dvit

what if I can't attend AOS interview with husband?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

First, I honestly appreciate the first part of the above message and yes, I agree that it's important for me to be there. That's why I asked for advice in the first place. It is truly helpful to me to receive clarification that a postponement is what we'll need to do if an unavoidable conflict comes up.

But I'd also like to add that things like "don't screw it up" in the context of what I wrote are not helpful. My intent is not to screw things up. My intent is to find advice for a particular situation. And it's a completely valid situation, especially given that I NEED to have my job in order to be able to support our application for my husband's AOS. I can't imagine that others on this forum are so flush with cash that they can forfeit a good job and the prospects of a future career (as well as put their spouses AOS in jeopardy) because USCIS is entirely inflexible, unreliable, unpredictable and, in many cases, unreasonable.

So no, I won't screw it up. What I will do is start being more active on this forum in an attempt to help others - particularly others who, like myself, are genuine people who have their stuff together - find useful but also positive, proactive information as they navigate this process.

Off my soapbox now.

I-129F

08-15-2009 I -129F sent to VSC

08-18-2009 NOA 1

08-21-2009 Touched

10-07-2009 NOA 2

10-23-2009 Left NVC

10-29-2009 Consulate Received

01-06-2009 Interview - Approved

03-24-2010 Entered US

05-08-2010 Marriage

AOS

06-12-2010 Filed AOS w/ EAD, AP

06-22-2010 NOA 1

07-12-2010 Transferred to CSC

07-28-2010 Touched

08-13-2010 AP Approved

08-17-2010 EAD Approved

08-20-2010 AP received

08-26-2010 EAD received

I can't imagine that others on this forum are so flush with cash that they can forfeit a good job and the prospects of a future career (as well as put their spouses AOS in jeopardy) because USCIS is entirely inflexible, unreliable, unpredictable and, in many cases, unreasonable.

I don't think it's that people are all willing to toss their jobs for their partner's AOS-- I think it's hard for a lot of us to understand what kind of job is that unreasonable in allowing someone time off from work in another inflexible situation. I've never been in a job that was that inflexible, where the option is 'do it or quit.', maybe it's just me though. I mean, it is what it is, if you can't, you can't, if you don't have any form of family emergency leave or anything, then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I'm just saying that's where I think some of the attitude is coming from.

I agree with you that USCIS should be able to accommodate the situation, nonetheless, and hope you don't have any problems doing so if it comes to that!

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

But I'd also like to add that things like "don't screw it up" in the context of what I wrote are not helpful. My intent is not to screw things up. My intent is to find advice for a particular situation. And it's a completely valid situation, especially given that I NEED to have my job in order to be able to support our application for my husband's AOS. I can't imagine that others on this forum are so flush with cash that they can forfeit a good job and the prospects of a future career (as well as put their spouses AOS in jeopardy) because USCIS is entirely inflexible, unreliable, unpredictable and, in many cases, unreasonable.

There are scare stories posted here where people have tried to reschedule interviews but haven't been successful and had denials. However, there have also been stories RECENTLY posted here where people had to reschedule (for things like vacations :blink:) and have been successful. This forum is very helpful but sometimes people only concentrate on the worst case scenario. When I filed for AOS I was concerned that I would be scheduled for an interview when my husband is away at a national meeting which he would NOT be able to reschedule as he'd lose his job. He recently got promoted and it's a cut-throat business and there's no way he could miss it. He's my sponsor afterall and if he can't support me then we'd be really screwed. In the end we were transferred to CSC but I'd have asked to reschedule without a second thought. Some jobs, especially high-pressure positions, are not flexible at all.

AOS filed: 07/01/2010

AOS received: 07/06/2010

NOA1 via text: 07/13/2010

NOA1 in mail: 07/16/2010

Touched: 07/16/2010

Biometrics letter: 07/19/2010

Biometrics appointment: 08/04/2010

Touched I-485, EAD: 08/05/2010

Transfer to CSC: 08/05/2010

Touched I-485: 08/06/2010

Touched: 08/10/2010

Touched I-485: 08/12/2010

Touched I-485: 08/14/2010

Touched I-485: 08/23/2010

Touched I-485: 08/24/2010

EAD approved: 09/02/2010

AP approved: 09/07/2010

Received EAD/AP: approx 09/09/2010 (was out of town)

Touch: 09/24/10

I-485 approved: 10/14/2010

GC production ordered: 10/18/2010

GC received: 10/23/2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry, I was in kind of a pissy mood yesterday. If the conflict happens, we'll get an infopass appointment, reschedule, and then my husband will go without me to the original interview date as well to make sure they actually cancelled it and don't deport him for abandoning his case.

I just want to say one more thing: from a lot of posts on VJ, you'd think the USCIS was the most horrible organization in the world. But the reality - at least, for me - has been that when we've done things correctly, they've done things correctly in a reasonable amount of time. I know it's not perfect, but actually I feel pretty blessed to live in a country that allows us this opportunity. I will try to stop seeing all immigration-related government offices as evil entities.

(Okay, except maybe motor vehicles. They are a legitimate evil entity. I think their offices might actually be purgatory.)

I-129F

08-15-2009 I -129F sent to VSC

08-18-2009 NOA 1

08-21-2009 Touched

10-07-2009 NOA 2

10-23-2009 Left NVC

10-29-2009 Consulate Received

01-06-2009 Interview - Approved

03-24-2010 Entered US

05-08-2010 Marriage

AOS

06-12-2010 Filed AOS w/ EAD, AP

06-22-2010 NOA 1

07-12-2010 Transferred to CSC

07-28-2010 Touched

08-13-2010 AP Approved

08-17-2010 EAD Approved

08-20-2010 AP received

08-26-2010 EAD received

Hello! You're right some people paint USCIS as some heartless horrible organization. Rescheduling is not as hard as it may seem,for me at least. I had that same dilemma two years ago.My husband's(USC) job took us all over the country and we move like every 2 months so we knew that we will have a problem about that interview. When I received my appointment I was more worried than excited. LIke you my busband cant just take a day/s off from work. Some people told me that the interview was more important but they also did not understand the nature of my husband's work. So we had to fly home to our local ASC just so I can make an infopass and have it rescheduled. I specifically gave them dates which will fall around my husband's day off.A week after i received a new appoint ment letter.Thinking that everything is okay I made our airline reservations(we were in Alaska at this time) for Washington(home)..

.A week before the interview I received a letter from USCIS saying that they rescheduled it on a later date.Naturally I got pissed off and called them right away. And I just wont settle for just an operator. I asked for an immigration officer and I got it. I told him whats on my mind.Told him that my husband will get fired from work because the company already got a reliever for my hubby and now they wanted to change it just like that?And that we already have our plane tickets and such ..Well he was very nice and sent an expedited request to the my local ASC. The next day I got a personal email from the said service center's supervisor telling me that she reinstated my interview to the original date..All's well that ends all I guess..And on my interview the IO even asked me if I wanted to have it sent to AK where we are temporarily assigned. Sweet! They even stamped my passport so I can cross Canada..

Dont worry about it too much the USCIS is not that heartless.

Goodluck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.