel when I take the drive up to Sudbury and see the landscape change to the Canadian Shield. All the rocks and wind-blown trees make my heart sigh with relief.

:thumbs:

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline

Beautiful poem.

I LOVE that landscape. In fact, I love it so much I have quite a few framed prints by the Group of Seven artists. My husband loves them, too, even though I've never taken him there. I will one day. It might make me cry, though. :(

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

Beautiful poem.

I LOVE that landscape. In fact, I love it so much I have quite a few framed prints by the Group of Seven artists. My husband loves them, too, even though I've never taken him there. I will one day. It might make me cry, though. :(

When I lived in Canada it never really occurred to me to get a Group of Seven print. But being away from Canada makes you actually "see" something that you always took for granted. I think I'm going to look into getting a Group of Seven print. Thanks for the idea Krikit!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

I was born in the US and lived there for 1-2 years. Other than that was raised in Canada (~25 years). However I feel about the US the exact same way you feel about Canada. I live in the US now.

My mom immigrated to Canada from the US and I think she felt the same way many of you feel but towards the USA. I think her attitude wore off on me over time.

When I go back to Canada now it feels weird and foreign.

No real point to my story except that you can't rationalize how you feel and there isn't much point to try.

Timeline

Yep. There is definitely no rationalizing it. It just "is". No one can do anything or say anything to make it somehow less of a heartache for me. I'd like to think I've accepted it "for now" but that I can't accept it as my forever.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I go back to Canada now it feels weird and foreign.

No real point to my story except that you can't rationalize how you feel and there isn't much point to try.

I totally get this when I go to Canada now. It's just because I go maybe once every few years so I'm just not used to it at all or how things work or around how they speak anymore. I forgot they do french on everything still and band names are all different etc. With the way the money and prices are, I feel like I'm going to Western Europe.

I just came back from my flight to Eastern Europe, but part of the trip involved being in Toronto airport and they had booked me on a code share with Canadian Airlines or Air Canada which ever it is. So I got to fly on their plane. Even though the 2nd last leg of my flight was coming from Germany to Canada. Yet they did everything still in just English and French rather then English and German which I found really odd. Plus I totally forgot how even the flight attendants spoke, raising their voice at the end of every sentence like it was a question. My parents don't do that, but I remember all my friends do that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

Plus I totally forgot how even the flight attendants spoke, raising their voice at the end of every sentence like it was a question. My parents don't do that, but I remember all my friends do that...

I've rarely heard a Canadian do that but definitely hear that a lot with Australians. Drives me batty.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I miss my family but I don't really miss Canada.. not that I like where I live now but if I could live anywhere I would want to live in Northern California.. I felt really at home there even more then I did back in Canada..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I still miss alot of things about Canada. the stores, the places, the landscapes. of course there are things i don't miss. but when I'm feeling blue i look at a book i have which i got when i used to work for REIMER express lines in Canada.

the book is Over Canada. Its basically a picture book full of aerial photos from the entire country. some of them are quite beautiful.

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Canada-Adventure-Rosemary-Neering/dp/0920431879#reader_0920431879

I'm sure once we get this house my homesickness will fade a bit. i just really miss how nice my fellow Canadians are..here no one seems to give a **. back in Vankleek Hill Ontario, you had everyone waving to everyone and saying hello. it did not matter who you were, how old you were. they would be friendly and offer to help you with anything.

sigh. i just really miss that lately.

HWDWm6.png

Yep. There is definitely no rationalizing it. It just "is". No one can do anything or say anything to make it somehow less of a heartache for me. I'd like to think I've accepted it "for now" but that I can't accept it as my forever.

Hi sweetie, it's been so long since we chatted. You are in Monclair? I'm in Teaneck!

I feel extremely comforted knowing you are in the same state and know what I face each day. People here are so angry, I work in retail, which I have basically since I started working and this area has made me really despise working with the public. I use to enjoy my jobs and now I dread going to work simply because the people are so awful. There are glimmers of hope here and there but never have I seen more people abusing the system, theft, violence and anger.

There are days I literally would move in a split second if I could. There are days when I would get into my car, pack up my kitties and leave, with or without Nick.....that's how I know it's bad.

I push on simply knowing that I'll be able to return home and my trips there every few months make it doable.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and frustrations too....Neither of us are alone.

xo ~L

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.