nixom

Adjusment of Status - doubt

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I Arrived in the United States with K1 visa, I married in the term of 90 days that require this visa, this no expires until June 2010. What happens if it expires and still no sent the package for Adjustment of status?

español

Ya entre a los Estados Unidos y me case con visa K1 que aun esta vigente hasta el junio 2010. ¿Que pasa si expira y aun no he enviado el paquete para el AOS?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I Arrived in the United States with K1 visa, I married in the term of 90 days that require this visa, this no expires until June 2010. What happens if it expires and still no sent the package for Adjustment of status?

español

Ya entre a los Estados Unidos y me case con visa K1 que aun esta vigente hasta el junio 2010. ¿Que pasa si expira y aun no he enviado el paquete para el AOS?

The visa is effectively "expired" the moment you enter the United States and are given a I-94. It's a single-use visa.

There is a ton of debate about the legal ramifications of not adjusting for status before the I-94 expires, which I'm not going to get into. Basically, the prudent thing is to adjust status as soon as you can.

Timeline

Thaks for Replay

My I-94 expires on March 29, 2010, but I have not completed the package for adjustment of status. I need complete some information. What possible problems could have I?

español

Mi I-94 expiro el 29 de marzo del 2010, pero aun no he completado el paquete para el ajuste de estado. Me falta completar alguna información. ¿Que posibles problemas podría tener?

Edited by nixom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you have a mandate to marry within 90 days of the POE 'arrival date', the date on the I-94.

There is no mandate to file for AOS within 90 days, listed anywhere.

Most people try to file within 6 months of the marriage date, is no problems with USCIS because of the time span.

Forget about yer K-1 visa expiration date. It was invalidated the moment you made it through CBP. Was useful for the single entry, you betcha, but it's the I-94 dates that you must follow (and you did, for the marriage).

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My I-94 expires on March 29, 2010, but I have not completed the package for adjustment of status. I need complete some information. What possible problems could have I?

español

Mi I-94 expiro el 29 de marzo del 2010, pero aun no he completado el paquete para el ajuste de estado. Me falta completar alguna información. ¿Que posibles problemas podría tener?

If you apply now you'll probably be okay. However, if you want to know all of the problems you could have, there are potential issues with having an expired I-94 and NOT having a non-frivolous application to adjust status submitted. Just today Arizona made big news by approving a bill that is expected to be singed into law that would have police jail people if there was a "reasonable suspicion" that they are unlawfully present in the United States. While you are NOT unlawfully present, I'd hate to be in Arizona without any evidence at all of your status and be dependent on some hillbilly cop who doesn't know the first thing about immigration understanding your strange circumstance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The very worst thing that could happen is that you could be deported. Worst case scenario, very unlikely. Avoid the Customs and Border Patrol inland inspection areas if you are not in status or have not applied and received the acknowledgement receipt.

Without adjusting status you cannot legally work, attend most schools, get a drivers license, etc. It can be a big headache/inconvenience.

All that being said you will find many people here on VJ that have been in the US without status for years. It's your choice. My advice is to do it as soon as you can so that you can have all the rights/conveniences of being an LPR.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I personally I send the form for adjustment of status. My husband wants to do everything correctly. Only that we still have some incomplete paperwork. Now I have all required vaccines and my husband and I, review all forms correctly. Just had that doubt, for I-94 have expired.

I have the Social Security number

español

Yo personalmente tramitare el AOS. Mi esposo desea hacer todo correctamente. Solamente que aun nos falta alguna papelería sobre la evidencia. Ya tengo todas las vacunas requeridas y mi esposo ya reviso todas las formas. Simplemente tenia la duda por que ya mi I-94 ya expiro.

Ya tengo numero de seguro social

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

do not send it, until it is COMPLETE.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

The very worst thing that could happen is that you could be deported. Worst case scenario, very unlikely.

With all due respect, that's not true. The worst case scenario is that he gets shot by a trigger-happy ICE Officer. Which is about as likely as being deported, which has a chance of close to 0 percent. "Close to" zero percent only, as US drones have deported even US citizens before, documentedly so, which is as illegal as deporting a K-1 who fulfilled the requirement of his visa, namely marrying the petitioning spouse within 90 days.

So don't be scared. File for AOS as soon as you can, but even if it takes a few weeks, or even months longer, nothing bad is going to happen to you. The real offset is that you can't work (legally), and that you can't travel to Mexico and back before you get your Green Card. The worst thing that can happen to you in the real world is that you get arrested for some stupid thing, just because you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll have to explain your situation to an immigration official (police has no right to ask you!). In order to avoid that, try not to get arrested, ever.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Best to set a deadline for filing, and make it your top priority to get all the forms filled out completely....and then file (sometime in 2010, preferably)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
nothing bad is going to happen to you
C'mon, Bob; you say that, and then you say this:
you get arrested for some stupid thing, just because you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll have to explain your situation to an immigration official.
True -- and it's also true that neither you nor I nor anyone can guarantee WHAT that immigration official's response or actions will be.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I personally I send the form for adjustment of status. My husband wants to do everything correctly. Only that we still have some incomplete paperwork. Now I have all required vaccines and my husband and I, review all forms correctly. Just had that doubt, for I-94 have expired.

I have the Social Security number

español

Yo personalmente tramitare el AOS. Mi esposo desea hacer todo correctamente. Solamente que aun nos falta alguna papelería sobre la evidencia. Ya tengo todas las vacunas requeridas y mi esposo ya reviso todas las formas. Simplemente tenia la duda por que ya mi I-94 ya expiro.

Ya tengo numero de seguro social

You should try theLatin America/Mexico/Carribean regional forum, where those who speak spanish can also assist you. Your english translation of "solamente que aun nos falta alguna papeleria sobre la evidencia" is not exactly "incomplete paperwork". What you want to say is that you feel you're missing some of the evidence you want to submit with the AOS. That changes the meaning a little bit, and prompts the question, what evidence do you have and what evidence do you think you're missing? Perhaps you already have all you need...post your list and those here should be able to better advise you.

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

With all due respect, that's not true. The worst case scenario is that he gets shot by a trigger-happy ICE Officer. Which is about as likely as being deported, which has a chance of close to 0 percent. "Close to" zero percent only, as US drones have deported even US citizens before, documentedly so, which is as illegal as deporting a K-1 who fulfilled the requirement of his visa, namely marrying the petitioning spouse within 90 days.

So don't be scared. File for AOS as soon as you can, but even if it takes a few weeks, or even months longer, nothing bad is going to happen to you. The real offset is that you can't work (legally), and that you can't travel to Mexico and back before you get your Green Card. The worst thing that can happen to you in the real world is that you get arrested for some stupid thing, just because you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll have to explain your situation to an immigration official (police has no right to ask you!). In order to avoid that, try not to get arrested, ever.

:thumbs:

Calm

I am a good person :innocent: . I am awaiting to the results of bank account. As soon have. We send the request

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Here's the question I've started asking in threads where people ask "what is the risk"...

WHY TAKE THE CHANCE?

Sure it's a slim chance that things go so wrong for you that you end up being detained by ICE and scheduled for Removal but... WHY TAKE THE CHANCE?

If it does happen then yes you'll be able to fix it but what about all of the extra headache involved? Who wants to spend even an hour in Jail? Posting Bond doesn't sound like a fond memory that we'll laugh about in 20 years and once your have a Removal Hearing don't you have to appear before the judge even if you've got it straightened out so he can quash the removal order?

Of course where you live (like within 100 miles of the border) can effect the chances of things going bad but then all it takes is for a pissy neighbor (racist, jerk or just doesn't like you) to call ICE and report an illegal alien living at your residence to cause you headaches that the little piece of plastic (and the NOA1 before that) can prevent.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just asking a reasonable question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.