GG_CAN

Can I marry without a K-1?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian Citizen who is currently engaged to an American Citizen. I have been trying to find out if it is possible to marry her this Summer when I go down if I have not yet filed a K-1 Fiance visa? If we can just apply for a marriage license, would the procedure be for me to leave the US until the application is approved, or is there a way for me to remain in the US until the application is approved? I believe I would apply for a K-3 visa after marriage. My intent is to move to the US, though I need to keep my Canadian citizenship as well because I have have 2 children still in school that I need to continue to support. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what the proper forms are and the approximate waiting period? Thanks.

Greg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a Canadian Citizen who is currently engaged to an American Citizen. I have been trying to find out if it is possible to marry her this Summer when I go down if I have not yet filed a K-1 Fiance visa? If we can just apply for a marriage license, would the procedure be for me to leave the US until the application is approved, or is there a way for me to remain in the US until the application is approved? I believe I would apply for a K-3 visa after marriage. My intent is to move to the US, though I need to keep my Canadian citizenship as well because I have have 2 children still in school that I need to continue to support. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what the proper forms are and the approximate waiting period? Thanks.

Greg

Becoming a resident of the US has no effect on your Canadian Citizenship.... In fact, if you would ever choose to eventually become a US citizen (should you become eligible), it has no effect on your Canadian citizenship....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi and welcome,

Reading the guides is a great start.

To answer your questions briefly:

You can get married in the U.S. - millions do it each year, you don't need a visa to do that. Although if you do plan to mention this when you cross the border in to the U.S., ensure you have extremely strong evidence of ties to Canada, lease, letter from employer etc etc

Once you have done that you can apply for a CR1 visa, no use applying for a K3, well I mean you still can but if the two petitions are approved at the same time that will mean you are applying for the CR1 anyway as the K3 petition would be cancelled (this happens pretty much all the time now).

The processing time is around 10-12 months from start to interview.

You can still visit after you get married but you cannot simply live in the U.S. until you have your interview - can't reside in the U.S. without the proper visa.

As someone already mentioned, your U.S. permanent residency, or even eventual citizenship has nothing to do with your Canadian citizenship.

Good luck.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi and welcome,

Reading the guides is a great start.

To answer your questions briefly:

You can get married in the U.S. - millions do it each year, you don't need a visa to do that. Although if you do plan to mention this when you cross the border in to the U.S., ensure you have extremely strong evidence of ties to Canada, lease, letter from employer etc etc

Once you have done that you can apply for a CR1 visa, no use applying for a K3, well I mean you still can but if the two petitions are approved at the same time that will mean you are applying for the CR1 anyway as the K3 petition would be cancelled (this happens pretty much all the time now).

The processing time is around 10-12 months from start to interview.

You can still visit after you get married but you cannot simply live in the U.S. until you have your interview - can't reside in the U.S. without the proper visa.

As someone already mentioned, your U.S. permanent residency, or even eventual citizenship has nothing to do with your Canadian citizenship.

Good luck.

The OP is a foreigner, so can only apply for the visa that matches the petition the US Citizen files, gets approved and is processed by NVC.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Exactly what trailmix said! You can keep your Canadian citizenship as a green card holder in the U.S.

Good luck!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

The OP is a foreigner, so can only apply for the visa that matches the petition the US Citizen files, gets approved and is processed by NVC.

/sigh

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

/sigh

No offense but I'm on a continuing crusade to stop the practice of interchanging the terms "apply for a visa" and "file a petition". The practice has caused more confusion than you can imagine. The worst confusion comes from people not realizing they have a lot of work to do after the petition is approved, that they haven't been preparing for in advance.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

READ THE GUIDES; http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides. Then decide which yellow brick road you wish to follow.

:ot: but geez that yellow is painful on the eyes :blink::ot2:

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

:lol:

Back off and :ot2::bonk:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

No offense but I'm on a continuing crusade to stop the practice of interchanging the terms "apply for a visa" and "file a petition". The practice has caused more confusion than you can imagine. The worst confusion comes from people not realizing they have a lot of work to do after the petition is approved, that they haven't been preparing for in advance.

You know, I agree with you. The interchanging of the two is not a good thing. That wasn't my intention. If you analyze what I stated though, I can see how it could be read that way.

Edited by trailmix

Back off and :ot2::bonk:

:no:

You know, I agree with you. The interchanging of the two is not a good thing. That wasn't my intention. If you analyze what I stated though, I can see how it could be read that way.

Your good intentions were superseded by the crusade! :lol:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

:no:

Your good intentions were superseded by the crusade! :lol:

I'll take that as a compliment. The crusade is working. :ot2:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.