• whale
    • fetus (balut, fetal pig)
    • insects
  2. 2. more options

• it's all fair game
    • other (please share)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A few days ago, we ran a poll asking if our readers felt that Americans' longstanding cultural taboo on the consumption of horse meat would ever lessen. Somewhat to our surprise, only 30 percent of respondents believed that it would hold firm, and the rest felt, to varying degrees, that pending economic and ecological factors, horse meat would eventually find its way onto domestic menus.

From the comments:

I don't see horse meat as a huge deal. What makes it different from eating a cow, deer, or elk? They are all mammals of a similar type, and it can be said that moose, elk, or deer are as intelligent as a horse, and many cow lovers would talk about how intelligent they are.

I don't understand why people see some meat as being wrong, and others as being normal (primates aside), and cultural bias aside I'd like to hear a valid argument against eating horse meat (or cat/dog for that matter). - Tyler

It's psychological, I think. I struggle sometimes with what's the difference between my dog and a cow. Animals we've been trained to view as pets tend to not be socially acceptable as food. I have to admit, the thought of horse meat turns my stomach – but I know there's no rational reason why it should if I also eat beef, pork & chicken. - Laura

The difference is humans have a social contract with horses, much the same way we do with cats and dogs. Horses serve a purpose in our lives: they are companions and provide transportation. Implicit in that social contract is to not eat them. In other words: we do not eat our friends. It breaks down the bond that exists between human and pet. We rely on these animals for work and companionship. How can we ask so much of them and then slaughter them for food? Obviously this is cultural. Many cultures either do not feel this bond or don't consider it taboo to (in my mind) disrespect this bond. - Ben

For me, it's not only for my personal belief as an Christian (read Leviticus chapter 23), but also my personal feelings as a Christian as no other animal is mentioned in the Holy Bible as often as is the Horse. - Lona

We'll talk a bit more about this later today and delve a bit deeper into personal reasoning (not to mention sharing a wicked cute picture of my pet rabbit Claudette), but for now, how far will you go in the name of adventurous eating?

http://eatocracy.cnn...aboos/?hpt=Sbin

This made me curious about people on VJ and food taboos since people on here are from all over. I made the poll the same as the one on the link.

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

I am reminded of an article I read about someone in NY offering a class that cost $100 on how to kill rabbits. He would take the students to some parking lot and let them practice. The whole idea was catering to local-vores who want to eat only locally grown (backyard) meat that was grown without hormones etc. The guy who ran the class argued that if you want to raise rabbits for meat, the first step would be to prove to yourself that you could kill one.

I am also reminded of a ####### restaurant in China I read about (or maybe I saw this on GlobeTrekker). They serve all sorts of penises (turtle, elk) in all sorts of ways (soup, stir-fry). /chomps.

I wouldn't eat horse though. No insight as to why :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I eat cow, pig and chicken.. not crazy about fish but I will eat it...

Idon't think I would want to eat dolphin or whale..

I wouldn't eat cat, dog, rabbit, horse etc... not sure why but I just couldn't dream of eating them....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

I'd like to think I'd try any food once, but I've never had cat or dog (that I know of) sat in front of me. I tried many "weird" things while in culinary school and while traveling so I'm not sure if I'd actually say no to something or not.

I am reminded of an article I read about someone in NY offering a class that cost $100 on how to kill rabbits. He would take the students to some parking lot and let them practice. The whole idea was catering to local-vores who want to eat only locally grown (backyard) meat that was grown without hormones etc. The guy who ran the class argued that if you want to raise rabbits for meat, the first step would be to prove to yourself that you could kill one.

I'm ok with that. I didn't actually kill a cow, but I watched them being slaughtered (it wasn't a slaughter house, they were doing it for us as a demonstration) about 50ft from me while I ate bloody prime rib.

I eat cow, pig and chicken.. not crazy about fish but I will eat it...

Idon't think I would want to eat dolphin or whale..

I wouldn't eat cat, dog, rabbit, horse etc... not sure why but I just couldn't dream of eating them....

what if it was sausages or some type of "mixed" meat that had bits of horse or rabbit in it?

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I won't eat the obvious - dogs or cats or rodents, insects, alive animals, etc.

Venison smells awful so I won't even attempt it. I won't eat horse because it just doesn't seem appealing to me and I doubt it will become readily accessible. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I won't eat rabbit because they're cute like a cat or dog so that's out.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wouldn't eat anything endangered - so that rules out most species of dolphin and whale. I'm not opposed to eating dog, cat, or rodent, as long as it's clean.

I've never tried horse, but I would. It was very common in Italy - you could even find it in the grocery store, I believe.

I wouldn't eat anything alive or insects.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

you don't eat trigger. :protest:

from #5 onward :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Ate horse in Belgium. Not sure why they kept feeding us it but it either that or nothing. It was OK but bland. Of course ate Dog many times when younger and in Korea and found it good. For some reason while in the Army stationed in Killen they kept feeding us rabbit. Every time they fed us rabbit they said it was chicken and when they said it was chicken it was rabbit. Not sure why they did that but one night got tired of it and after being served chicken again someone got up and yelled that we know it is rabbit so quit it already. He then sat down and ate while we all laughed. In Inchoen we used to go the market and eat at a place and they would have live things that we would eat. I used to get drunk off of Soju and eat about anything they tried to get me to and sometimes it was strange. They would cut the tentacles off of the octopus and the things were still trying to crawl off the plate and the suctions would still be working making it hard to pry them off the plate. When we tried to chew them the suctions would sometimes be on our inside cheeks and it ward to bite them off and then swallow them. Even life small fish would be served and swallowing them we could feel them swimming in our stomachs for a bit and that is weird. Many things were odd to eat like monkey brains and then the monkey meat itself. I had to be drunk to even try it though. Did eat bugs as I had to for training. Very nasty and was hard to do at first but had to learn for survival depended on it.

May think of a few more odd things and come later and tell all.good.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd like to think I'd try any food once, but I've never had cat or dog (that I know of) sat in front of me. I tried many "weird" things while in culinary school and while traveling so I'm not sure if I'd actually say no to something or not.

I'm ok with that. I didn't actually kill a cow, but I watched them being slaughtered (it wasn't a slaughter house, they were doing it for us as a demonstration) about 50ft from me while I ate bloody prime rib.

what if it was sausages or some type of "mixed" meat that had bits of horse or rabbit in it?

if I knew it was in there I probably wouldn't eat it

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I've eaten everything on that list other than cat, dog and whale.

I almost had whale in Iceland (the timing was off) and I would eat cats or dogs... not mine though.

EDIT: the poll is BROKEN. You have to vote for something in the first section and I don't want to,

Edited by John Galt

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
you don't eat trigger. :protest:
"More hay, Trigger?"

"No thanks, Roy; I'm stuffed."

On an evening foray into northern Peru in 2009, we ended up in a smallish town (in which a live turkey was walking up the middle of the main street). The only open place to eat offered us "carne de res," which is supposed to be beef (from a cow). It turned out to be burro, gag man. After seeking an explanation, Mrs. T-B. helpfully explained, "When people in Peru run out of cows, they eat burro."

Burro meat is very tough, si man. Gawwwwlee, Wil-burrrrr!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).