26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Do we really need an attorney to go to the AOS interview? his fee is $3500 and he says he will go with us to the interview.We have already filled out all the forms using visajourney guide.My wife thinks we should hire an attorney eventhough we have a straight forward case. Any suggestions guys?

Do we really need an attorney to go to the AOS interview? his fee is $3500 and he says he will go with us to the interview.We have already filled out all the forms using visajourney guide.My wife thinks we should hire an attorney eventhough we have a straight forward case. Any suggestions guys?

NO need and Never ever hire any attorney it is easy and i think its faster if u do it by ur own...Goodluck

Edited by sayitonce

$3500 is ridiculous BIGTIME! What can he do at the interview? Hold your hand before the interview? Besides you may not even have one.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I personally think having an attorney come WITH you makes it look like you are worried about something you did.. I think it makes you look guilty of something.

The easiest part about the process is they will tell you if you've done something wrong (in the way of RFE's). The worst part is waiting. There's SO much info here that there really honestly is no need. It always helps to have a second pair of eyes though, so when I was doing the K1 process I had my mum and brother double check my documents to make sure I hadn't missed any questions, or if they didn't understand something, I was able to test my knowledge, or look up if I didn't know the answer.

I wrote a BASIC thread about AOS (doc's etc) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...235331&st=0 but it also gives you links to more info. Have a read through it, look at all the forms, including the example forms and see what you think. If you feel that you will need someone, then hire someone, but honestly, aside from triple checking forms and making sure you have all the evidence you need (it can take time) and the time WAITING (!!) it's pretty streamlined :)

Good luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
NO need and Never ever hire any attorney it is easy and i think its faster if u do it by ur own
If you're speaking strictly about a straightforward AOS case, you're right. If you're recommending never hiring any attorney for any part of the process, how can you say that it would never be advisable or necessary? Use of an attorney can be a tool in the arsenal, for use when needed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I personally think having an attorney come WITH you makes it look like you are worried about something you did.. I think it makes you look guilty of something.

The easiest part about the process is they will tell you if you've done something wrong (in the way of RFE's). The worst part is waiting. There's SO much info here that there really honestly is no need. It always helps to have a second pair of eyes though, so when I was doing the K1 process I had my mum and brother double check my documents to make sure I hadn't missed any questions, or if they didn't understand something, I was able to test my knowledge, or look up if I didn't know the answer.

I wrote a BASIC thread about AOS (doc's etc) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...235331&st=0 but it also gives you links to more info. Have a read through it, look at all the forms, including the example forms and see what you think. If you feel that you will need someone, then hire someone, but honestly, aside from triple checking forms and making sure you have all the evidence you need (it can take time) and the time WAITING (!!) it's pretty streamlined :)

Good luck :)

I agree. Makes you look like something is wrong with your case.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh my, attorney sucks! they really messed up from our experienced.

kenness

If you're speaking strictly about a straightforward AOS case, you're right. If you're recommending never hiring any attorney for any part of the process, how can you say that it would never be advisable or necessary? Use of an attorney can be a tool in the arsenal, for use when needed.

NEver ever hire an attorney JUST FOR AN AOS application..they asked too much money....ofcourse I know that some people need an attorney for some cases :bonk::whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
NEver ever hire an attorney JUST FOR AN AOS application..they asked too much money....ofcourse I know that some people need an attorney for some cases :bonk::whistle:

It always depends of the case and who you are talking with.

I had a couple of questions where people didn't know about. I also was stressing like crazy and felt like I had all the weight of my shoulder to do this. My husband is supportive, but he's terrible with paperwork and the less he knows, the better he is. Having a competant attorney for me helped me a lot to do things the right way, otherwise I would have messed up a couple of things. And it is worth it for me to know that I can just give a phone call and have awnser to my questions. I just feel better about it, and I don't have as much ulcers.

Considering an hour consultation with an immigration attourney is 150-200$ (I know, I shopped...), I consider what I am paying for the whole process worthwhile for me. I payed a package sum to have everything prepared and send to the USCIS, and yes the attorney will come with us, and I can call him for any question I have. They also helped me with finding a decent civil surgeon and a affortable translator.

However, we payed half of what they are charging you. So 3500$ seems really excessive for an AOS unless you have something really wrong about your case.

Edited by Mestis

2006 to 2010 - Working on TN status
09/26/2009 - Wedding
02/16/2010 - Green Card in hand!
02/12/2012 - ROC Done, Green Card Received

09/15/2015 - Naturalization Ceremony

Timeline

Can't edit again....

I reread your post and you say that 3500$ is JUST for the interview.. That is way overpriced.

09/26/2009 - Wedding

Filed: Other Timeline

I used US Visa Associates, based in Woodland Hills, CA, and paid $1000 for everything, start to finish. I was glad I had an attorney with me at the interview and -- if I were in the same situation again -- would do it again.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If you have a straightforward case (no deadlines were missed and all paperwork & evidence

is in order) there should be no need for an attorney. If I were the official doing the interview

I would think the presence of an attorney was a red flag. The USCIS says itself that by

hiring any so called "professional" there is no guarantee of a given result.

I would agree if there were one or more red flags an attorney's services may be required.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline
If you have a straightforward case (no deadlines were missed and all paperwork & evidence

is in order) there should be no need for an attorney. If I were the official doing the interview

I would think the presence of an attorney was a red flag. The USCIS says itself that by

hiring any so called "professional" there is no guarantee of a given result.

Is there any reason why hiring an attorney is automaticly considered as a red flag?

I mean, an attorney (a competant one that is....) is someone you hire to make sure you are doing everything legaly and that if the USCIS does something that does not meet the law requirement, he will know about it and let you know your possibilities.

No attorney will miraculously turn a sure lost cause into a winning cause.

My case is pretty straight forward. I am just a nervous wreck with my dealings with immigration. I did everything by the book, but still. This was way to important for me to risk it, especially since we could afford it.

09/26/2009 - Wedding

Is there any reason why hiring an attorney is automaticly considered as a red flag?

I mean, an attorney (a competant one that is....) is someone you hire to make sure you are doing everything legaly and that if the USCIS does something that does not meet the law requirement, he will know about it and let you know your possibilities.

No attorney will miraculously turn a sure lost cause into a winning cause.

My case is pretty straight forward. I am just a nervous wreck with my dealings with immigration. I did everything by the book, but still. This was way to important for me to risk it, especially since we could afford it.

No - no reason to consider it a "red flag" - the immigration process can be daunting to people - and having a lawyer who is skilled in immigration law can be the difference between getting a visa and not.

They may even know some ways to take if the plan "a" doesn't work.

I would say that most people can probably do this without one though.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.