marielac

please help me...lawyer is confusing me

28 posts in this topic

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Ok so I printed out all the papers to mail to uscis but my mother spoke to a lawyer and he says I must wait to fil my taxes for this yr before I can fle the petition. I thought I could mail this first as it doesn't contain info on my income. The affada vit of support is not mailed until later right? Please advise I'm so confused. I want to get the process under way since it takes so long and I cnt file taxes until feb

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

lawyer is wrong. ask mother to stop paying for this lawyer, get different one.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Lawyer is wrong. There is no need to wait. As you say, your Affidavit of Support is not "due" until later. Besides which, your taxes aren't due until April. Similar discussion found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/291047-taxes-and-aos/

Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Also, I only make 18500 ayr. I am a student. My mom also maks arund the same. Is this a problem?

You are short $400 dollars to be able to sponsor your SO, will need a cosponsor. Check out the poverty income level guides.

You are short $400 dollars to be able to sponsor your SO, will need a cosponsor. Check out the poverty income level guides.

The poverty income guides state that $18,212 is the threshold. Please check before saying she is short - she's not.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

OP - you make enough. Check out the "Guides" at the top and look for K-1. That should help you. Also study the I-129F instructions at uscis.gov. Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

How much should the cosponsorf make?is it ok if we make about the same?

I find it strange that you have started this process with a lawyer and this has not been discussed with you. For 2 people your income needs to be around $18,999.est

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Heya! Welcome to VJ :)

I was a little over the top with what I sent with my I-129F but others are right. Your lawyer is definitely wrong. You will not need your financial info until after your petition is approved.

Here is a link to a topic I made when I was asking myself the same questions as you...what do I include, and in what order??

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/288575-organization-skills/page__p__4375480#entry4375480

Like I said, you dont have to send everything I did...but others' opinions on what they included are there too and might help.

Good luck!

xo :)

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

What do u mean "for 2 ppl"? I make 18500 and my sister said shed cosponsor. She mkes 30000. That's enough? Also, how do I file her as cosponsor? Where do I put she's cospnsoring? She lives in another house, does that matter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The 18,212 is the minimum needed @ 125% of poverty.... http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf as shown in the message above $18,999 is incorrect. More income is better but it is pretty much self explanatory. Your lawyer is wrong on the first submission to USCIS no I-134 is submitted. You reach this stage when at the embassy approval stage. after you receive the NOA2. It is then you need to provide the information on your income

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What do u mean "for 2 ppl"? I make 18500 and my sister said shed cosponsor. She mkes 30000. That's enough? Also, how do I file her as cosponsor? Where do I put she's cospnsoring? She lives in another house, does that matter?

It's good you want to be prepared, but I would'nt worry so much about the affadavit of support. They don't need that info until after your petition has been approved.

02iqn7wnr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok so I printed out all the papers to mail to uscis but my mother spoke to a lawyer and he says I must wait to fil my taxes for this yr before I can fle the petition. I thought I could mail this first as it doesn't contain info on my income. The affada vit of support is not mailed until later right? Please advise I'm so confused. I want to get the process under way since it takes so long and I cnt file taxes until feb

The process is very well defined through tons of links here on VJ. Here is a link to look at that gives you lots of info. Read it closely. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

A few things to point out. Your birth certificate must be "long form" not "short form".

Proof of meeting evidence. Boarding passes (not itinerary) Copies of all pages of passport to show stamps. Pictures of you 2 together with place and date on back. Any receipts of hotels etc.. that you stayed together.

This is just some general information. It can get very specific according to each case. Just make sure you take it upon yourself to become well informed of the process. Read other peoples links. Go to Forums..K1 and pick topics and read.

A lot of WONDERFUL information through this site. Most people will say that you do not need a lawyer, unless some strange circumstances, I will agree with them. They will not make your process any faster, in some cases they can hurt you as I have seen some lawyers make stupid mistakes.

Good Luck to you..!

P.S. The affidavit of support comes at a later time. Nice to be aware of requirements, but you need to do other things first. Make sure you check out anyone's advice (even mine) through looking at the facts on government websites etc.... I have seen some poor advice here also.

Also, the senior members here in VJ tend to truly know what they are talking about.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Heya! Welcome to VJ :)

I was a little over the top with what I sent with my I-129F but others are right. Your lawyer is definitely wrong. You will not need your financial info until after your petition is approved.

Here is a link to a topic I made when I was asking myself the same questions as you...what do I include, and in what order??

http://www.visajourn...80#entry4375480

Like I said, you dont have to send everything I did...but others' opinions on what they included are there too and might help.

Good luck!

xo :)

Agreed. Lawyer is wrong or Mom did not give you correct information. Not a big deal, you can find the information yourself and then bill the Attorney for your time to correct him WITH PROOF!:whistle: Don't forget to mention that could have cost you time and when he bills for HIS TIME, it's costly! Touche`. No, you can file your I-129F petition now. The Taxes on or before April 15th [sans extension]. The guideline is 125% above poverty level is $18,212 for two people, so OP you make enough with a little left over for lunch! :star: I think this link may have been posted, but in case its not, here it is -- USCIS I-864p Guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf.

And no worries OP. We all get confused around here.... well, at least I do! LOL :lol:

Mari

:ot: LOL... Dizzzzzzzzzy Ga Lizzzy! Am I on that thread of yours? LOL :luv: <HUGS GIRL>:ot2:

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.