NeedInfo3839

American Woman, Egyptian Man -- Can I Bring Him?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a woman who was born and raised in the USA, and currently live here in California. I met a really nice Egyptian man online. We've known each other for a while, talking on the microphone for hours, in Skype on a daily basis. He is a teacher, currently working in Saudi Arabia. He vacations home to Egypt for the summers.

Just before him, I had divorced a man after a 6 year marriage, in which I was a "house wife", only earning a small part-time income from home (husband earned plenty). After the divorce, I lived with my mom back in my home town, where I now have a regular job.

Well, me and my new Egyptian sweetheart want to get married and I want to bring him here to live with me. But first, I have some questions:

1. I do make good money now, but I've only had this job for a year. Is it true you need to have kept your job (earning at least double the poverty level) for 3 years in order to sponsor an immigrant?

2. Is there any way around the above rule? I mean people move sometimes, it happens. People switch jobs. Not everyone has had their current job for 3 or more years... You would think that would be logical. I've heard of co-sponsors, and sure I know people who have had a good job for more than 3 years, but... Just because I know them, doesn't mean they would be willing to do it.

3. What's all this I've been hearing, about American women leaving the USA to stay in Egypt with their husband, while they wait for the Visa to file? How are THEIR husbands getting visas? I know those women can't be earning above the U.S. poverty level, living over there. And if they went to Egypt, they obviously left their U.S. job. How do they do it?

4. We plan to meet in Egypt. But as for getting married and bringing him here--- what would be the best course of action? Should I meet him in Egypt, then file for a fiance Visa from the USA? Or should I marry him there, and then file for a marriage Visa from the USA? Which would be more likely to get him here with me, and take less time?

With my living situation, is it even possible to start the procedure any time soon??

Edited by Melissa569

I'm a woman who was born and raised in the USA, and currently live here in California. I met a really nice Egyptian man online. We've known each other for a while, talking on the microphone for hours, in Skype on a daily basis. He is a teacher, currently working in Saudi Arabia. He vacations home to Egypt for the summers.

Just before him, I had divorced a man after a 6 year marriage, in which I was a "house wife", only earning a small part-time income from home (husband earned plenty). After the divorce, I lived with my mom back in my home town, where I now have a regular job.

Well, me and my new Egyptian sweetheart want to get married and I want to bring him here to live with me. But first, I have some questions:

1. I do make good money now, but I've only had this job for a year. Is it true you need to have kept your job (earning at least double the poverty level) for 3 years in order to sponsor an immigrant?

2. Is there any way around the above rule? I mean people move sometimes, it happens. People switch jobs. Not everyone has had their current job for 3 or more years... You would think that would be logical. I've heard of co-sponsors, and sure I know people who have had a good job for more than 3 years, but... Just because I know them, doesn't mean they would be willing to do it.

3. What's all this I've been hearing, about American women leaving the USA to stay in Egypt with their husband, while they wait for the Visa to file? How are THEIR husbands getting visas? I know those women can't be earning above the U.S. poverty level, living over there. And if they went to Egypt, they obviously left their U.S. job. How do they do it?

4. We plan to meet in Egypt. But as for getting married and bringing him here--- what would be the best course of action? Should I meet him in Egypt, then file for a fiance Visa from the USA? Or should I marry him there, and then file for a marriage Visa from the USA? Which would be more likely to get him here with me, and take less time?

With my living situation, is it even possible to start the procedure any time soon??

No simple answer as you have asked many questions that are covered by different visas, I can not answer for the earnigs that you make. However the quickest way is to meet then file the I-129f 6-8 months on average and dependant on countries consular process and will depend if your earnings can be based on the current year, someone will clarify.

If you marry in egypt you have a longer wait 9-12 months is again about average, but some are getting through in less, but each case is unique and specific, what works for one will not work for all!

I can only answer for what I have read on DCF (Direct consular filing) inthe UK. You would need to go out to him, marry and remain for a minimum of 6 months, remember this is based on how it works in the UK, then you would have to prove domicile in the US and if you have no job, you will need a co-sponsor i beleive, this is my basic understanding of DCF this can take 5months onwards but again depends on country specifics.

The k-1 route which would involve you filing the i-129f petition would be fastest route but works out more expensive and he will not be allowed to work until he has his permit which can take a few months after his arrival where as the CR-1 after filing the I-130 once approved will allow him to work from the day he lands, its cheaper, but the wait is longer for him to get the all important interview.

you just need to have the earnings bit clarified for you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not too sure of the earnings requirements but if you were to do DCF most likely you would need a sponsor. The main thing is meeting him in person first. Marrying however on the first visit could be a red flag. Do you have any other possible red flags(age, religion, culture...)? Another possible red flag is that you just divorced and found love on the internet. You will find more with the same situation in this forum MENA.

Edited by moroccogirlny

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Nowhere in the I864 does it say you have to have atleast 3 yrs of income at double the poverty level. You only have to include most recent tax return & paystubs. If this is 125% of the federal poverty level for your family size than you don't have to include any other income or assets. They want most recent...prior 3 years are for people who didn't make as much this year as they did in prior years...that doesn't sound like your situation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm afraid things tend to get off track when so many questions are asked at once. Let me start by saying that your circumstances do not seem to fit with a Direct Consular Filing because you don't seem to be in a position to go live abroad for an extended time prior to beginning the immigration process.

Current income is what you need to qualify as sponsor. One year on the job is enough. Yes, the affidavit of support you will provide later in the process does ask about past three years of income but you are not required to have qualifying income all or even any of those years. Current income is the key.

You may be reading recommendations for women to live abroad with their spouses from Egypt because there are red flags in their relationship. If you are significantly older, it may be necessary to live together as husband and wife for some time in order for a Consular officer to believe the relationship is genuine, instead of just entered into by the foreigner to obtain an immigration benefit. Culturally, young Egyptian Muslim men do not marry divorced, older women and particularly if they are too old to bear their children.

You haven't met in person yet, so you've got plenty of time to read other threads, study guides and learn the process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

A K1 visa would be the right thing for you I assume, but I suggest you meet him first and be ready to bare his expenses since

a K1 wouldn't allow him to work for several more months. Unless you plan on dong this whole thing yourself, speak to a lawyer.

If you go to Egypt than you have to remain there for at least 6 months before you can prove anything.

"Patience and perserverence have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

Filed: Timeline

He is actually 2 years older than me, I'm 30. He's 32. True, I am divorced--- but he is also divorced. So its not really an issue for him. He already has 2 kids (his ex wife has them) which he pays child support for. He doesn't want more kids.

He earns about $2000 per month working in Saudi Arabia as a teacher, so if we filed from anywhere, it might have to be from there. I just don't know if I should live there with him during the whole thing, or wait in the USA till its done.

Edited by Melissa569

Another possible red flag is that you just divorced and found love on the internet. You will find more with the same situation in this forum MENA.

Not so sure about this, people in todays climate do this to be with each other in thier own countries and ok, whilst it is a potential red flag it is hard to prove, but MENA countries perhaps more so

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

In my opinion your best road to get him the quickest is to file for the K-1 Visa. One of the main requirements for that though is that you two must have met in person at least once in the last two years. So go meet him and take lots of pictures together and I mean a lot of pictures.

3-5-2011: I-129F Sent

3-9-2011: NOA1

6-24-2011: NOA2

6-30-2011: NOA2 Hard Copy

7-19-2011: Received Case Number from NVC

08-08-2011: Sent Packet 3 to Embassy

09-12-2011: Received Packet 4 Instructions

09-28-2011: Interview: Approved

10-06-2011: Point of Entry

11-03-2011: Married

AOS:

11-17-2011: Filed AOS Packet

12-09-2011: AOS Check Cashed

01-01-2012: Biometrics

01-31-2012: Received EAD

07-20-2012: AOS Approved

08-01-2012: Received Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest the K-1 visa also.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I suggest meeting in person first...

Matt

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I would suggest the K1 route also

And on a side note anything pushbrk says I would listen to ... seems to me the most knowledgeable person on here

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You have had a lot of information thrown at you at one time. My suggestion would be to take a deep breath, relax, and realize that there is no "quick" way to do this. The very first thing is to meet him in person. While you are planning your trip, you will have time to read about the K1 process and all of the requirements. Here is a link to get you started. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/300-general-k1-guides-and-info/

and also you can read about the IR1/CR1... Link....... http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302-ir1-cr1-general-guides-and-info/

That way you can become familiar with the processes.

Also, if you click on the forums link from your homepage, go to the K1 and read some posts and do the same for the IR1. That way you can compare and contrast. I might also add that you click on portal link, it should take you to the Egyptian Portal (sounds like a science fiction movie :rofl: ) and read consulate reviews and consulate information. Here is a link to make sure you get there... http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Egypt

The more prepared you are with information, the better it will serve you later. The people who have the best success are the ones who inform themselves.

On another note, there is no reason to consult a lawyer unless there is something very special about your case. i.e. criminal background etc....

This website offers better advise (and there are a few lawyers here lurking around) than most lawyers. As another pointed out, pay close attention to the senior members (pshbrk being one of many) as they have more experience. Also, ALWAYS make sure if you take advise that it can be backed up with evidence versus hear say.

Good Luck with the beginning of your journey......

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

He is actually 2 years older than me, I'm 30. He's 32. True, I am divorced--- but he is also divorced. So its not really an issue for him. He already has 2 kids (his ex wife has them) which he pays child support for. He doesn't want more kids.

He earns about $2000 per month working in Saudi Arabia as a teacher, so if we filed from anywhere, it might have to be from there. I just don't know if I should live there with him during the whole thing, or wait in the USA till its done.

The above set of circumstances eliminates a number of red flags, so less of a problem. You'll still want to spend as much time together as practical but weeks at a time instead of months will probably work.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.