dvit

what if I can't attend AOS interview with husband?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Can someone give me some genuine advice? Given our timeline, it's looking like my husband's interview is going to be scheduled sometime in mid-September. I will be out of the country traveling for work for most of September and if his interview date ends up being a time when abroad, I won't be able to attend.

Now, I know a barrage of comments will say "but this is the most important thing" and "AOS should be your #1 priority" - and trust me, I know it's important. But unfortunately, so is eating and having a roof over our heads. The only way for me to rearrange my work schedule would be for me to quit my job, and hence lose the only income we have. This is not a possibility at all.

What should we do if his appointment letter comes and I have a conflict due to my work travel? Infopass to reschedule, or should I get together a stack of letters and proof from my office that I am required as part of my job to be out of the country and send this evidence with my husband to the interview? Would it help if my mom went with him?

What is the lesser of two evils here? Rescheduling or letting my husband go to the interview alone with as much evidence as possible to show both our relationship and the specific reasons I am unable to be in attendance?

Thanks for your help and advice.

I-129F

08-15-2009 I -129F sent to VSC

08-18-2009 NOA 1

08-21-2009 Touched

10-07-2009 NOA 2

10-23-2009 Left NVC

10-29-2009 Consulate Received

01-06-2009 Interview - Approved

03-24-2010 Entered US

05-08-2010 Marriage

AOS

06-12-2010 Filed AOS w/ EAD, AP

06-22-2010 NOA 1

07-12-2010 Transferred to CSC

07-28-2010 Touched

08-13-2010 AP Approved

08-17-2010 EAD Approved

08-20-2010 AP received

08-26-2010 EAD received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband was deployed, Just included a detailed letter as to why he couldnt attend for the interview and my packet was sent to CSC and we had no interview.

I would say include a detailed letter as to why you cannot attend the interview with if possible your work shedual or itinerary type of thing for proof as to being away and why.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

I am 100% but I don't think you can't send a letter explaining situation like the above person said, US military has special privileges not civilians. I could be wrong though.

AOS Timeline from F1

Sent AOS on April 17

Received and signed on April 19

Got 3 NOAs April 26

Biometrics Appointment Letter received May 1 - dated May 26

Walk-in biometrics rejected May 12

Biometrics Appointment May 26

Interview letter received June 11 - for July 19 APPROVED

EAD Received July 9

GC RECEIVED August 2

The only exceptions I have seen for the petitioner not attending were for military people who were deployed.

You can *try* to get the interview rescheduled, but it is very unlikely to be successful. Given how difficult it is to just get something which is allowed, such as an address change through the system, I wouldn't count on successfully changing the interview date. Even if they say they rescheduled, I would try to go to the original one as well, then at least you could talk to the officer face to face.

It really sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and you may just have to give it your best and take your lumps. I wouldn't cut out the possibility of working with your workplace either. IF you get an interview notice, if I were in your shoes, I'd work just as hard at sorting something out with my boss before trying to deal with immigration. At least you can talk to your boss face to face. Also, you haven't been assigned a date yet. Maybe it will be at a time when you'll be here or you'll get transferred. *fingers crossed*

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Damn it my answer did not make any sense. What I was trying to say was military spouses get special privileges, civilians don't. You are going to have to work it out somehow.

AOS Timeline from F1

Sent AOS on April 17

Received and signed on April 19

Got 3 NOAs April 26

Biometrics Appointment Letter received May 1 - dated May 26

Walk-in biometrics rejected May 12

Biometrics Appointment May 26

Interview letter received June 11 - for July 19 APPROVED

EAD Received July 9

GC RECEIVED August 2

Timeline

Thanks for the responses. I've seen it done countless times for military, but I can't seem to find one case on all of VJ where this situation has arisen for others (beyond the basic "I'm on vacation then" sort of thing.)

My office is a very reasonable place, but even I'd fire me if I had to back out of one of my scheduled trips. They are essential, time-sensitive parts of my job description. And could you imagine if I lost my job for this, only to have them reschedule the interview? When my husband was my fiance, we booked a very expensive flight over New Year's so that I could be there for his visa interview. Then, days before Christmas, the consulate notified us that the interview date would be moved ONE DAY LATER...to the same day I was flying back to the United States. So after all that (I mean, it was great seeing him but I could have waited till after the holiday!) I couldn't even go to the interview.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the dates work out.

I-129F

08-18-2009 NOA 1

08-21-2009 Touched

10-07-2009 NOA 2

10-23-2009 Left NVC

03-24-2010 Entered US

05-08-2010 Marriage

AOS

06-22-2010 NOA 1

07-28-2010 Touched

08-13-2010 AP Approved

08-17-2010 EAD Approved

08-20-2010 AP received

08-26-2010 EAD received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Can someone give me some genuine advice? Given our timeline, it's looking like my husband's interview is going to be scheduled sometime in mid-September. I will be out of the country traveling for work for most of September and if his interview date ends up being a time when abroad, I won't be able to attend.

Okay so if you don't attend his AOS will be denied and he will most likely be given 30 days to leave the country, he MAY get time to appeal but I honestly don't know. K1 AOSers usually get a chance to appeal. You MUST go with him. The ONLY exception to that rule is Military personnel.

Now, I know a barrage of comments will say "but this is the most important thing" and "AOS should be your #1 priority" - and trust me, I know it's important. But unfortunately, so is eating and having a roof over our heads. The only way for me to rearrange my work schedule would be for me to quit my job, and hence lose the only income we have. This is not a possibility at all.

The AOS doesn't need to be your #1 priority... but your husbands successful AOS should be. The only important comment is: You don't attend, he gets denied and leaves the country.

What should we do if his appointment letter comes and I have a conflict due to my work travel? Infopass to reschedule, or should I get together a stack of letters and proof from my office that I am required as part of my job to be out of the country and send this evidence with my husband to the interview? Would it help if my mom went with him?

I believe on the interview letter (example here: http://images.tdaxp.com/tdaxp_upload/uscis_interview_notice_hg.jpg ) it gives the 1800 number to reschedule. Be advised that sometimes the rescheduling doesn't go through properly and when you don't go to the first interview that was scheduled they assume he's abandoned his application. Some people haven't had this issue, but it's more common that you'd think :S

What is the lesser of two evils here? Rescheduling or letting my husband go to the interview alone with as much evidence as possible to show both our relationship and the specific reasons I am unable to be in attendance?

Rescheduling will be your ONLY option. You do not go, he gets denied. It's honestly that simple. You will get 3 weeks notice (roughly) of the interview date. You should speak with your work about options should this letter arrive before you leave (and you'll be required to be out of the country over the interview date) such as getting someone else to go in your place, or delaying your trip, or coming back early. Otherwise, attempt a reschedule.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree with the other posters that this interview is critical. That being said, according to your timeline, your case was transferred, so there is a good possibility of you not having your interview and being approved without it. Some cases are still transferred back to the local office, but hopefully you won't be one of them. Should you get an interview letter, I think an infopass with documentation from your employer can't hurt anything. It might not help either, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Edit: I now see your note that it seems to have been transferred back to the local office. Did you get an email or something about it telling you that?

Edited by menina
event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There's a possibility that you will not have a interview since the case was transferred to CSC.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

I agree with the other posters that this interview is critical. That being said, according to your timeline, your case was transferred, so there is a good possibility of you not having your interview and being approved without it.

Edit: I now see your note that it seems to have been transferred back to the local office. Did you get an email or something about it telling you that?

You're right, her husband will more than likely not have an interview.

I think she misunderstood the notification that you receive about a week after it is transferred (when they resume your case) to mean that it was transferred back to a local office.

Just for the record, dvit, the notification you received after it has been transferred means that the CSC has received your case. If it is being processed there then you won't have an interview.

I wish you the best of luck!

692186zjad3k7xja.gif

05/20/10 | Married!

AOS Timeline

06.16.10 | Package received at Chicago Lockbox

06.24.10 | NOA-1 Hard Copies received in the mail

06.28.10 | Biometrics letter received; scheduled for 07/15

07.10.10 | Request for Evidence letter in mail

07.16.10 | Touched: I-485 (RFE accepted, case resumed)

07.22.10 | EAD (I-765) Approved! - day 36

08.05.10 | EAD received!

09.01.10 | AOS Interview in Orlando, FL - Rescheduled

09.22.10 | Rescheduled AOS Interview - day 97 - APPROVED!!

10.02.10 | Green Card received!!

(View my timeline for the complete list)

Miscellaneous Timeline

08.19.10 | Applied for a Social Security Card

08.26.10 | Received Social Security Card in the mail

10.08.10 | Applied for unrestricted SS Card in married name

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You're right, her husband will more than likely not have an interview.

I think she misunderstood the notification that you receive about a week after it is transferred (when they resume your case) to mean that it was transferred back to a local office.

Just for the record, dvit, the notification you received after it has been transferred means that the CSC has received your case. If it is being processed there then you won't have an interview.

I wish you the best of luck!

I agree she misunderstood the second notification but she MIGHT still have an interview. Most files are transferred to CSC now. I used to mean that there was no interview, now it just means your chances of no interview are increased. It can still get sent back to a local office for interview. Happens quite often except when you get notified it will usually say something like "This file has been transferred to our Des Moines, IA office for processing" so if you get (except with your local office name where I wrote mine) then you're probably getting an interview.

Timeline

Thanks again - you were right that I assumed the wording meant it had been sent back to Boston. I will keep my fingers crossed that we'll not need an interview. We've been so #######-retentive and thorough throughout this whole process that I'm hoping it will pay off somehow...

I-129F

08-18-2009 NOA 1

08-21-2009 Touched

10-07-2009 NOA 2

10-23-2009 Left NVC

03-24-2010 Entered US

05-08-2010 Marriage

AOS

06-22-2010 NOA 1

07-28-2010 Touched

08-13-2010 AP Approved

08-17-2010 EAD Approved

08-20-2010 AP received

08-26-2010 EAD received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

well i think you well be fine because when the uscis setting interview date they set it 30 days befor the date of the interview so that mean if you get any interview letter now or any time in september the interview date well be sometime in october

I've been in a similar situation except we are going on our honeymoon, not quite so urgent...

I read many threads about people's cases and one thing that a couple did was make an infopass appointment to explain the situation, HOWEVER, they also brought all their evidence and everything and the officer just interviewed them on the spot. Obviously I have no idea the likelihood of that happening successfully for other people. But it is an option to consider at worst case scenario.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Since part of the interview is to establish that you two are married and have an ongoing relationship, it will be hard to do that when you are not there. Agree?

Get it postponed or fly back and attend. This is an important step in your life and don't screw it up.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.