one...two...tree

Recommend sleeper/foreign/uncommon movies

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This movie - Shaolin Soccer, from Hong Kong is a freakin riot.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

omg shaolin soccer is teh roxxorz! I love that movie

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

S'nJ, I love your movie taste.

Let's see. I recommend Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. It was my first Bollywood experience, and it led to a longtime fascination with the industry. If you have not seen Bollywood before, this is a good introduction to how deliciously bad it is.

kkhh1.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

mow_poster2.jpg

This one might offend some people here, but I caught it on cable one night and was pulled into it - ended up staying awake until 3am to see what happened in the end. I was shocked. I don't want to give the plot away, but if you like documentaries such as Spinaltap, you'll enjoy this one. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
mow_poster2.jpg

This one might offend some people here, but I caught it on cable one night and was pulled into it - ended up staying awake until 3am to see what happened in the end. I was shocked. I don't want to give the plot away, but if you like documentaries such as Spinaltap, you'll enjoy this one. :thumbs:

that so reminds me of cavemanm anyway, i was an american in a previous life :P i love american bs, last i watched was K-PAX, oh yeah!

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Psychedelic Glue Sniffing Hillbillies

The title is pretty relevant to the actual film!

Would that be a documentary?

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

If Lucy Fell...

Actually has Sarah Jessica Parker and elle McPherson in it but it was lesser known for sure. It's a GREAT movie although a bit of a chick flick. It was written and directed by Erik Shaeffer....

THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE :) Quirky but good....

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
if you like HAPPENSTANCE...you'll love AMELIE. also, if you like Audrey Tatou you can see her in a small role in L`Auberge Espagnole (I thought this was a fun movie to watch.)

amelie is one of my all-time favorites... just watched it again last night actually :blush:

l'auberge espagnole (the spanish apartment) also has a sequel out called 'russian dolls'. i think audrey has a bigger part this time. but of course, to see it you'll have to find a tiny obscure theater or wait for the dvd. or go to france.

:thumbs: i liked kung fu hustle as well...

i like movies that have food, dancing and/or subtitles so how about:

tampopo, mostly martha, feast at midnight (great for kids), the company (if you like ballet)

tampopo.jpg

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Tatie Danielle - French film by female sirector whose name I've forgotten - about an evil old lady who moves in with her relatives.

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Psychedelic Glue Sniffing Hillbillies

The title is pretty relevant to the actual film!

Would that be a documentary?

Pseudo documentary. Parts of the film show the actual demented hillbillies ranting next to a mountain of beer cans by their trailer. These scenes are interspersed with cheesy psychedelic and Americana imagery and twisted music (some cuts by Charles Manson and Helios Creed). In this one scene a crazed hillbilly who lives in the basement is bragging about his masculinity and actually slaps the guy while he's filming. Probably can't find this one, it was made by a film student friend of a friend. I think I still have a copy on VHS though. It's a great party short, we would always show it.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
I enjoy watching a lot of foreign films. This movie is one of the scariest movies I've seen in long time.

devils%20backbone.jpg

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

During the last days of the Spanish Civil War, Twelve-year old Carlos is abruptly dropped off at the Santa Lucia School for safekeeping. The school, which is more of a compound, houses orphans of The Republican Militia soldiers killed during the war. Once Carlos settles in, he immediately makes some friends, as well as some enemies. As the days pass, Carlos learns there is far more going on here than the schooling of orphaned boys.

If you're perusing your local video store or belong to Netflix, I'd highly recommend this one. :thumbs:

Great movie!

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for starting this thread, btw. I love movies, especially foreign and independent movies.

Stuff I recently watched and can recommend (American or British movies):

NBT - Never been thawed (Mocumentary about frozen food collectors, very funny)

Thumbsucker (hilarious, about a high schooler who tries to overcome his thumb-sucking)

The Whale and the Squid (somewhat sobby drama about children going through their parents divorce, but well-made movie)

Matchpoint (latest Woody Allen, set in England about a guy who is in love with two women. Surprising take at the subject with an even more surprising end)

Transamerica (about a transsexual women who goes on a road-trip with her son)

Ladies in Lavender (about two English sister who save a foreigner from drowning during WW2)

Junebug (about a recently married women who is suddenly confronted with her Southern inlaws, funny and sad, but well done)

Everything is illuminated (funny movie about the journey of a young American to Ukraine trying to find out about his families roots. The Ukrainian guide is mind-blowingly funny...)

Foreign movies:

The Edukators (German movie about a group of young people who break into people's houses to make a point about consumer culture until they suddenly meet one of the owners and kidnap him. Weird movie but well done, sometimes funny and suspenseful)

Good-Bye Lenin (German movie about a young man who decides to keep his mother, who has awaken from a coma, from finding out that the wall came down. Funny in parts and interesting historically)

Winter Sleepers (German movie about revenge (among other things)).

The Princess and the Warrior (Another German movie, about a woman who is saved by a small-time crook and consequently becomes involved in his life. Somewhat fantastic and surreal, but good).

Cote d'Azur (French romantic comedy at its best. Funny and sexy and lots of confusion)

Monsieur Ibrahim (French movie about a Jewish boy who moves in with his Muslim neighbor. Funny, but only to a certain degree. Stars Omar Sharif)

Look at me (French movie about young woman who grows up in the shadow of her dad, a famous writer, and her attempts to garner some attention for something else than being her dad's daughter. Interesting and well-made)

Distant (Turkish movie about solitude or rather isolation. Focuses on a photographer who is visited by his country-cousin. Beautiful images).

Cuckoo (Finish movie set in Lappland during WW2)

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

You should see Kung Fu Hustle. Great follow up movie!!!!!

poster.jpg

Another movie I just saw. A drama... #18 on IMDB top 250.... City of God

COG_poster.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG