one...two...tree

Recommend sleeper/foreign/uncommon movies

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I enjoy watching a lot of foreign films. This movie is one of the scariest movies I've seen in long time.

devils%20backbone.jpg

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

During the last days of the Spanish Civil War, Twelve-year old Carlos is abruptly dropped off at the Santa Lucia School for safekeeping. The school, which is more of a compound, houses orphans of The Republican Militia soldiers killed during the war. Once Carlos settles in, he immediately makes some friends, as well as some enemies. As the days pass, Carlos learns there is far more going on here than the schooling of orphaned boys.

If you're perusing your local video store or belong to Netflix, I'd highly recommend this one. :thumbs:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I like the Swedish movie My Life as A Dog...

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Io Non Ho Paura (I'm Not Scared)

Secrets. Betrayal. Murder.

Above and below… inside and out… emerged and submerged… visible and invisible… big and small. Two worlds in confrontation, at times one incomprehensible to the other and frequently seeing the same thing in different ways.

–Gabriele Salvatores

Something sinister is lurking under the surface of 10 year old Michele's (GIUSEPPE CRISTIANO) idyllic summer. While the days in his remote southern Italian village are filled with the familiar routines of childhood, a startling discovery of a secret bunker ensconced in the surrounding windswept fields leads to a shocking revelation.

Now, beyond the point-of-no-return, the further Michele digs, the more he uncovers - suddenly finding out that everyone in his life is a suspect in what's quickly becoming the country's most nefarious crime. From GABRIELE SALVATORES, the acclaimed director of the Academy Award winning "Mediterraneo," comes I'M NOT SCARED.

Ночной Дозор (Night Watch) was quite good and was in fact shown throughout the US as it has special effects at or above our own sci-fi movies! It can also be found on Netflix.

It's sequel (Дневной Дозор or Day Watch) was also VERY good though not as many effect but the ones it had were quite good!

They are vampire movies along the lines of the Blade series... but Russian.

Day Watch is NOT available on Netflix....yet.

I could only find a description for Day Watch:

The second film in the Night Watch trilogy

This time the World happens to be on the threshold of war between the Dark and Light Powers... The Inquisitor steps into the limelight. It means that stakes are very high now and all the participants are only pawns in the big game.

Anton Gorodetsky, the operative of Night patrol, nightly battling witches and vampires in the streets of Moscow, becomes such a pawn in intrigue that has very thin plot. But neither the master manipulator, nor the victim can imagine what the outcome of this chain of unfortunate events will follow...

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love watching movies from when I was a kid;

The Neverending Story

The Dark Crystal

Batteries not Included

The teen Years;

Heathers

Tremors

The Whole 90210 Series

Dream a Little Dream ( remember the Corey's?)

The Boy that could Fly

Oh to remember the old days of teen heart throb movies.....beta and VHS...

I found this for Night Watch:

The first part of a trilogy, NIGHT WATCH is an old-fashioned good vs. evil parable that relies on some thoroughly modern special effects to ensnare its audience. Set in present-day Moscow, the movie begins with a quick skip back through the centuries to inform us how a delicate truce was struck between the forces of Light and Dark. These forces still exist in Moscow, with both sides keeping a close eye on each other as they attempt to disguise themselves from the earth's mere mortals. NIGHT WATCH’s central character is Anton Gorodetsky (Konstantin Khabensky), who is defined as an "Other" by the legions of Light and Dark. Anton and his cohorts live as vampires, and await the arrival of a virgin who will announce the resumption of hostilities between the forces of Light and Dark; as the film progresses, it becomes apparent that an epic battle is just around the corner.

One of the biggest films of all time in its native Russia, director Timur Bekmambetov’s NIGHT WATCH positions itself somewhere in between THE MATRIX and BLADE in the pantheon of CGI-fueled sci-fi flicks. Although the plot is mind-boggling and occasionally verges on the incomprehensible, Bekmambetov is presumably using this first part of the trilogy to lure viewers into his wild cinematic world. Impressively, Bekmambetov’s film was shot on a tiny budget, but it belies its meager origins. Even the English subtitles are integrated into several scenes, with words zipping across the screen and melting into the action as a heavy-metal soundtrack thumps away. Knowing he is set to film two sequels, Bekmambetov leaves his audience hanging as NIGHT WATCH nears its climax, with his second installment (DAY WATCH) promising further FX-laden feuding, and, in an intriguing twist, an English-language climax to the trilogy with DUSK WATCH

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

anything by Pedro Almodovar

if you like HAPPENSTANCE...you'll love AMELIE. also, if you like Audrey Tatou you can see her in a small role in L`Auberge Espagnole (I thought this was a fun movie to watch.)

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Beauty and the Beast- Jean Cocteau

A incredible film, with captivating imagery. The human arm candleabras down the hallway and the faces on the wall with eyes that follow the main character have a surreal effect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I had my entire netflix list stocked with every foreign film they had. Alas, I had to cancel *sigh*

The foreign film that sticks in my mind is Battle of Algiers. Powerful stuff, banned in France until recently if my memory serves me correctly.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Debbie does Dallas is a great 'uncommon' movie...

lol :devil:

lol.. no.. seriously.. any japanese flick.. they are weird, but very fun.. favvy of all time.. Ichi the Killer.. ftw!

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1260f.jpg

I believe this was Owen Wilson's first movie, directed by Wes Anderson.

Owen Wilson, in a star-making performance, co-wrote the screenplay of Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket , a tale of three best friends who attempt to escape their suburban boredom through a life of crime. But these bickering, bumbling thieves are no match for the local "godfather" (James Caan) who leads them into the biggest heist of their careers...

You gotta see this movie if you like Owen Wilson - I'd say his best performance. :thumbs: