one...two...tree

Recommend sleeper/foreign/uncommon movies

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

speaking of movies, If you're from south america, watch this movie Diários da Motocicleta It's about Che Guevara, very good movie. :thumbs:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bang the drum slowly..

and........####### honeymoon

Edited by almaty

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
speaking of movies, If you're from south america, watch this movie Diários da Motocicleta It's about Che Guevara, very good movie. :thumbs:

I saw that in the theatre when it came out. Great movie! :thumbs:

:o ...I'm guessing it's probably not going to be on the shelf with the other movies. :P

Khal Ho Nal Ho!!

my spelling maybe Bad, it's an indian move with Sharu Khan and Amitha Bichan

Very moving story

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
bang the drum slowly..

bro' dean knows bout the good movies!! lolol

debbie does dallas, deepthroat, behind the green door, tabboo, caligula.. etc, etc..

pr0n cult movies ftw!

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline

closetoeden.jpg

Directed by Nikita Mikhalkov. This Russian director is awesome.

This French and Russian co-production is set in contemporary times on the Steppes of Inner Mongolia. Close to Eden provides a fascinating anthropological glimpse into a vanishing way of life.

Gombo and Pagma are a husband and wife who live on the Steppes with their three children and a grandmother. The Chinese government has made an exception to the "one child" rule that applies to the rest of China, and allows families within the ethnic Mongolian minority to have two children. With three children already, Pagma knows that her third child will be disadvantaged, denied school and other government services. She is determined not to have another child and asks her husband to buy condoms. Gombo discusses the matter with his local lama, who doesn't offer any advice, other that to say that he, too, has problems and that they should pray together.

Serguie, a Russian truck driver falls asleep at the wheel and finds himself stuck in the Steppes. Pagma helps him and brings him home to the yurt. Serguie is gregarious and friendly and is well received in the home. A subtle social commentary is woven into the fabric of the film, enough to let the viewer know that these are contemporary people, coping with the changing socio-economic landscape in the wake of the USSR's dissolvement. One impressive scene is an hallucination experienced by Gombo as he brings home a television set for the family. He sees a vision of his ancient ancestor, Ghengis Khan, there to warn him against modern ways.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Oh #######! I just found out it's not available in DVD yet. I first saw it 10 years ago - my animation teacher showed us a clip during class. If you can get your hands on a copy...it's a gem.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

A Cool Dry Place. Just a nice, small movie showing what acting Vince Vaughn can do when he's not being a smart azz...oh, and The Station Agent, also a quiet movie that feels good to watch.

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

one of my all-time favorites is Billy Elliott. set in a northern england mining town, it's the story of a boy who discovers that he wants to dance ballet, while his widower father and older brother are interested only in him learning boxing. really a beautiful movie! :thumbs: :thumbs: 1984: In a northern England mining town, miners are on strike and the atmosphere is tense. Eleven-year old Billy Elliot, whose father and brother are participating in the strike, whose mother has died quite some time ago and whose grandmother is not completely aware of what's going on, doesn't like the brutal boxing lessons at school. Instead, he falls for the girls' ballet lessons. When his folks find out about this unusual love of his, Billy is in trouble. Being supported by the ballet teacher, Mrs. Wilkinson, he keeps on training secretly while the work situation as well as the problems at home get worse. Finally, Mrs. Wilkinson manages to get Billy an audition for the Royal Ballet School, but now he also has to open his heart to his family.

we just watched The Boys and Girls from County Clare last night, and i loved it! a really cute story of two estranged brothers who each bring their Irish music bands to compete at a festival. great music, funny script writing and some beautiful scenery of Ireland. what more can you ask? The All-Ireland Traditional Music Competition attracts the best musicians from all over the country -- and a few from beyond the shores of the Emerald Isle as well. As John Joe and his band prepare to capture the band trophy with their County Clare jigs and reels, Irishman Jimmy bends his Liverpudlians away from jazz toward the time-honored strains of Celtic music. As the musicians make their way towards the competition, trouble rears its head for both sets of challengers: the Liverpool Shamrock Ceilidh Band and the defending champions from Clare, and at the heart of this adversity lie the vengeful interventions of two estranged brothers, Jimmy and John Joe.

other recent favorites i've discovered on netflix:

Danny Deckchair--Based on a true story, the tale of a cement truck driver named Danny, whose long awaited vacation is cancelled thanks to his scheming girlfriend, Trudy. Danny escapes his grim life in suburban Australia and blasts into the skies in a chair tied with helium balloons. A mighty thunderstorm blows him clean off the map, and spits him out far away over the lush green town of Clarence. In this new town, he rockets into the world of Glenda, the town's only parking cop. While the media back home becomes obsessed with the story of his disappearance, Danny gets to reinvent himself in this new town, and in his great adventure, he discovers a true soulmate in Glenda. Fate catches up with him eventually, as Danny's true identity is revealed and Trudy--now a tabloid celebrity--comes to the idyllic town to claim Danny and drag him back to Sydney. Danny, however, is a changed man; he's discovered what it means to be happy and has found a new self-worth. Saying farewell to Trudy, Danny makes a dynamic re-entry to the town of Clarence--determined to win Glenda back again and embrace his newfound zest for life.

Dear Frankie--Nine-year-old Frankie and his single mum Lizzie have been on the move ever since Frankie can remember, most recently arriving in a seaside Scottish town. Wanting to protect her deaf son from the truth that they've run away from his father, Lizzie has invented a story that he is away at sea on the HMS Accra. Every few weeks, Lizzie writes Frankie a make-believe letter from his father, telling of his adventures in exotic lands. As Frankie tracks the ship's progress around the globe, he discovers that it is due to dock in his hometown. With the real HMS Accra arriving in only a fortnight, Lizzie must choose between telling Frankie the truth or finding the perfect stranger to play Frankie's father for just one day...

The Mighty--This is the heart-warming story of a unique friendship shared by two seventh grade boys, Kevin and Max. Kevin, afflicted with a rare physical disability that prevents him from living a normal childhood, is an extremely intelligent boy who lives in the world of his imagination. Max on the other hand, is an over-weight boy who suffers from a learning disability and has failed the seventh grade several times. Fate brings the boys together when Kevin is assigned to tutor Max in his reading skills; here their magical journey begins. These two boys, who appear on the surface to have nothing in common, find they share many painful realities of being outcasts, and of being abandoned by their fathers early in life. Kevin's enchanting world of knights and their quest for justice is brought into reality through his exciting journey with Max. Through their adventures, they find a friendship providing completeness of self and an unbreakable bond of love.

Moll Flanders--The daughter of a thief, young Moll is placed in the care of a nunnery after the execution of her mother. However, the actions of an abusive priest lead Moll to rebel as a teenager, escaping to the dangerous streets of London. Further misfortunes drive her to accept a job as a prostitute from the conniving Mrs. Allworthy. It is there that Moll first meets Hibble, who is working as Allworthy's servant but takes a special interest in the young woman's well-being. With his help, she retains hope for the future, ultimately falling in love with an unconventional artist who promises the possibility of romantic happiness.

Waking Ned Devine--This movie was HILARIOUS! Jackie O'Shea, a resident of the tiny Irish coastal village of Tully More, discovers that one of his neighbors has won the lottery - the question is, who? It takes some doing, but Jackie figures out that the lucky person is none other than his new best friend, Ned Devine. Unfortunately, it turns out Ned is in no position to collect the jackpot, which totals almost 6.9 million Irish pounds. So Jackie and his real best friend, Michael O'Sullivan, try to figure out a way to share in Ned's good fortune - after all, Ned would want it that way. But things get a lot more complicated than either Jackie or Michael could have anticipated.

Whale Rider--On the east coast of New Zealand, the Whangara people believe their presence there dates back a thousand years or more to a single ancestor, Paikea, who escaped death when his canoe capsized by riding to shore on the back of a whale. From then on, Whangara chiefs, always the first-born, always male, have been considered Paikea's direct descendants. Pai, an 11-year-old girl in a patriarchal New Zealand tribe, believes she is destined to be the new chief. But her grandfather Koro is bound by tradition to pick a male leader. Pai loves Koro more than anyone in the world, but she must fight him and a thousand years of tradition to fulfill her destiny.

Songcatcher--After being denied a promotion at the university where she teaches, Doctor Lily Penleric, a brilliant musicologist, impulsively visits her sister, who runs a struggling rural school in Appalachia. There she stumbles upon the discovery of her life - a treasure trove of ancient Scots-Irish ballads, songs that have been handed down from generation to generation, preserved intact by the seclusion of the mountains. With the goal of securing her promotion, Lily ventures into the most isolated areas of the mountains to collect the songs and finds herself increasingly enchanted - not only by the rugged purity of the music, but also by the raw courage and endurance of the local people as they carve out meaningful lives against the harshest conditions. It is not, however, until she meets Tom - a handsome, hardened war veteran and talented musician - that she's forced to examine her motivations. Is the "Songcatcher," as Tom insists, no better than the men who exploit the people and extort their land?

i am adding a TON of these recommendations to my netflix queue. thanks, guys!!

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Timeline

poster.gif

Another great film from director Nikita Mikhalkov. Winner of Best Foreign Film! (forgot what year)

A long summer day in 1936.

Serguei Kotov (Nikita Mikhalkov), an aging military hero of the Bolshevik revolution, is enjoying the sweet life in his country house, together with his captivating (and much younger) wife Maroussia (Ingeborga Dapkounaite), their vivacious six-year-old daughter Nadia (Nadia Mikhalkov), numerous family members and friends.

Into this idyllic setting enters Dimitri (Oleg Menchikov), a young man who was Maroussia's lover a decade ago, before leaving under mysterious circumstances. Dimitri now works for Stalin's secret police, and it becomes clear that he has returned with an agenda. As he rekindles Maroussia's memories of their romance and charms little Nadia with games and music, the tension between him and Kotov builds, until the younger man finally reveals the nature of his sinister game.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I enjoy watching a lot of foreign films. This movie is one of the scariest movies I've seen in long time.

devils%20backbone.jpg

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

During the last days of the Spanish Civil War, Twelve-year old Carlos is abruptly dropped off at the Santa Lucia School for safekeeping. The school, which is more of a compound, houses orphans of The Republican Militia soldiers killed during the war. Once Carlos settles in, he immediately makes some friends, as well as some enemies. As the days pass, Carlos learns there is far more going on here than the schooling of orphaned boys.

If you're perusing your local video store or belong to Netflix, I'd highly recommend this one. :thumbs:

I've heard of that. Guillermo Del Toro has something of a cult following - he did another horror flick called Chronos, as well as 2003's Hellboy. He's actually trying to get the rights to do a movie based on "At the Mountains of Madness" - an HP Lovecraft novella.

I recommend Das Experiment (a German film). Its a psychological horror movie based on a famous social science study... That's all I'll say. Very Lord of the Flies...

Filed: Timeline

http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=9589

The best film ever made

Wooooooo!

"To be the man, you've got to beat the man. And I'm the man."

"Ladies....you can't be first but you can be next."

WOOOOOOOOOO!

Flair 3:16 means you just got chopped

"IV"

*Touched* - All night long...wooooo!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Dark City

clock.gif

DVD has commentary by Roger Ebert.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

B000053GXT.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Stars Om Puri as George Khan

In 1971 Salford fish-and-chip shop owner George Khan expects his family to follow his strict Pakistani Muslim ways. But his children, with an English mother and having been born and brought up in Britain, increasingly see themselves as British and start to reject their father's rules on dress, food, religion, and living in general.

...The father kept insisting that his youngest boy get his 'dingle dangle' cut off (circumcision).