~Laura and Nick~

Extremely home sick

107 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moving SUCKS. Having said that, I am glad I moved here. FL was great, but this is close to perfect. Perfect would be having my friends and family here too.

I know what you mean about the citizenship thing, Udella. That's what's kept me from filing. It just doesn't feel "right". :(

Here's the plan - if the US and Canada ever go to war, we are high-taling it out of NOVA - the boys can stay together for company until it all blows over.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

If America ever gets really bad - yeah, we're SO moving to Canada! :whistle:

I have mini-meltdowns every once in awhile too. I always have a good cry, my husband gives me a hug, and I'm good again!

I have the same thoughts about citizenship...my cousin said he'll never do it, something about saying you're surrendering your Cdn citizenship is mentally tough! I say I'll do citizenship, but I guess we'll see how I feel about it when the time comes.

Udella - ever feel like the DC area is just not "welcoming"? I think that was my biggest struggle here. Yes, it's like Toronto, but I didn't grow up there. I grew up where I run into people I know at Sears and Zehrs. I ran into someone at Target last month here and it was almost comforting!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

If America ever gets really bad - yeah, we're SO moving to Canada! :whistle:

I have mini-meltdowns every once in awhile too. I always have a good cry, my husband gives me a hug, and I'm good again!

I have the same thoughts about citizenship...my cousin said he'll never do it, something about saying you're surrendering your Cdn citizenship is mentally tough! I say I'll do citizenship, but I guess we'll see how I feel about it when the time comes.

Udella - ever feel like the DC area is just not "welcoming"? I think that was my biggest struggle here. Yes, it's like Toronto, but I didn't grow up there. I grew up where I run into people I know at Sears and Zehrs. I ran into someone at Target last month here and it was almost comforting!

Geez I just wish I could go to Zehrs :( I have found more comfort from other immigrants then from USC in the area- I have 1 friend from work who is Indian originally so she gets what I'm feeling. I was lucky enough to run into someone here whose Mom is Cdn and they've spent every summer up in Quebec at a cottage - we immediately had 1 of those 'kindred spirit' type bonds, very comforting.

DC is schizo - very ethnically diverse, but very segregated I find as well. Canada does a better job at the 'melting pot' theory.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline

Here's the plan - if the US and Canada ever go to war, we are high-taling it out of NOVA - the boys can stay together for company until it all blows over.

:lol: Totally. Though I admit to having a minor fear of DC being a terrorist target. Much the same way as if I lived in California and had concern about earthquakes.

If you had a Zehrs then we have a good idea of the type of area you grew up in. :lol:

I'm from the GTA so I love city life and don't feel as if I'm missing a welcoming feeling. I guess I equate it to not expecting a welcoming feeling when I go to a concert or a sports venue. But I do know what you mean. We're included in the metropolitan DC area, but we chose an area without the accompanying congestion. It's peaceful and scenic with lovely friendly people. I still don't run into anyone I know but, then again, I don't really know anyone yet.

I have let way too much time pass between visits this time. We've had a lot of frustrating things happen here, and there's a lot going on in Canada that I'm finding super frustrating not to be there to handle it. All is being done via text message, phone, and email. It's like fighting your way out of a wet paper bag. Yesterday sucked big time.

Tomorrow we leave for Memphis (so a welcome diversion... I think), but we're scheduled to go to Toronto right after we get back. I hope I can keep it together until then.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Jumping into this thread late. I see there are a few that have made the move from Toronto to the D.C. area and are having trouble adjusting. My fiancée is making the same move this fall and I worry about her adjusting to this area also. Maybe we should start a little support group where we can get together and share experiences and maybe have a little fun while we are at it? What do you think?

-Paul & Jenni

-Paul & Jenni

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am constantly concerned about earthquakes... :unsure:

:lol: Totally. Though I admit to having a minor fear of DC being a terrorist target. Much the same way as if I lived in California and had concern about earthquakes.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I would love a DC get together! I think that'd be fun! I'm in.

Yes, I had a Zehrs in my small town, but we did have the highest amount of Tim Hortons per capita. It was a bit ridiculous actually.

I used to always want to live in the big city, now that I do, it's not as fun as I thought! Thankfully we bought a house outside of the craziness, and birds wake me up, I have a quiet neighbourhood, and overall it's peaceful in comparison to where I work.

Krikit - Hope everything works out for you! Take a deep breath (if that'll help...) :star:

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

Yes, I had a Zehrs in my small town, but we did have the highest amount of Tim Hortons per capita. It was a bit ridiculous actually.

I used to always want to live in the big city, now that I do, it's not as fun as I thought! Thankfully we bought a house outside of the craziness, and birds wake me up, I have a quiet neighbourhood, and overall it's peaceful in comparison to where I work.

Krikit - Hope everything works out for you! Take a deep breath (if that'll help...) :star:

Ok, We'll organize something in the area when Jenni moves down hopefully in September. I keep trying to get an earlier interview date and so far I've been lucky to just get one on Sept 19. Hoping to snag one in early Sept yet.

Speaking of Tim Horton's, I find it quite funny to see 3 Tim Horton's on the same corner whenever I come up to visit. I thought Starbucks was a little crazy where I live, but nothing compared to Tim Horton's in Canada :no:

-Paul & Jenni

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I may not live in DC but I want included in this get together dammit!!! lol

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I may not live in DC but I want included in this get together dammit!!! lol

you can have my spot,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Jumping into this thread late. I see there are a few that have made the move from Toronto to the D.C. area and are having trouble adjusting. My fiancée is making the same move this fall and I worry about her adjusting to this area also. Maybe we should start a little support group where we can get together and share experiences and maybe have a little fun while we are at it? What do you think?

-Paul & Jenni

We can do that - Where will you be at? I personally am in Centreville VA. work in Fairfax

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

We can do that - Where will you be at? I personally am in Centreville VA. work in Fairfax

I live about a mile from you lol. Live in Manassas and work in Dulles. Small world! B-)

This should be fun :thumbs:

-Paul & Jenni

Timeline

I live about a mile from you lol. Live in Manassas and work in Dulles. Small world! B-)

This should be fun :thumbs:

Cool - I am from Kitchener Waterloo (an hour from TO) - your fiancée will know where that is. In the early months (and sometimes 4 yrs later... lol) everyone has a meltdown and needs a good chat every once in a while.

A propos of nothing...

Does anyone else fly a Canadian flag outside their house? We fly both flags proudly off the front of the townhouse :)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

I'll be moving to Annapolis in September!

I find that on my visits to Annapolis (haven't been since January, but still) to be quite welcoming. Perhaps it is a more welcoming area than DC. I have become acquaintances with the office ladies at my fiance's work and often join them for lunch when I am in town. Also one of his neighbours is very friendly with me and I have actually run into her at the grocery store a few times. It is kinda nice to bump into a familiar face! Maybe once I get there it may be a bit different.

I have talked to a few locals there, specifically those who see my getting in or out of my car at the mall/grocery store or wherever I may be. They see an Ontario license plate and I always get asked about it. This one guy who works at the Starbucks near my fiance's apartment remembers me. We were chatting one day while he made my drink and since then, he calls me Canada Girl. He always remembers me when I walk in, and that makes me feel welcome :)

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

I think with any country, the further you get away from the big city, the more relaxed it is, and the people are friendlier

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.