81 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Sad news, my fiance will not have enough money for the big wedding that she wanted. We prob have around $3500 to spend on the wedding.

She wants it all big white dress, cake, drinks etc. I was like, what if we get a small wedding and get a big one later when we have more money? She didnt want that because you only marry once.

Now she told me that we should wait a year to marry next summer, eventho we are already in the K1 process, Im a september filer. What do you think we should do? I cant go on like this, I was focused on getting married this summer and now it will be a year later. This is such a blow in my face. Its not that she doesnt want to be with me, not at all..she was crying and everything that she cant pay for the wedding.

What to do :(

Edited by brian89

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

If you already tarted processing the K-1 you have, I think, 6 months from the date it's issued in which to leave your country and then only 3 in the US to marry or it will expire. You would need to go through the whole process all over again and spend unneeded money if she insists on waiting another year. I don't see why you two can't just get married on paper, then do the whole shebang "real wedding" next year when she does have the money.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Timeline

If you already tarted processing the K-1 you have, I think, 6 months from the date it's issued in which to leave your country and then only 3 in the US to marry or it will expire. You would need to go through the whole process all over again and spend unneeded money if she insists on waiting another year. I don't see why you two can't just get married on paper, then do the whole shebang "real wedding" next year when she does have the money.

I know right!! But she doesnt want that...I dont know, country girl I guess.

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm, that is a difficult position... maybe let her think it over for a couple of days and see if parents don't come forward with some money. Many of my friends hold a "Stag and Doe" party, like an engagement party, with drinks and games and prizes to fundraise for their weddings. Or maybe she'll be able to compromise in light of the reality of the situation.

This sounds like it'll be a difficult one to negotiate, but there'll be even more of this when you're married, so however you approach it, remember how much you love each other and treat each other well!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can delay various parts of the process in order to give you a late 2011/ early 2012 interview date, and then you have 6 months to use the visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Hmm, that is a difficult position... maybe let her think it over for a couple of days and see if parents don't come forward with some money. Many of my friends hold a "Stag and Doe" party, like an engagement party, with drinks and games and prizes to fundraise for their weddings. Or maybe she'll be able to compromise in light of the reality of the situation.

This sounds like it'll be a difficult one to negotiate, but there'll be even more of this when you're married, so however you approach it, remember how much you love each other and treat each other well!

Her family is really poor, parents won't chip in at all! Just dont get it that she want to go truw this another year...another year apart only because she wants to have a bigger wedding. Just CANT see it.

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was going to suggest the same thing. Just do a court wedding first and then the real thing later. I expect she is an adult and should be able to do things according to available budgets. You need to have a heart to heart sensible talk with her and let her see how the process require you guys marry 3 months after she joins you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You can have a fabulous wedding for $3500! See http://www.greenweddingshoes.com for some amazing crafty ideas for weddings or I googled weddings on a budget and this came up... http://bridesknowbest.com/2010/01/15/a-3500-wedding-created-with-a-little-help-from-their-friends/

Another option is just the civil ceremony followed by the big celebration later. This is what myself and my fiance will be doing.

IMHO it is ridiculous spending thousands and thousands of dollars on one single day - I've been to many weddings and I don't remember much of what goes on, but I always remember how in love the couple looked! In our case anyway, we feel that the money would be better spent on our first home or long extended honeymoon :innocent:

Hope everything works out for you both and good luck!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead".

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

30.09.10 - Filed I-129F

06.10.10 - Routed to CSC/NOA1 email

09.10.10 - Cheque cleared

07.10.10 - NOA1

14.10.10 - Touch

15.10.10 - Touch

16.01.11 - Applied for Police Record (NSW)

02.02.11 - Received Police Record (Took 17 days)

10.02.11 - Medical (Received results 6 days later)

22.03.11 - NOA2 (166 days/5.5 months)

25.03.11 - NVC Rec'd

29.03.11 - Left NVC

05.04.11 - Packet 3

05.04.11 - Returned Packet 3

11.04.11 - Packet 4 (Original interview scheduled for 10.05.11 - requested earlier appointment with success!)

12.04.11 - Interview APPROVED!

21.04.11 - VISA in hand!

26.04.11 - POE LAX

04.05.11 - Marriage

AOS TIMELINE

11.05.11 - Filed I-485/EAD/AP

14.05.11 - NOA1

27.05.11 - Walk-in Biometrics completed (originally scheduled for 10.06.11)

08.06.11 - Interview date notice received

11.07.11 - EAD/AP card production ordered (58 days)

14.07.11 - AOS Interview APPROVED!!!(61 days)

18.07.11 - EAD/AP card in hand (65 days)

22.07.11 - GC in hand!!! (69 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No one should speed too much money on a wedding. If you are not comfortable money wise then your wife to be needs to trim back. Beware overspending is a habit and will haunt you later.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

okay..I will say what many people who read your thread are probably thinking. She wants to wait and get married in

about 17 months because she can only spend $3500 on her wedding???...SERIOUSLY?????...Of course this is an important day in many girls lives...dreams and hopes etc. but in spite of your saying how upset she seems to be, her priorities are completely selfcentered. She thinks she deserves to have everything "Fabulous" and needs more money to feel important. If you arent positive you are going to be VERY rich very soon....you may want to think about this...because

you will have this same problem over and over. Your marriage might be a disaster. I would at least make sure she understands that you will have to cancel the current visa if you need to wait 17 months....if she says yes....Perhaps

it is for the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sorry if I sound old-fashioned and all but cant she make the sacrifice for love?

Its not that she doesnt want to be with me, not at all..she was crying and everything that she cant pay for the wedding

Sure she was crying 'cos she wants to be with you or she's crying about her big white dress?

Both of you need to think this through, not just because of the K-1 in progress but for your future...

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As my dad would say, "champagne tastes on a beer budget". I understand the big white wedding dreams a woman may have, but considering she is dirt poor(like my Fiancee), she shouldnt DEMAND such extragance.

The princess may need to step down from her pedestal and you need to explain things before she expects the good things in life.

Too many horror stories here that could have been avoided.

November 2009- Met online

May 13,2010- Visited in Cebu, Philippines

July 01, 2010 I-129f mailed to Cali

July 06,2010- USCIS confirmed delivery

July 12,2010- NOA-1

July 21,2010- file touched

Nov. 19,2010- NOA2 Approved!!!!

Nov. 24, 2010- NVC received

Nov. 30,2010- Hardcopy recieved in mail

Nov. 30, 2010-case number received from NVC via phone

case forwarded to Manilla

Dec. 06, 2010- paid Visa fee at BPI

Dec. 07,2010-Embassy recieved

Dec. 28, 2010- Appt. finally scheduled

Jan. 11,2011- Medical exam

Jan. 18,2011- Interview APPROVED!!!

Jan. 19,2011- Visa printed

Jan. 22, 2011- Visa delivered

Jan. 30, 2011- Guam

Timeline

Thank you guys. Its kinna opening my eyes, not gnna lie. Im still like #######?? She rather want to be apart for another year then being together with me and having a small wedding, Cause she told me: "What is one year on the rest of our lives together?" And she gets upset with me that thats not what I want.

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

If you guys are on a budget, then she needs to put a bit of perspective on this. The K-1 process is costly and timely. It's a bit selfish on her part.

If she wants to spend more on a formal wedding, like multiple already said...do it on paper first and then have an actual ceremony later. There is also the option of taking out a loan if you can get one approved.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Hi Brian!!

I just read your post and I can imagine that this is very stressful for you.

You guys have gone such a long way already, and you'll receive your NOA2 within a month or so. It would be stupid to cancel the K1 Visa Process, where you already paid the fee and other oncost, just because of having a big wedding.

As a girl, I also dream(ed) about my princess dream wedding. But like I said, you have to "roeien met de riemen die je hebt" (I don't know the English saying). Use the tools you have, something like that :rolleyes:.

I don't really understand that she is thinking about herself only. Especially this far on the journey. A year is nothing compared to a life time together? Well, why not adding this year to your lives together, it's a whole year, 365 days!! DANG, I would walk over dead bodies to be with Aaron and can't wait for an other year, like most members here.

It's not fair that she doesn't put herself open to alternatives. There is nothing wrong to put everything on PAPER first and save money (AND BE TOGETHER) for her 'dream' wedding. Instead, she wants to be seperate from you for an other year. Doesn't make sense to me at all :blink:. If you love each other, nothing else matters.

Why a big wedding, if your love counts? Does she wants to make a huge impression to her family/friends? Is that what really matters? IMPOV, not really... It's about you and her.

It's selfish of her, and what if things like this happen in your married future? That only her opinion counts?!

You really should talk to her, deal with this as a couple and tell her that she should considder your suggestion. WEDDING IS WEDDING, it's about the wedding vows, not about all the fancy stuff around it. The fancy stuff around it will dissapear after a day, but your promises/vows will last a life time...

Keep us posted, and remember;

Love is a partnership, not some one way street...

xoxox Channah :innocent:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.