16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

US citizen, attempting to marry a foreigner who is currently IN the US (f-1), no children involved...

I'm concerned about meeting the income requirement. At the start of 2010, I was working in Americorps (low salary public service). In the fall I began graduate school, and wasn't able to work much during that time. Since december, I have been unemployed because i've been applying to another graduate program, which i'll be starting in the fall. I'll work some this summer, but essentially I've been "unemployed" (was living off school loan money) since November. I'll be taking out a lot in federal loans just to cover my tuition for the new program starting in August, and I know I won't be able to work much during the course of my studies. Is it possible for me to be the sole sponsor on her I-864, or am I considered below the poverty line? (In which case, what student ISN'T below the line?)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I have the same Question!!!!!

USCIS

04/19/2011 - NOA1

05/09/2011 - NOA2 text message and email received

05/17/2011 - Case received at NVC

05/20/2011 - Received NOA2 approval letter in USPS mail.

NVC

05/17/2011 - NVC Receive (No case number assigned yet)

05/18/2011 - NVC Case Number Assigned, received IIN number / Gave Emails

05/18/2011 - DS-3032 Sent to NVC (via email)

05/19/2011 - DS-3032 Accepted by NVC, AOS Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - AOS Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - AOS Fee - PAID

05/19/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee - Paid

06/02/2011 - DS-230 Packet Sent

06/02/2011 - AOS I-864 Sent

05/03/2011 - All the Paperwork Received at NVC

07/19/2011 - Sign in Failed (SIF)

07/19/2011 - NVC Case Complete!!!!

(16 weeks from NVC case closed to Interview date assigned 11/02/2011)

12/13/2011 - Interview date!!!!

11/21/2011 - Medical DONE

12/13/2011 - Interview done APPROVED!!!!

12/21/2011 - Entry to US JFK!!!!

California Service Center

Consulate : Haiti

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Its just your income you dont have to add your spouse's income and you dont have to file joint as you guys are not married yet.

You need to be above 20% of the poverty line to be able to sponsor, if you do not have your own income which meets the criteria, you can use your parents or a relative as a joint sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

2011 taxes have not been filed yet. Perhaps you meant 2010.

Your annualized current and continuing income must meet the required amount on the I-864P (see link in my signature). If not, then you would need a joint sponsor.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't believe that student loans can be considered income as it is not income, it is actually debt that is required to be paid back...with interest

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I don't believe that student loans can be considered income as it is not income, it is actually debt that is required to be paid back...with interest

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Good luck

Correct. Anything above tuition, fees, books, etc. may be eligible. Basically anything that a person would claim as income on their taxes.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Right, I know loans aren't true income, even if they in part pay for living expenses.

I guess I was just hoping that being a student myself would affect whether or not I was judged to be below the poverty line.

It's a numbers game. Doesn't matter your situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whether you are a student, a bum, or a CEO - you are all treated the same. There is a saying around here...no money no honey. If you can't provide the minimum requirements yourself, you need to find a cosponsor

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

K-3 visa hopefuls don't file the I-864

I'll assume you aren't filing for a visa, but instead filing for an 'adjustment of status' since she's already in USA (albeit still unmarried)

*** moving to AOS/Student/work/tourist forum ***

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

K-3 visa hopefuls don't file the I-864

I'll assume you aren't filing for a visa, but instead filing for an 'adjustment of status' since she's already in USA (albeit still unmarried)

Wait, are you saying that instead of applying for an adjustment of status to permanent resident (as a spouse), we could get married and file for a k-3?

Also, does anyone have a clear guide as to how income is determined? I was reading the i-864 instructions, and I realized that our combined income (my spouse and I) would be above the 125% mark, however neither of us are currently employed, which I'm guessing goes against the 'continuing source of income' stipulation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

In general income is determined from your tax returns. Some things such as non-taxed military wages, some disability pay, non-taxed retirement pay, etc. can also be included as income. I do not believe student loans count as income as they are a loan, not pay.

Proof of current income is required. Maybe start looking for a joint sponsor?

Wait, are you saying that instead of applying for an adjustment of status to permanent resident (as a spouse), we could get married and file for a k-3?

I think Darnell was referring to you originally posting in the K-3 forum instead of the correct AOS forum. From reading VJ forums I have understood that the K3 is a dead visa these days, i.e. it doesn't really exist anymore, even though it's still on the USCIS website. K3 would not be for you anyway, since your fiance is already in the US - the only benefit of K3 compared to CR1 is that it allowed the foreign spouse to enter US faster than with the CR1. K3 spouse would still eventually have to file for AOS.

You are doing AOS from F1, which is an entirely different process, and allows the foreign spouse to be in the US for the whole processing. since you are both students, it is more than likely that you will have to find a co-sponsor to meet the income requirements.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

US citizen, attempting to marry a foreigner who is currently IN the US (f-1), no children involved...

I'm concerned about meeting the income requirement. At the start of 2010, I was working in Americorps (low salary public service). In the fall I began graduate school, and wasn't able to work much during that time. Since december, I have been unemployed because i've been applying to another graduate program, which i'll be starting in the fall. I'll work some this summer, but essentially I've been "unemployed" (was living off school loan money) since November. I'll be taking out a lot in federal loans just to cover my tuition for the new program starting in August, and I know I won't be able to work much during the course of my studies. Is it possible for me to be the sole sponsor on her I-864, or am I considered below the poverty line? (In which case, what student ISN'T below the line?)

Most students do not meet the guidelines and use a co-sponsor. Student loans do not count for or against you except that a housing allowance can be used as income.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.