46 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I can't believe I trusted my attorney. I asked her several times before sending my package. I wonder how it will take for them to return it.

what you mean by "I-129F will be accepted."? Aren't they going to return my package and ask me to send the right form?

"then you will be out $$" I don't think they are going to cash my check If they return my package.

I would suggest you make an INFOPASS appointment and ask directly to them about what you should do. Since you entered legally and everything is lawful, you should be able to do it by yourself with the immigration official's help. It may take a few trips to the field office (where you make your ifopass app), but at the end you know you are doing things RIGHT... at no charge!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"The I-485 will be denied because there is no I-130 to establish that an immigrant visa number is immediately available." Won't we get a REF first before it's denied, requesting for missing form I-130?

What happened if they do deny. Do we have to resubmit a new package with the correct form? Maybe Infopass can help. What do you suggest we do at this point?

No. They send an RFE if a document or further evidence is required to establish eligibility. An I-130 must be filed either before or concurrently with the I-485. The I-485 is not approvable without an approved or pending I-130, so it would simply be denied. In the grand scheme of things, the I-130 is more important than the I-485 because the I-130 establishes one of the three key requirements for adjustment of status - that an immigrant visa number is immediately available. Without the I-130, the I-485 cannot be considered.

How about I-765? will they issue me work authorization?

As long as the I-485 remains pending approval then they can issue a work authorization. The EAD will be revoked when the AOS petition is denied.

What was the amount of the check your lawyer sent to USCIS?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

No. They send an RFE if a document or further evidence is required to establish eligibility. An I-130 must be filed either before or concurrently with the I-485. The I-485 is not approvable without an approved or pending I-130, so it would simply be denied. In the grand scheme of things, the I-130 is more important than the I-485 because the I-130 establishes one of the three key requirements for adjustment of status - that an immigrant visa number is immediately available. Without the I-130, the I-485 cannot be considered.

As long as the I-485 remains pending approval then they can issue a work authorization. The EAD will be revoked when the AOS petition is denied.

What was the amount of the check your lawyer sent to USCIS?

$1070 - I-485

$380 - I-765

$340 - I-129F

What do you you suggest we should do no? I suspect the reason they haven't cashed our checks because they are returning our package. I am not sure Infopass can help, since they don't have our file in the system.

:wacko: The I-765 is free when submitted in conjunction with the I-485. This lawyer might be the worst I have seen. I would consider at least a formal complaint and perhaps lots more. Anyway, I don't think there is anything you can do now except wait and see what they do. I think there is a good chance they will accept the I-129F, but hopefully they will realize that you are married and reject it. They WILL return the money for the I-765. I am a bit worried about the I-485. There is no I-130 to base it off of, so they should reject it, but the X saying that it is from an approved I-129F may cause them to think you entered with K-1 (as your lawyer indicated) and then proceed and send an RFE for the K-1 docs, which don't exist. Once the check is cashed, money is gone.

Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

There are good and bad lawyers, but that one isn't beyond incompetent. Filippe, the Mexican dude at the corner of Fairfax and Los Angeles Street who barely speaks any English, couldn't #### this up any more.

Only in America.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

To the OP, please don't take it the wrong way but recognize that even if you hire a lawyer to help complete your paperwork the onus is on you to ensure what is on those forms make sense. For eg. The incorrect selection of © on the form, wrongfully inferring you entered the US as a fiance was an easily avoidable error. If you do just minimal research on the process, even on this very VJ forum, you'll quickly get the gist of how things should be done and what applies to you. There are even examples of how to fill out the forms and information on correct fees is all around.

So unfortunately you've already hit a snag...oh well...chit happens...like others have said, your priority should be firing that lawyer who is clearly sleeping on the job. Next, familiarize yourself a bit more with the process so it will be easier to catch any future mistakes. I really really hope they return your package with your check and you don't lose money because of this joke of a lawyer. Best of luck.

Aug 23 2010 - Married

Oct 21 - Filed I-485, I-765, I-131 and I-130

Oct 22 - (Day 1) Application received

Oct 28 - (Day 7) NOA emails for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Nov 2 - (Day 12) NOA hard copies in the mail

Nov 12 - (Day 22) Biometrics letter in the mail- Appointment for December 3rd

Nov 18 - (Day 28) Successful biometrics walk-in

Nov 19 - (Day 29) Touches on I-485 and I-765

Jan 12 - (Day 73) Work permit received

Jan 13 - (Day 74) Advance Parole received

Jan 14 - (Day 75) Applied for SSN

Jan 17 - (Day 78) Social security card received

Mar 17 - (Day 140) Interview@ 10am...text notifying of approval and GC production at noon.

Mar 21 - (Day 144) Welcome letter received

Mar 25 - (Day 148) Green card received! 5 months of stress over.

Mar 29 - Wells Fargo Teller Group Interview (Found out later that day I was selected for 1:1 interview)

Apr 6 - Wells Fargo 1:1 interview

Apr 7 - I GOT THE JOB! So hyped...I feel alive again :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

$1070 - I-485

$380 - I-765

$340 - I-129F

What do you you suggest we should do no? I suspect the reason they haven't cashed our checks because they are returning our package. I am not sure Infopass can help, since they don't have our file in the system.

At this point, all you can do is pray they don't cash the checks and they return the entire package. The fees are correct for each form. If each petition contains the necessary documents then they could accept them and cash the checks. As H.T. mentioned, there is no fee with an I-765 if it's filed concurrently with an I-485, but they don't have to reject it if you do include the fee - they can cash the check and keep the money.

The nuclear option is to stop payment on the checks.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok as I see it this is terrible. If USCIS see that a 129f petition is sent in with a I-485 and a I-765 will they not register that she could not have arrived at POE as a fiance because that's what the 129f is for. That has to be approved first to get into the country yes?

SO to begin with this would not make sense to me if I received it with a I-485. That's just nonsense. \

To be honest I think you will receive everything back and then you can resend and fix this yourself. Get rid of this stupid lawyer and work off here this site is so helpful. To even get you to write a cheque for $1070 along with 340 and the $380 is madness as well normal people know that the $1070 includes the I-765 when filed with AOS.

You poor thing I hope you get this sorted and it all works out for you.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Timeline

the I-765 is free I suggest try calling or making an info pass and tell the IO what happen or you can call the USCIS and have them transfer you to the Immigration officer tell them what happen and what you should do

Our AOS Journey

March 4, 2011 Mailed 1-130 and AOS at the Chicago Lockbox thru USPS express mail

March 07, 2011, 9:44 am Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

March 25, 2011 NOA hard copy received

April 1, 2011 got an RFE for sponsors tax returns

April 15, 2011 biometrics appointment

May 12, 2011 rfe sent via usps priority mail

May 16, 2011 rfe recieved at lees summit

May 19, 2011 text/email notification rfe being reviewed

May 20,2011 I-485 touched/updated

May 27, 2011 Email/txt EAD Card Production

June 1, 2011 Email/txt notification for AOS Interview

June 3, 2011 Email notification EAD Card was mailed

June 7, 2011 EAD Card Received

July 6, 2011 AOS Interview *APPROVED*

Thank you everyone. I am really devastated. It was suppose to be a smooth process.

What is I cancel my checks? Will they automatically return my package?

If you cancel the checks then USCIS wont be processing the petition as it is.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Watta a dumb a** lawyer. Excuse me for my language. I just feel bad for dasha.. We hire immigration attys to help us with our cases and fill up the forms and send it in a right way which we dont have knowledge about. But we dont know if the atty made a dumb mistake or it was done on purpose..

On the other side, thats good you already talked to an IO. So are you getting your check back?

SEP 07 2007 - Entered US w/ B2 Visa

NOV 29 2009 - Met my USC wife

OCT 14 2010 - Got married in San Diego

MAR 03 2011 - AOS package sent to USCIS

MAR 07 2011 - AOS package received by USCIS

MAR 29 2011 - Notice date for all forms

APR 01 2011 - NOA1 receipts arrived

APR 04 2011 - Biometrics appt letter arrived

APR 06 2011 - Biometrics walk-in successful

APR 29 2011 - Notice date for I-485 Initial Interview

MAY 04 2011 - Received Initial INTERVIEW LETTER!

MAY 13 2011 - Received EAD/AP card. Applied for SSN

MAY 19 2011 - Social Security card arrived

JUN 07 2011 - AOS INTERVIEW - Approved!!!!

JUN 10 2011 - Card production ordered!!

JUN 15 2011 - GREEN CARD Arrived!! :)

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Watta a dumb a** lawyer. Excuse me for my language. I just feel bad for dasha.. We hire immigration attys to help us with our cases and fill up the forms and send it in a right way which we dont have knowledge about. But we dont know if the atty made a dumb mistake or it was done on purpose..

On the other side, thats good you already talked to an IO. So are you getting your check back?

Yes, that's what officer told me. I guess that's why they haven't cashed my checked.

I think some attorneys don't care if they screw up your life. They just want to make money and it causes them nothing to say "I am sorry" or come up with some BS excuses.

At this point I just want to do it right and get my case going.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.