16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi there everyone!

pls help me and i need more advice..

my husbqnd is filing a divorce.. he wants me to explain to immigration

that i left him with another man but it was 4 years ago.and i dont understand that

his searching in craiglist men seeking men. in my area.

anyway he said he will remove my affidavit of support what is my options here?

and telling to immigration that my marriage to him is fraud.can he do that? pls help!

can he remove me in this country? im a 10 year green card holder pls help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

He really can't do anything to you. The affidavit of support is a done deal with you having the 10 year card, he cannot remove it now. Unless he has really strong proof that you entered for the marriage just for the green card, which if you have been together for this long even with some problems, then he can do nothing because every marriage has it ups and downs.

Best advise hire a divorce attorney and don't worry about his threats.

im a 10 year green card holder

If you have a 10 year green card based on your marriage to him, then there is nothing he can do to change your permanent resident status. He can't affect your immigration status any longer - at least not in terms of your green card.

What I am not sure of is citizenship. If there is a report of fraud, maybe they will investigate it. (dunno) If you married in good faith and can prove it (and he can't prove fraud, which is difficult), then there shouldn't be any problems there either, that I know of.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

i did'nt marry him to come here in the u.s nor to get a green card.

im getting scared about this.if he file for marriage fraud to remove his affidavit of support.

what is my options here. can he revoked my green card and send me back home?

thanks for the reply

im getting scared about this.if he file for marriage fraud to remove his affidavit of support.

thanks for the reply

If you entered marriage in good faith then there's nothing to worry about.

He can file whatever he wants but the rules for I-864 are clear: the affidavit is in force until you as an immigrant: naturalizes, obtains 40 work credits (around 10 years), dies or leaves the country. Divorce does not stop the I-864.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Stop worring he cant do you anything like everyone already told you, let him do what he wants to do he is blackmailing you because you found out his little secret. If he does the divorce now you can still file for citizen once you are eligable. REMEMBER IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT HE DOES HE CANT HARM YOU.

He cannot remove his Affidavit of Support--he is on the hook for it until it's completion is met.

He can tell immigration anything he wants and it won't matter.

He cannot remove you from this country.

Perhaps if you indicate to him that he should back off or you will ask for support alimony in the divorce or a settlement to help you recover your life from the devistation you suffered having to settle yourself in this new country alone because of his misrepresentation, then he will stop his empty threats.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

timeline.gif

Filling in your timeline will improve the quality of answers you will get to this kind of time-sensitive question.

If the affidavit of support has been filed and status has been adjusted,

there is NO way for him to "withdraw" it.

For a 10-yr GC holder, ABSOLUTELY not.

How long have you had the 10-year card?

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

thanks everyone for the advice....

i came here as a k-1 fiancee visa i got my GC

since 2006.we been married for 5 years separated but living in

the same house for 2 months.

what you mean timeline?

Your husband can't do a thing. He can't withdraw the affidavit of support after it's been accepted by USCIS, and it was accepted when you got your original 2 year green card. You now have an unconditional green card, so it's no longer tied to your marriage. Divorce will have no effect whatever on your immigration status.

He can write any letters he wants to USCIS. Unless he has solid proof that you committed immigration fraud then USCIS will ignore him. They get accusations from bitter ex-spouses of immigrants all the time. They won't do anything unless he has evidence that would convince an immigration judge.

This website has a timeline system where you can enter information about your immigration process. Click on "Immigration Timelines" at the top of the page, then look in the left column for a link called "Edit/Add My Entry". This will allow you to create your own timeline. This information is useful for people in determining what happened so far in your immigration process, and when it happened, and helps them to give specific advice.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks for the reply

No. He can't. Unless he has very strong proof.

Filed: Timeline

thanks for the reply

You need to relax. He cannot really do anything to your immigration status. Chill, you do not need to even remain married to him. He has no say whatsoever now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As others said before, since you have your 10 year GC you don't need to worry. He can't take it away from you. Good luck!

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

thank you everyone for the advice it really help!

ill try to relax..

This is a little bit off topic, but I was interested in knowing for personal enrichment. How "compelling" does the evidence of fraud need to be for the immigration service to act upon it? Do they have to have physical proof (ie, tape recording, written email, etc.?) I'm assuming 3rd party testimony and nothing else is not going to count, or is it?

Also, does anyone know anything about the presumption of fraud in marriages less than 2 years old? I've been told that marriages less than 2 years old at the time the green card is received is subject to the presumption of fraud (hence why the conditions on the green card are imposed), and the green card holder has the onus to overcome that burden. What, for instance, would happen when the marriage is almost 3 years old when it comes time to remove conditions on the green card and the USC spouse alleges fraud? How compelling must the evidence be, and does the burden now shift to the immigration service to prove there was fraud involved?

Just curious.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.