elmcitymaven

What does "family friendly" mean in the context of VJ?

183 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

And those pinned topics cause more problems than they solve, because they are not maintained.

The personnel resources now being used for moderating every Regional subforum can then be focused on maintaining those pinned topics. Less babysitting, more organization and upkeep.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

idk there is a certain 'comfort zone' people feel within the regionals...language barriers & cultural differences are less of an issue. doing away with the regionals could cause people to either participate less or not at all out of fear of ridicule. i understand everyone trying to make things better for everyone. but, lets not over look the the reason VJ was created...to help people thru the process & we're dealing with multiple languages & cultures here. i don't like the idea of cutting the regionals because of the 'comfort zone' they provide.

Mike, I know of several Filipinos that no longer post because of ridicule by members who've ventured into the subforum. Do you remember the 'cat fights'? Although I don't read the RUB or MENA subforums, they've also had their share of similar problems. Whatever benefits of comfort that might exist for some foreign spouses, the negatives outweigh the positives, IMO.

Mike, I know of several Filipinos that no longer post because of ridicule by members who've ventured into the subforum. Do you remember the 'cat fights'? Although I don't read the RUB or MENA subforums, they've also had their share of similar problems. Whatever benefits of comfort that might exist for some foreign spouses, the negatives outweigh the positives, IMO.

Would better, quicker moderation be the answer?

Or is it too much to ask that we all act like adults?

Edited by B_J

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

@Flames, if it were just the Off Topic and Religion forums, I'd say you're right. Every board I have been on that has an off-topic section is usually a little wilder. And again, maybe because I'm new I don't "get" how the regional forums are supposed to operate here, but it was my understanding that it was a place for cultural topics that would be of most value to families with ties to that country, and also a place to discuss differences in the immigration process for that country or group of countries. I never expected to see a thread where the majority viewpoint about the illegal sex slavery trade in Ukraine is that it's the woman's fault and she should have known better.

The last thing I expected to see was the absolute most vile language and viewpoints towards women and the country overall. I saw the phrase "sperm bucket" used in one conversation. The phrase wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but the fact that somebody can get away with using it on (again, correct me if I'm wrong) a "family friendly" site just amazed me.

Captain Ewok, thanks for looking at my concern. (at least I think that's what you meant. :))

Well said.

Also, sometimes people don't even know what they're talking about, but think they know everything. Sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me mad... anyway, it's just not right.

Sometimes people post something really offensive for people from other countries in non-regional forums... but actually it just means that there are certain kinds of people in every country, so I try not to pay attention.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Timeline

yes i do remember the fights. those that venture to regional just to stir the pot should be dealt with harshly. cronic offenders ip banned.

steven you're finished with your visa process, i'm getting closer to being done. think about it as if you & your SO were just getting started. the regionals provide the 'comfort zone' to the newer members they don't get in the other forums. IMO closing the regionals is a bad idea & will do nothing to help move the site forward.

Edited by SMOKE
7yqZWFL.jpg

Put all the Embassy specific stuff under the US Embassy and Consulate Discussion.

Oh hai, are people listening now? :lol:

About three years ago, Yodrak said the only place Regionals belonged was as sub-forums of the Consular Forum.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

idk there is a certain 'comfort zone' people feel within the regionals...language barriers & cultural differences are less of an issue. doing away with the regionals could cause people to either participate less or not at all out of fear of ridicule. i understand everyone trying to make things better for everyone. but, lets not over look the the reason VJ was created...to help people thru the process & we're dealing with multiple languages & cultures here. i don't like the idea of cutting the regionals because of the 'comfort zone' they provide.

eta: damn it. i was on the phone w/ a customer while posting.. what rob & jenn said

Blah-da-dee-dah-da.

Life is about getting out of your comfort zone. Deal with it.

The personnel resources now being used for moderating every Regional subforum can then be focused on maintaining those pinned topics. Less babysitting, more organization and upkeep.

No you don't need pinned threads.

Regional forums just need to go where they belong. In the Consular forum. That's THE ONLY PLACE where Regional differences matter in the immigration process.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

even if I thought I had something relevant to post, I would not feel welcome.

That's unfortunate - there have been several posters going through Israel that have participated in the MENA forum over the years.

Filed: Timeline

But I ask another question. Why do people need a comfort zone? It seems to me that the need for this only exists if the rest of the site is often inhospitable, and perhaps that fact is something that should be addressed instead - something I think which is more akin to the OP's question.

quite frankly the former VJ moderation team sucked. certain posters were allowed harass people everywhere except the regionals, basically doing what ever they wanted w/o reprisal & the bolden was a sad reality. the comfort zone thing i'm referring to also applies to embassy specific topics. (people are less likely to confuse requirements & procedures when there is no doubt that a thread they're following is about their embassy only) to idk about the embassy you & your SO are dealing with, but the PI embassy has changed requirements & procedure twice since my wife went thru her interview a couple years ago....the staff here is a volunteer staff, asking them to maintain each embassy's infomation & requirements is obsurd. the free flowing constantly updating neighbor helping neighbor format of VJ isn't broken. some sub forums may need to be rearranged to fix issues you've brought up. imo-eliminating the subforums would be a disater.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Timeline

I seem to fail to understand how regionals are so detrimental. They have been a God send to many and help in many ways that go way and above most other forums on the site. The insights the older members can give the newer ones are tremendous. It goes way and above just the consulate discussion. We do use it for what Kathryn noted but much more. We have used it to help other members with problems that were not in the area of Visa or consulate and maybe that is why many here want them banned as the site is Visa related but what is wrong on giving advice on other matters having to do with not just Visas. Flight info, hotel info, traveling info, or just news that has come up and its effects. Sometimes when someone is traveling to where our region is we ask if there is anything anyone needs and do help each other. Is this why many want the regional banned?

What exactly are the reasons wanting all the regionals banned? All I have seen is someone sees tribalism, one regional seems to be rude, and even have seen someone say it is hard to moderate. What specific reasons are needed to get rid of the regionals? Just an all out blanket to get rid of them because a few don't like them is not enough reason. We need real reasons.

The tribalism that one sees may be there and that is because we have formed friendships. It is this friendships that keep many here to help the newer ones coming in for help. To get rid of the social aspect of the site pretty much means that when one is done with their journey they will move on and not be there for future journeys. Social aspects means bonds are formed. Bonds tend to be longer lasting. Bonds tend to also give oneself a feeling to want to help.