gyselle

Can i leave the country while my AOS is being processed?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi all,

I will be entering on a K1 visa and am planning to get married at City hall, and would like to apply for my AOS straight after that.

However, I'm currently only planning to fly home after I submit my AOS.

Reason being is:

1. our ceremony (with family etc) will be in Nov

2. I am still have a job, a rather good paying one that will pay for the wedding, and only plan to get a job in the USA once my AOS and work authorisation has been approved.

while my fiance has a good job and makes enough money, I am the sort of person who cannot sit around and not have a job while i am waiting AOS and work authorisation to go through.

My question is, will there be any issue with my AOS if i leave the country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

No issue with leaving the issue will be with returning. If you leave before you obtain Advance Parole (AP) USCIS will consider you to have abandoned your adjustment of status (AOS)and you will have to start all over with a CR-1 visa.

Timeline

No issue with leaving the issue will be with returning. If you leave before you obtain Advance Parole (AP) USCIS will consider you to have abandoned your adjustment of status (AOS)and you will have to start all over with a CR-1 visa.

I think i am caught in a bind. I am committed to my workplace till Nov; the (only ceremonial) ceremony is in Nov.

My initial plan was to visit him in June and get our marriage sorted out in the USA, and once I'm back in Dec, everything would be done.

it seems i cant just sign the papers and just leave; i need at least 3 months in USA before the AP is approved before i can even leave the country.

what if we got married, and i only applied for the AOS later? would that work?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You cannot marry in the USA and then leave... well, you can, but you cannot come back, as the K1 is a one-time-use visa. Where are you in the process? Your timeline shows that you are no-where near interview. If the timeline is correct, you will only get approved in the summer sometimes, maybe even autumn. Your visa will be valid for 6 months, so wait until November, then come over here and get married and stay.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

what if we got married, and i only applied for the AOS later? would that work?

No, you cannot apply for AOS after leaving because you need the AP or the GC to get back into the USA.

You would end up entering on the K-1 marry and leave. Then file for a CR-1 starting from the beginning and waiting a year or more going through the whole process again.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with penguin.

The K1 is a single-use visa. You have 6 months once you are approved to use the visa. You would be better off staying in your home country till your job is finished and then flying over to the US to stay.

You can apply to expedite the AP but I know of at least one person who had a job to go back to and was denied the expedite so still ended up waiting 2-3 months for the AP document. A friend applied for an expedite for her ailing father and that was approved but STILL took too long to receive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your proposed scenario has some flaws. One being demonstrating a bona fide relationship at an Adjustment of Status interview may be difficult if you've never lived in the US, just flown in for a wedding.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree with the above comments. If you visa expiration date allows it, wait until November to go to the US - you can finish your job, have your ceremonial wedding (NOT LEGAL), and then fly together to the US and use the K-1 visa to enter.

As soon as you enter the US, marry and apply for AOS asap. You will still have to wait 3 months for your EAD to work in the US though - that's just one of the downsides of the K-1 route. There's really no way around that, it's just something that we all have to deal with.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I came back from Canada last week, there was one question I was asked twice by two different CBP; ie. how long have you been leaving USA. I told them 16 days. It seemed to me at the moment that they were serious about how long I had left the country. If you leave too long they might deny your entry unless you have a damn good reason even though you have your AP. On the AP, it clearly states that CBP has discretion to let you in or not.

Also, as other VJers said, your plan have flaws. You would expect to stay here at least three months (most luck senario) after you file AOS given that you do not get any RFE or fingerprints re-print etc.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

As others have said, the K-1 Visa is valid for 6 months. So if you are just starting and the petition is still in the works, you are hopig for no sooner than June for the issuance of the visa and it would appear the visa date is the date of the interview--it was in our case-- so you want an interview date of June 1 or later and then you can stay in your country until November, have a celebration but do not actually get officiall married as that makes the K-1 invalid. Travel to the US and get married here and then apply for your AOS. That is about the only way I see you being able to pull all of this off without having to start over with the CR-1 visa.

Just keep a few things in mind:

1) The K-1 visa is a fiance(e) visa only. Once official married you must use the CR-1 spousal visa.

2) The K-1 visa is a one entry visa. Once you enter the USA it is used. You must have some other method of entry after that--i.e AP or GC or another entry visa.

3) Leaving the USA after applying for AOS causes the AOS to be denied--it even states that this can happen even if you are granted and have AP (rare as that may be, but there is a warning in the instructions)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dave

Timeline

Yes, thank you everyone for your replies. They have been really helpful.

As I am about 2-3 months away (or even more!) from my NOA2, i have decided just to travel to US in June to see my fiance.

I will have my interview with the embassy after the trip (july, aug?) and then, have the ceremony in Nov, then fly up in Dec, using my K-1, get married legally and apply for my AOS.

I have read on this forum that it is ok to visit while the visa is being processed, just bring all the paperwork to prove that i'm flying home and i have no intention to stay in the country illegally; and also that i am going through the proper channels to move there legally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.