HoneyandSonny

Losing friends because of marriage choice

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am sorry that your friend has apparently made that choice. Good friends are such a treasure for sure. Personally I was sad that some of my own friends reacted the way they did (I lost there friendship also)

when I became serious about my husband (morocco). However it has served as a sort of mixed blessing. I really only lost my most critical, judgemental, narowminded so called friends. The ones that hung in there with me, are quite facinated by my husband LOL, they love discussing his traditions and asking questions about his culture. He's good clean fun for them. My family try to impress him by trying to cook him his traditional meals and offering him mint tea :blush: which cracks me up because my mom will make him a tea bag version of "moroccan mint" tea and he always tells her how good it tastes. There all good sports. I hope it works out for you. Best wishes

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am sorry that your friend has apparently made that choice. Good friends are such a treasure for sure. Personally I was sad that some of my own friends reacted the way they did (I lost there friendship also)

when I became serious about my husband (morocco). However it has served as a sort of mixed blessing. I really only lost my most critical, judgemental, narowminded so called friends. The ones that hung in there with me, are quite facinated by my husband LOL, they love discussing his traditions and asking questions about his culture. He's good clean fun for them. My family try to impress him by trying to cook him his traditional meals and offering him mint tea :blush: which cracks me up because my mom will make him a tea bag version of "moroccan mint" tea and he always tells her how good it tastes. There all good sports. I hope it works out for you. Best wishes

Good point.... meaning that its thought of as a blessing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
give the link so we can see.. I do not think that is right

There is 'right' and there is 'policy'.

I've no interest in digging up the policy references.

This does get 'harder' though, when the clearance is 'higher' ...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I think it is irresponsible and misleading when someone tells an OP that the "law" says one thing definitively, then refuses to back up his words by providing a reference. It's better to say nothing. Street parlance says, "money talks, and bullsh!t walks."

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a DOD sercet Clearance. They do ask you to list any NON-USC. I had to put my Wife and step son. It will inculde if you live next to someone that is from say Iraq, but you do not know him or are not friends but you have to list him care you are in presence of a non usc.

I do not think they mean you have to sevare ties with someone that is a international couple.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I have a DOD sercet Clearance. They do ask you to list any NON-USC. I had to put my Wife and step son. It will inculde if you live next to someone that is from say Iraq, but you do not know him or are not friends but you have to list him care you are in presence of a non usc.

I do not think they mean you have to sevare ties with someone that is a international couple.

You have to list even if someone near you, related to you, or you know has a criminal background dont you? My ex had to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I also think this is BS. My BIL is an army special forces member with a high clearance. The only limitation is on him obtaining a presidential clearance - which is not an issue once my husband obtains his citizenship. Also I have a clearance and my marriage was not an issue...sounds like she might have got some skewed information.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Out of curiosity I looked it up... here is a link to CBP security requirements, question 5 refers to foreign nationals

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/apply/m...back_invest.xml

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

After reading through some other things I think there is a difference between someone who is a permanent resident and someone who lacks no standing (ie no verified background) in the US.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Reminds me of something I tell my daughter... no one on this earth has the power to hurt you unless you let them. Just remember that your most important and dont worry about what everyone else thinks. :thumbs: agreed

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My cousin has a very high security clearance; he designs satellite systems for the military. He is the son of a Palestinian immigrant, as am I the progeny of two Palestinian immigrants. I worked for Congress and have traveled in diplomatic circles for decades. I have a good friend with whom I've worked for the last two years who just started a job with the FBI a month ago, and we still hang out. While it's true that security requirements have tightened up, my belief is that some government newbies are being steered away from immigrants not so much out of policy, but as an extra measure of precaution.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

food for thought -

i've held a high level DOD security clearance for almost 30 years. i've had friendships with foreign nationals of varying countries off and on throughout that time frame. and oh btw, i'm married to a foreign national and had my periodic reinvestigation after our marriage and i still retained my clearance level.....

now what is taken into account is "close and continuing" friendship with these foreign nationals, to the point where one's loyalty to the usa becomes questionable. having a stellar reputation for loyalty to one's country overcomes the usual perception that accompanies one when they know a foreign national.

what is at issue here is this: the friend of the op claimed the country of origin for the op's husband has caused her to end their relationship. i'm finding it a bit difficult to believe that the nationality of a friend's spouse has bearing on someone holding or gaining a security clearance as the person isn't friends with the foreign born spouse, but the usc spouse.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Wow, everyday we learn something new.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.