HandA

What if a spouse dies before divorce is final?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello VJers and congratulations VJ Webmater for latest VJ Makeover, :thumbs:

I just have a quick questions only out of curiosity... If former spouse dies while in the process of a divorce proceeding, what would USCI asks during a K-1 fiance petition? I am assuming that the court will grant the divorce (or won't they, since the person is no longer alive?), but does USCI still asks for death certificate?

HandA

PS: I don't want to wish this on anyone, but I brought it up as a food for thought!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd imagine that you wouldn't have to continue the divorce if the spouse dies, but there could be a lot of legal issues that result from the pending divorce proceedings.

Including either/or would probably work as both indicate that the previous marriage is no longer active.

Sincerely,

Scott & Christine "Kiki" Cushman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hmmm this is interesting. I would think that unless your case has gone in front of the judge, the death would overrule the divorce. I haven't ever heard of a divorce being granted to someone who has passed away. Makes you think to have your will changed before the divorce is final! :whistle:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, I agree with above. The divorce would definitely not continue. Why should it? How can a dead person be divorced? Either way the marriage is no longer valid, so that's that! In this case the petitioner/beneficiary would show the death certificate of the prior spouse. Probably USCIS wouldn't even know that there had been a divorce in progress, and really they wouldn't need to know. The only way that it could be relevant is if the alive spouse started dating their new husband/wife BEFORE the prior one died, then they'd have to explain that divorce proceedings were in order at time of death.

As a side note, if you are asking about a K-1 visa, this is not the forum to be in. This is the CR-1 or IR-1 forum, but as this is a hypothetical situation, it doesn't really matter!

Edited by Marina-Del

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

As a side note, if you are asking about a K-1 visa, this is not the forum to be in. This is the CR-1 or IR-1 forum, but as this is a hypothetical situation, it doesn't really matter!

Moving to K-1 process forum from CR-1/IR-1, as guessing a CR-1 petitioner isn't going to be getting divorced while filing!

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hmmm this is interesting. I would think that unless your case has gone in front of the judge, the death would overrule the divorce. I haven't ever heard of a divorce being granted to someone who has passed away. Makes you think to have your will changed before the divorce is final! :whistle:

Out of interest (this may depend on your country but in Australia at least..) divorce does not cancel a Will which is why major family changes require you to actually make sure you change your Will. Marriage DOES cancel out a Will unless it's made in contemplation of marriage and that wording is inserted in the Will, as well as the name of the fiance such as "this Will is made in contemplation of my marriage to Jim Smith".

As for death & divorce, death WOULD cancel out the divorce as, as stated, a dead person cannot sign the final decree or negotiate the terms. The divorce stuff is over but it's likely there's some legal stuff involved such as 1. make sure the former spouses lawyer is aware of the former spouses death 2. locate the Will (if available) and start probate 3. the spouses former lawyer will need to be paid from her estate for the divorce stuff.

In regards to your qn specifically, USCIS need proof of termination of the marriage, whether this be annulment papers, divorce papers or death certificate of the former spouse.

So if you were previously married and your former spouse died, then the marriage certificate from that marriage, and the spouses death certificate are required as proof of marriage and subsequent "end" of the marriage so that you are now "free to marry".

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

no final divorce decree from a court= not divorced... married at the time of death.. the divorce becomes moot...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

no final divorce decree from a court= not divorced... married at the time of death.. the divorce becomes moot...

Excellent post...short, sweet and to the point!!!!! (I agree with you.)

Franc

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

If former spouse dies while in the process of a divorce proceeding,

This is actually a simple question that has a precise legal answer:

The spouse is not "former" until the divorce is FINAL. So the answer to your question is that the surviving spouse becomes a widow/er and the marriage contract ends. There is no divorce. You will not ever be divorced from that person as you cannot divorce a dead person to whom you are no longer married.

Similarly, if you were in the process of a divorce but reconciled with your spouse and ended the divorce proceeding before it was final you would not have to be married again as you would STILL BE married. However, if the divorce was final and you reconciled, you would have to be remarried.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello VJers and congratulations VJ Webmater for latest VJ Makeover, :thumbs:

I just have a quick questions only out of curiosity... If former spouse dies while in the process of a divorce proceeding, what would USCI asks during a K-1 fiance petition? I am assuming that the court will grant the divorce (or won't they, since the person is no longer alive?), but does USCI still asks for death certificate?

HandA

PS: I don't want to wish this on anyone, but I brought it up as a food for thought!!!

Any divorce granted where one party is dead already would be in error. Any death certificate would pre-date any divorce decree, invalidating and superseding the decree.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.