spookyturtle

Saudis clear Israel to bomb Iran? Riyadh opens air space for run on nuke facilities, paper says

66 posts in this topic

LONDON - Saudi Arabia will allow Israel to use a narrow corridor of its airspace in the north of the country to shorten the distance for a bombing run on Iran's nuclear facilities, the London Times reported on Saturday.

Quoting unnamed U.S. defense sources, the newspaper said Riyadh conducted tests to be sure its own jets would not be scrambled and missile defenses not be activated so Israeli bombers could pass by without problems.

The path would shorten Israel's bomb run, The Times said.

Once the Israelis go through, the kingdom’s air defenses would return to full alert, the newspaper said.

"The Saudis have given their permission for the Israelis to pass over and they will look the other way," said a U.S. defense source in the Persian Gulf area told the Times. "They have already done tests to make sure their own jets aren’t scrambled and no one gets shot down. This has all been done with the agreement of the [uS] State Department."

Permission 'common knowledge'

Sources in Saudi Arabia said it is common knowledge within kingdom defense circles that an arrangement is in place if Israel decides to launch the raid, the Times said. Despite the tension between the two governments, they share a mutual loathing of the regime in Tehran and a common fear of Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

"We all know this. We will let them [the Israelis] through and see nothing," a Saudi source told the Times.

The newspaper pinpointed four main targets: The uranium enrichmentfacilities at Natanz and Qom, the gas storage development at Isfahan and the heavy-water reactor at Arak. Secondary targets include the Russian-built lightwater reactor at Bushehr, which could produce weapons-grade plutonium when complete, the Times said.

The targets lie as far as 1,400 miles from Israel, the paper said, noting that distance is the outer limits of the Jewish state's bombers' range even with aerial refueling. An open corridor across northern Saudi Arabia would significantly shorten the distance. An airstrike would involve multiple waves of bombers, possibly crossing Jordan, northern Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Aircraft attacking Bushehr, on the Gulf coast, could swing beneath Kuwait to strike from the southwest, the newspaper said.

Plan needs U.S. consent

Passing over Iraq would require Washington's consent. The Obama administration has refused to give its approval as it pursues a diplomatic solution to curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions, the Times said.

The Times' revelation comes in the same week the U.N. Security Councilimposed a new round of sanctions on Tehran. Israel and the West accuse Iran of building nuclear weapons, a charge it denies. Iran vowed to continue enriching uranium after the vote.

Israeli officials refused to comment on details for a raid on Iran, which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has refused to rule out, the Times said.

Aharaon Zeevi Farkash, who headed military intelligence until 2006 and has been involved in war games simulating a strike on Iran, told the Times: "I know that Saudi Arabia is even more afraid than Israel of an Iranian nuclear capacity."

Netanyahu's predecessor, Ehud Olmert, is believed to have held secret meetings with high-ranking Saudi officials over Iran, said Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37653040/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Another GULF War

Does anybody think just like they bombed that facility in Egypt, the Iranian will just sit arm cross without retaliation, Israel is within limit of those iranian missiles, they are not as weak as hezbollah.

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Another GULF War

Does anybody think just like they bombed that facility in Egypt, the Iranian will just sit arm cross without retaliation, Israel is within limit of those iranian missiles, they are not as weak as hezbollah.

In 1981, the reactor was in Iraq.

And Iran cannot fight a war with Israel from a distance. Israel has missiles, too. The first non-conventional warhead that falls on Israeli soil will see Tehran disappear in a flash of instant sunshine. It's why the coalition in the first Gulf War tried so hard to keep Israel safe.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No surprise there. :mellow:

Quite surprising, actually. I'd expect them to go through Iraq or Turkey... well Turkey is

definitely out of the question now, and Iraq would need Obama's approval which he is

unlikely to give.

I wonder what the Saudis got in return.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Quite surprising, actually. I'd expect them to go through Iraq or Turkey... well Turkey is

definitely out of the question now, and Iraq would need Obama's approval which he is

unlikely to give.

The Saudis would get satisfaction. They hate Shias.

Considering how Iran did against Iraq, Israel should not have too much trouble if it comes to blows with Iran. Interesting development if the air strike pans out.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Considering how Iran did against Iraq, Israel should not have too much trouble if it comes to blows with Iran. Interesting development if the air strike pans out.

Interesting is not the word I would use. If it gets that far it will turn into a disaster of unimaginable proportions. This world does not need another war right now, and certainly doesn't need Iran and Israel butting heads. :angry:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Interesting is not the word I would use. If it gets that far it will turn into a disaster of unimaginable proportions. This world does not need another war right now, and certainly doesn't need Iran and Israel butting heads. :angry:

That much is likely true!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

unlikely to give.

No - not surprising at all. This has been 'in negotiation' for many years. This news article is 'final report' of the negotiation.

And those negotiations were public knowledge, published in the press. H3ll, even I know about it, and I'm just a casual reader. Path through Saudi Arabia is the best path to 'git r done' and had already been vetted by military commanders and planners.

I'm happy the Saudis finally gave their official approval. IMO, it's been too long in coming. IRAN has vowed to destroy Israel, for at least 20 years now (if not more).

Yay Saudi Arabia !!

GoGoGadget ClearSkyWays !

The Saudis would get satisfaction. They hate Shias.

YUP - good old fashioned Islamic Schism - gotta love it. I know I do...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

How does a religion of peace come to have two opposing factions that wish each other harm if not violent death?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ready4ONE - really ? The schism between Sunni and Shi'a/Shi'ite is well documented. I must assume yer asking a rhetorical question, yes?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !