moroccogirlny

Online dating scam

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Lynbrook woman says she lost $25G in online dating scam

By MATTHEW CHAYES matthew.chayes@newsday.com

Joan Romano concedes she was gullible when she fell for a man on an online-dating site.

Romano, 53, of Lynbrook, spent about six months in a virtual romance with a man who described himself as a U.S. soldier serving in Afghanistan - and she lost about $25,000 in the process.

When the man, who said his name was Sgt. Austin Miller and, later Sgt. Austin Newman, asked her to send a laptop so they could keep in touch, she purchased one and sent it to an address he provided in Ghana. When he told her he needed her to pay the customs fees on the laptop, she did.

And, at his request, she wired him tens of thousands of dollars over several months.

"I fell for it and I screwed up," she said of the courtship, which had included promises of gold, marriage and starting a family.

Romano, who is divorced and works as an office manager for a rheumatologist, says she was suspicious - though not sufficiently skeptical to refuse his requests. She blames her gullibility on the daily stress of caring for a disabled brother and elderly mother, both of whom live with her, as well as on her patriotism. She had worked in the World Trade Center, though fortunately she had called in sick on the morning of 9/11.

Christopher Grey, a spokesman for the Army's Criminal Investigation Command at Fort Belvoir, Va., said his office is investigating the case.

Romano isn't the first person to fall for an Internet con artist masquerading as a U.S. Army soldier, Grey said. In the past six months alone, the Army has received hundreds of such complaints, mostly by women who tend to be middle-aged, single, divorced or widows, he said.

Among them are women who were convinced that the impostor who had ripped them off was a legitimate U.S. service member, he said.

Match.com, the dating site where Romano says the man first messaged her, said in a statement that it advises members to "be cautious of scammers, never wire transfer money or provide banking information to anyone," and report any suspicious activity.

A Nassau district attorney spokeswoman confirmed that Romano had filed a complaint but said the office told her to call the federal government because the crimes occurred outside the office's jurisdiction.

Romano says she also filed a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigation in June. Special Agent Jim Margolin said its Internet Crime Complaint Center doesn't publicly confirm or deny the filing of complaints.

It's hard to find such impostors, much less prosecute them, Grey said, because they tend to run their operations out of Internet cafes on other continents where there are legal "jurisdictional issues."

"They'll set up an operation, work it a couple weeks and move on," Grey said.

And contacting the Army to confirm a name against official military records won't necessarily weed out scams, Grey said, because many impostors steal identities of real soldiers.

Women in romantic relationships should be suspicious if they are asked to send money or valuable items, he said.

In Romano's case, she says she concluded she was talking to an impostor when she and a neighbor searched online last month for information about the man - and found pictures of him on a site about impostors.

"My face almost dropped," she said. "I said, 'Oh, my God!' "

Link

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Joanie not playing with a full set of dominoes -

sending a laptop to an address in Ghana

for someone in the US military?

I'm currently with the Rigling Bros. circus

and I'm living in Belize.

Oh and I could definitely use a laptop -

my wife uses mine all the time and I

could use a spare :devil:

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

This story mirrors another story I read that a Dell employee from India swindled thousands of dollars in cash and in goods from an American women. The naive woman went on to say that she knew something was amiss but she still continued to correspond with the said Dell worker until she realised that once her naked pictures were uploaded to the ominous Internets, there's never going back. No Dell employee can ever erase your embarrassment. Ever.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Women in romantic relationships should be suspicious if they are asked to send money or valuable items

Ya think?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just for the record, I was a soldier deployed to Iraq when I met the woman who is now my wife. I met her online but I also didn't ask her to send me stuff so...

hmmm, canadian flag. you didn't ask for timbits? :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hmmm, canadian flag. you didn't ask for timbits? :devil:

LOL, no I'm the US citizen petitioner, my wife can't be bothered to find out what she needs to do to get her green card and so I'm here on her behalf. When my wife first told me about this "Tim Horton" guy, I was quite confused. "Is he a friend of yours?", "Is he someone I should know but admittedly do not?"

Timeline

LOL, no I'm the US citizen petitioner, my wife can't be bothered to find out what she needs to do to get her green card and so I'm here on her behalf. When my wife first told me about this "Tim Horton" guy, I was quite confused. "Is he a friend of yours?", "Is he someone I should know but admittedly do not?"

just how much canadian tire money can one bring into the usa?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Women need to stop being so desperate in the dating game. I feel for her but wow...really?? :bonk:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

It's hard for me to find sympathy for anyone who falls for this #######. I mean, come on now.

Hey, did I tell everyone I won 3 million British pounds this weekend? I got an email that said so, so I know it's true!

24q38dy.jpg

Timeline

It's hard for me to find sympathy for anyone who falls for this #######. I mean, come on now.

Hey, did I tell everyone I won 3 million British pounds this weekend? I got an email that said so, so I know it's true!

that's all? dayum i won the un lottery for 150 usd!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *