46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I just married my husband, who is US Citizen. We hired an immigration lawyer to help us with AOS documents. She helped us to fill out all the forms, however I just found out I-129F form she told us to fill out is wrong. It should have been I-130. But, she claims it does not matter.3 We sent our package 2 weeks ago to TX office. It shows they received the package, but they haven't cashed our checks yet. What happens now? Will they return our package because we sent them wrong form? Or like our lawyer says, I-129F is fine and it's just taking USCIS that long to cash our check.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I am currently living legally in US

Filed: Timeline

Thats true I agree with the other post my husband the usc petition me and we sent out i130 abd it should be sent to chicago lockbox not texas office, its more likely your package will be returned, what other forms u filled out

Our AOS Journey

March 4, 2011 Mailed 1-130 and AOS at the Chicago Lockbox thru USPS express mail

March 07, 2011, 9:44 am Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

March 25, 2011 NOA hard copy received

April 1, 2011 got an RFE for sponsors tax returns

April 15, 2011 biometrics appointment

May 12, 2011 rfe sent via usps priority mail

May 16, 2011 rfe recieved at lees summit

May 19, 2011 text/email notification rfe being reviewed

May 20,2011 I-485 touched/updated

May 27, 2011 Email/txt EAD Card Production

June 1, 2011 Email/txt notification for AOS Interview

June 3, 2011 Email notification EAD Card was mailed

June 7, 2011 EAD Card Received

July 6, 2011 AOS Interview *APPROVED*

Yep. Highly agree. Having the attorney saying I-129F is the same as I-130 is ridiculous and negligent. Your package will be rejected outright, or the I-485 will be rejected but the I-129F will be accepted. Since the I-129F is irrelevant to your situation, then you will be out $$. Fire your attorney and get your stuff back from them.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Yep. Highly agree. Having the attorney saying I-129F is the same as I-130 is ridiculous and negligent. Your package will be rejected outright, or the I-485 will be rejected but the I-129F will be accepted. Since the I-129F is irrelevant to your situation, then you will be out $$. Fire your attorney and get your stuff back from them.

I can't believe I trusted my attorney. I asked her several times before sending my package. I wonder how it will take for them to return it.

what you mean by "I-129F will be accepted."? Aren't they going to return my package and ask me to send the right form?

"then you will be out $$" I don't think they are going to cash my check If they return my package.

Timeline

Thats true I agree with the other post my husband the usc petition me and we sent out i130 abd it should be sent to chicago lockbox not texas office, its more likely your package will be returned, what other forms u filled out

how do I know here to send? I live in New Jersey.

what you mean by "I-129F will be accepted."? Aren't they going to return my package and ask me to send the right form?

"then you will be out $$" I don't think they are going to cash my check If they return my package.

Well, if they think you are trying to apply for a fiance visa (which is what the I-129F is for) they might accept your I-129F and cash your check and start processing. If you send a petition for a fiance visa, they will probably think you are applying for a fiance visa. Why would they think different? They should reject the I-485 because there is nothing to base it off of (needs I-130 in this case). Hopefully they will realize you are NOT petitioning for a fiance visa, and send the whole thing back to you.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Well, if they think you are trying to apply for a fiance visa (which is what the I-129F is for) they might accept your I-129F and cash your check and start processing. If you send a petition for a fiance visa, they will probably think you are applying for a fiance visa. Why would they think different? They should reject the I-485 because there is nothing to base it off of (needs I-130 in this case). Hopefully they will realize you are NOT petitioning for a fiance visa, and send the whole thing back to you.

Do you think I should send them I-130 now with explanation or wait for the package to return? It's been 2 weeks since we sent them checks, but it hasn't been cashed yet.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Do you think I should send them I-130 now with explanation or wait for the package to return? It's been 2 weeks since we sent them checks, but it hasn't been cashed yet.

I suggest that you wait to know the status of the initial submission. Sending something now would likely result in the new items not being matched with the first package. Thus more confusion and potential delay.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

when they send all the files back to you, start all over with the 1-130 the right fee, and the other aos documents it should be sent to chicago lockbox,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I can't believe I trusted my attorney. I asked her several times before sending my package. I wonder how it will take for them to return it.

It depends how much the check was for. If it was the correct amount for the forms received, and if the documents required by each form were included, then they'll cash the check and process the forms into the system.

See, you can bundle as many different petitions into the same package as you like. Many immigration attorneys do this. As long as they can separate the individual petition packages, and each package contains the necessary documents, and the total payment is correct, then they'll accept the petitions and cash the check.

So, if the payment amount was correct for an I-129F and an I-485, and if the required supporting documents were included, then they'll accept both petitions and cash the check. The I-129F may even be approved eventually. The I-485 will be denied because there is no I-130 to establish that an immigrant visa number is immediately available. If this happens then you have a valid claim for a civil suit against your attorney. You should at least get your money back before kicking them to the curb.

Edited by JimVaPhuong

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

OMG, My attorney really screwed up. I just saw on form I-485 under Part 2 she checked c). "I entered as K-1 finace(e) of a U.S. citizen whom I married within 90 days of entry." This is not how I entered this US. I came here on J-1. What a mess!!! Hopefully my package returns soon, so I can make corrections. Do you think I should make InfoPass?

Timeline

It depends how much the check was for. If it was the correct amount for the forms received, and if the documents required by each form were included, then they'll cash the check and process the forms into the system.

See, you can bundle as many different petitions into the same package as you like. Many immigration attorneys do this. As long as they can separate the individual petition packages, and each package contains the necessary documents, and the total payment is correct, then they'll accept the petitions and cash the check.

So, if the payment amount was correct for an I-129F and an I-485, and if the required supporting documents were included, then they'll accept both petitions and cash the check. The I-129F may even be approved eventually. The I-485 will be denied because there is no I-130 to establish that an immigrant visa number is immediately available. If this happens then you have a valid claim for a civil suit against your attorney. You should at least get your money back before kicking them to the curb.

"The I-485 will be denied because there is no I-130 to establish that an immigrant visa number is immediately available." Won't we get a REF first before it's denied, requesting for missing form I-130?

What happened if they do deny. Do we have to resubmit a new package with the correct form? Maybe Infopass can help. What do you suggest we do at this point?

Timeline

How about I-765? will they issue me work authorization?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.