R&AINC

Visa Interview gone wrong

74 posts in this topic

Hi Thank you for your post. This is way this place is very important. People understand each-other as we are all more or less in the same process. Did they also keep the passport for you?

No, they didn't keep my passport, but I've known them to do so for others who have gone through AP quickly (within two months). This particular thread is specifically for those entrenched in AP -- it might help to ask for advice there, too. I was on there for a while, and it helped me a great deal to know that we were all in the same boat.

Please heed the advice of the others on this thread; you have a great deal of support here! Minya's wife especially has some excellent advice; they haven't asked you for anything (in the same way they didn't ask me), and they also were waiting on additional information. The USCIS couldn't have possibly known of what myself and my Knight underwent to even get to the interview stage, but they're not standing behind you and witnessing whatever's unfolding in your life. Yes, we've all battled the long distance. Just hang on a little longer, because you will be with the person you love.

It's not a matter of them not preparing enough; sometimes things can't be set into motion until after the interview.

It'll be okay!

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please try to look on the bright side...... Don't say ''they are depriving me of my passport to keep you out of the USA'' Say... ''good, they have my passport, this could go well and everything will be fine'' Look at things positively and you will have a positive outcome.

I lived everyday in fear that SOMETHING would go wrong, and for SOME reason, i would never get my visa and wouldn't get to come back to my love. But i never gave up hope. as hard as it gets (and we all know how hard it gets) you can't loose sight of what all this struggle was for.

Its such a shame you had a bad experience at the interview. But be positive. I promise things will work out for you. :)

You are both in my thoughts. I wish you luck and best wishes that you get your passport back (visa included), very very soon <3

as1cEZt0g410000MDAyMzJzfDAwMDUzczh8V2VcJ3ZlIGJlZW4gbWFycmllZA.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
They just gave me a green paper and said that they do not know how long it will take. They also said" If i were you I would not book a flight yet" The only positive thing is that they kept my passport..... what a ###### day

IMHO you passed unless they find something in your background check. Keeping your passport is A+

keep positive.

we took 16 months and 'sh*t' but finally passed.

GOOD LUCK!

comicirsaudit.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
My friend, you need to calm the f***k down. Sorry to have to talk to you this way, but some people need a slap in the face every once in a while to wake them up. You have not been denied (not as of yet anyway). As everyone else hase stated before me, the fact that they kept your passport is a good sign.

Stop victimizing yourself. And by the way, don't blame the Consul for making your Fiance cry whe you told her the news. It was YOUR RESPONISIBILITY as a MAN to make her see that this is a good thing. If this is how you're going to act everytime you hit a bump in the road, I would hate to be the one by your side.

Couldnt agree with you more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs: The fact that they kept your passport is a good. Read the notice carefully. At first I thought this was a woman posting.

My friend, you need to calm the f***k down. Sorry to have to talk to you this way, but some people need a slap in the face every once in a while to wake them up. You have not been denied (not as of yet anyway). As everyone else hase stated before me, the fact that they kept your passport is a good sign.

Stop victimizing yourself. And by the way, don't blame the Consul for making your Fiance cry whe you told her the news. It was YOUR RESPONISIBILITY as a MAN to make her see that this is a good thing. If this is how you're going to act everytime you hit a bump in the road, I would hate to be the one by your side.

:thumbs: The fact that they kept your passport is a good. Read the notice carefully. At first I thought this was a woman posting.

S'cuse me mikedmaster? Sexist perspective much????

OP, Chill. Take a breath. Your disappointment is warranted and I have no idea what happened during that interview, but nobody is messing with you. Your taking this personally because this process is so close to everyone's hearts. But them keeping the passport is a good thing.

Hang in there.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

S'cuse me mikedmaster? Sexist perspective much????

OP, Chill. Take a breath. Your disappointment is warranted and I have no idea what happened during that interview, but nobody is messing with you. Your taking this personally because this process is so close to everyone's hearts. But them keeping the passport is a good thing.

Hang in there.

I was thinking the same thing about Mikedmaster's post :P it came across as very sexist, and I really hope he wasn't intending it to be.

But on topic, at first I was worried about people coming and messing with my case, or not wanting to let me in because they found something in my background. You do start imagining all kinds of insane, ridiculous things that might have gone wrong, because when something so personal is at stake (as Ellie, or David, said), it's hard not to see things that way. Try to keep things in perspective, and stay sane!

Magpie.

Magpie.

Edited by KnightAndMagpie

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thank you all for your support.

The reason that they kept the passport is good to a certain point.

The fact is that they may be depriving me from my passport for who knows how long. It will be for sure irresponsible, but maybe also illegal for them to keep my passport, which they do not have jurisdiction over.

Therefore I am thinking that they just wanted to be overcautious, but it was more a yes than a no so that is why they kept the passport.

I guess not everybody can....

Seems as though you do not actually know what is going on, hopefully your fiancee is not upset becasue you do not understand something. If they expect significant delays in issuing the visa they dso not keep the passport

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You are under AP buddy.I went to school in the US as well and was on F-1,graduated from CUNY.My interview was pretty rough also but i didn't mind questioning and answered all CO's questions with confidence and honestly.I was placed under AP and its been over 90 days now i was very happy when CO asked if he could keep my passport i said sure i aint going nowhere :) so fellow Vjer think positive and hang in there you will get ur passport in no time...Good Luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

sorry to hear that, but hang in there, it will end soon.....

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
You are under AP buddy.I went to school in the US as well and was on F-1,graduated from CUNY.My interview was pretty rough also but i didn't mind questioning and answered all CO's questions with confidence and honestly.I was placed under AP and its been over 90 days now i was very happy when CO asked if he could keep my passport i said sure i aint going nowhere :) so fellow Vjer think positive and hang in there you will get ur passport in no time...Good Luck.

I cannot afford to have my passport taken for 90 days. Due to my job and family(parents) I need to travel( I already know that once I am there I cannot trevel for about 3 months anyway). Seriously what comes comes and I think positive, but this does not change the fact.

You call it rogue. I call it disrespectful.

Good luck to you and I hope you get reunited with you loved one as soon as possible.

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Thank you all for your support.

The reason that they kept the passport is good to a certain point.

The fact is that they may be depriving me from my passport for who knows how long. It will be for sure irresponsible, but maybe also illegal for them to keep my passport, which they do not have jurisdiction over.

Therefore I am thinking that they just wanted to be overcautious, but it was more a yes than a no so that is why they kept the passport.

I guess not everybody can....

Seems as though you do not actually know what is going on, hopefully your fiancee is not upset becasue you do not understand something. If they expect significant delays in issuing the visa they dso not keep the passport

We use the same sign in name so I am sure she will read it later on. The thing is all based on expectation. Kids expect to get gifts on Christmas, as me and my fiancee expected to get the visa today. But we did not. So I call tell er the facts and she cries. As you say, I do not know what is happening and this is the problem.

The next post after yours said that they have held the passport for 90 days. For me that is a significant delay.

I understand your point, but I hope you understand mine.

Edited by R&AINC

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

The OP has reason to be disappointed about no instant visa. One wonders who suggested to him that a K-1 would be provided same-day?

In many ways, the USA is fair game for its critics on foreign policy, looking after its own middle class, and protecting the very rich. Someone planning to emigrate here is in no position to lash out at our government employees who are doing their jobs. Coming here with an attitude like that is, in my view, irresponsible.

OP, perhaps the consular officer was "disrespectful" toward you. I've certainly heard of this happening to others.

But I don't know how you conclude that their holding on to your passport is "disrespectful." They have procedures that need to be completed. They're doing their jobs. The fact that they held onto your passport means that they expect to be able to issue your visa in the not-too-distant future, which requires that your passport be in their possession.

Take my word as someone who was screwed at nearly every stage of this process: the process sucks. But seriously, unless you enjoy living life in a constant state of pissed-off-ness, you need to be more judicious about what you allow to offend you.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I cannot afford to have my passport taken for 90 days. Due to my job and family(parents) I need to travel( I already know that once I am there I cannot trevel for about 3 months anyway). Seriously what comes comes and I think positive, but this does not change the fact.

You call it rogue. I call it disrespectful.

Good luck to you and I hope you get reunited with you loved one as soon as possible.

well then, no problem. Just go back and ask for your passport. They cannot keep it if you do not want them to. What are you going to do for work for 90 days plus after you come to the USA and cannot work or travel throughout the AOS process?

Just curious. Seems with all the limitations YOU put on the process you would be better served by a CR-1 visa

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.