R&AINC

Visa Interview gone wrong

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

thanks again for the reply.

What it the DOS? that you mentioned to check the status? Thank you

Regarding being calm, I think I was too calm, because while I was almost called a liar, I was just saying yes mam, no mam'.....

I have lived in the United States, and I think is a country made of great people. I was there when 9/11 happened and I felt as it was my city and my country that were attacked. So I do not have anything about the US as people, but I have grown a bit of bitterness against this system which seems to penalize people who try to do things the right and legal way.

I also said that I do not want to talk about the details. But I can only say that it was not pleasant. At one point I had to show a document from the USCIS because the interviewer was saying that what I was saying was not true. When the interviewer saw this evidence (which I had previously sent together with other evidence), the interviewer just tried to find something else and imply that I was lying.

I am not a kid, I am an adult who has traveled around the world, and know and respect many cultures. I have hold positions as a manager and as subordinate. But even if I were a kid, who never went out out, and did not give a ###### about other cultures, I should have been treated with more respect.

Respect for the fact that I may eventually become a US citizen. Respect for the fact the a US citizen has applied in my behalf. Respect for the fact I am paying them. And finally, the most important, just respect because I am a human been like you and you and the interviewer and all of us are.

BUt the reason I am upset the most, is what I said before. Thinking about how hurt my love will feel if such thing were to happens, just makes my my brain and heart go in a spiral of anger, and sadness.

We just want to be together. So do we have to be consider weak, just because we want something that depends only on this system to happen???? I have read stories here of people that have lost their loved ones in accidents while waiting for their approval.... MY LOVE WAS IN AN ACCIDENT RECENTLY AND I WAS NOT THERE.. she is ok but .Do YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS? Why don't they ask this things in the interview?

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just gave me a green paper and said that they do not know how long it will take. They also said" If i were you I would not book a flight yet" The only positive thing is that they kept my passport..... what a ###### day

What exactly does the green paper say?

I agree w/ those above....this doesn't sound like a denial. If so, your passport would have been given back to you. This sounds like some sort of AP/AR. Have your fiancee contact the consulate via e-mail or phone to inquire about the outcome of your interview.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

agree with the others who responded, hang in there, they keep your passport to put the visa in, it's a good thing.

The Lord is my strength and my shield,

My heart trusted in Him and I am helped,

therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

and with my song I will praise Him.

Psalm 28:7

I also said that I do not want to talk about the details. But I can only say that it was not pleasant. At one point I had to show a document from the USCIS because the interviewer was saying that what I was saying was not true. When the interviewer saw this evidence (which I had previously sent together with other evidence), the interviewer just tried to find something else and imply that I was lying.

DOS =Department of State.

That you do not want to share details of your interview is your prerogative, but the CO is asking questions based on evidence he/she has in front of him. Meaning the I-129F paperwork. That some portions may have gotten misplaced is a possibility, which is why it is always advisable to make extra copies before the USC fiance(e) mails the I-129F out and have those with you at the time of the interview. In this instance the CO is not there to 'respect' the rights of the foreign beneficiary...he/she is there to 'protect' the petitioning US citizen. As such, it is the job of CO's to make sure that you as the potential beneficiary of a K-1 visa, is not looking to commit immigration fraud. It is nothing personal...and the CO could care less that you've lived here previously and paid taxes and all that jazz. He/she simply has a file in front of him, which contains a USCIS approved visa petition. His job is to verify that visa recipient is eligible to receive the K-1 visa.

Please try to remove the emotion and think analyze your interview rationally to understand what would have caused the CO to hold back on immediately approving your visa application.

Good luck.

As others have said, you've been put into AP -- you haven't been outright denied!

Many of us also know that it's very painful to be put in AP when you just want to go and be with the person you love. It feels like it's stretching forever, with no end in sight. Understandably, you're angry, because you've been accused of lying -- but you have to also remember that the Consulate has applicants who come in and do lie. It makes things unpleasant for the rest of us. While it doesn't feel fair, the system is there because it seems to work (I hope), but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for those of us who want to do things right, and who have no qualms with the US. I, for one, know that I love it as if it were my own homeland, which it's come to feel like.

Coincidentally, on the day I was issued AP and was in tears, my fiance was in an accident on the last day of Alaska snow in Anchorage. It's a miracle he came out in one piece, considering the way the front of his poor truck looks. I thought I was going to go mad, wondering what else could happen while I was being kept from him. I was still finishing my degree, preparing for my final exams, but just knowing that I had the visa and that I could fly to him was all that mattered. In the end, it worked out for the better -- the timing of when I had things shipped out, and for when I booked my flight tickets, was perfect. I reflect on how it all fell into place, and it helps, though I know it's difficult to try and see the good in what's happened now to you.

Be assured that they're just verifying information which they can't double-check immediately. They kept your passport so they can't be keeping you in AP long. Italy, I believe, is not one of the countries where AP lasts for as long as it does in others. I was in and out in less than a month (but it was a month by the time I got the letter). I also felt upset because I'd made such an effort to avoid it (I only have a copy of my birth certificate for personal reasons), and I even had a letter from the police explaining my circumstances. It felt like they were questioning my integrity and honesty, but I'm guessing they were just double-checking things with the police. They just want to ensure that it's safe to let you immigrate. It's nothing against you personally, but it's part of the protocol which they follow. Things will happen! Just keep breathing. Is it possible you can quote what it said on the green paper?

It WILL be okay. Regarding DOS, Department of State, give them a call now and then. I used Skype to do it because it was a lot cheaper for me calling from Skype than on my phone.

Keep your chin up! It'll turn out fine.

Magpie.

Edited by KnightAndMagpie

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

your process from start to interview was relatively fast. The consul may have some addition document verifications to do since you went through USCIS quickly. You also said that you had "additional documents" that you had to present because of your time in the US. I would venture to say that they need to VERIFY those before just handing over the visa. Maybe she didnt ask you about your relationship because she had to focus on the validity of all of the additional docs you submitted.

You said you didnt want to go into details but the CO was pretty sh1tty to you. That sucks and Im sure you feel a number of negative feelings right now. Focus on the positive.

They kept your passport, which IS a good sign(this is common knowledge in the countries where AP is likely). Let them do their job, DO check back with them in a week and DO call DOS for updates.

editted to say: do call your girl and let her knwo that you werent denied and you are in a common process here.

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

That you do not want to share details of your interview is your prerogative, but the CO is asking questions based on evidence he/she has in front of him. Meaning the I-129F paperwork. That some portions may have gotten misplaced is a possibility, which is why it is always advisable to make extra copies before the USC fiance(e) mails the I-129F out and have those with you at the time of the interview. In this instance the CO is not there to 'respect' the rights of the foreign beneficiary...he/she is there to 'protect' the petitioning US citizen. As such, it is the job of CO's to make sure that you as the potential beneficiary of a K-1 visa, is not looking to commit immigration fraud. It is nothing personal...and the CO could care less that you've lived here previously and paid taxes and all that jazz. He/she simply has a file in front of him, which contains a USCIS approved visa petition. His job is to verify that visa recipient is eligible to receive the K-1 visa.

Please try to remove the emotion and think analyze your interview rationally to understand what would have caused the CO to hold back on immediately approving your visa application.

Good luck.

I do not completely agrees with you. Because of this thing, entires countries have lived in the dark ages the past century(and there are still countries that are or will become like this) We cannot just agree because that is the way it is? What if the way it is is wrong???

They are doing their job...Yes I agree with you. But if they were really doing their job, they should have prepared for the interview as well. They are employees too, and I agree they should do their job. But please do it right. If they indeed find something I ddi wrong, and they deny me, then I am fine with that,.But if I am denied or put in ap because a person cannot read a piece of paper from their own company (in this case immigration), then I get emotional and pissed.

NEvertheless, I just hope I am overreacting. But thanks to all, because it helps to talk on here.

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Timeline
As others have said, you've been put into AP -- you haven't been outright denied!

Many of us also know that it's very painful to be put in AP when you just want to go and be with the person you love. It feels like it's stretching forever, with no end in sight. Understandably, you're angry, because you've been accused of lying -- but you have to also remember that the Consulate has applicants who come in and do lie. It makes things unpleasant for the rest of us. While it doesn't feel fair, the system is there because it seems to work (I hope), but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for those of us who want to do things right, and who have no qualms with the US. I, for one, know that I love it as if it were my own homeland, which it's come to feel like.

Coincidentally, on the day I was issued AP and was in tears, my fiance was in an accident on the last day of Alaska snow in Anchorage. It's a miracle he came out in one piece, considering the way the front of his poor truck looks. I thought I was going to go mad, wondering what else could happen while I was being kept from him. I was still finishing my degree, preparing for my final exams, but just knowing that I had the visa and that I could fly to him was all that mattered. In the end, it worked out for the better -- the timing of when I had things shipped out, and for when I booked my flight tickets, was perfect. I reflect on how it all fell into place, and it helps, though I know it's difficult to try and see the good in what's happened now to you.

Be assured that they're just verifying information which they can't double-check immediately. They kept your passport so they can't be keeping you in AP long. Italy, I believe, is not one of the countries where AP lasts for as long as it does in others. I was in and out in less than a month (but it was a month by the time I got the letter). I also felt upset because I'd made such an effort to avoid it (I only have a copy of my birth certificate for personal reasons), and I even had a letter from the police explaining my circumstances. It felt like they were questioning my integrity and honesty, but I'm guessing they were just double-checking things with the police. They just want to ensure that it's safe to let you immigrate. It's nothing against you personally, but it's part of the protocol which they follow. Things will happen! Just keep breathing. Is it possible you can quote what it said on the green paper?

It WILL be okay. Regarding DOS, Department of State, give them a call now and then. I used Skype to do it because it was a lot cheaper for me calling from Skype than on my phone.

Keep your chin up! It'll turn out fine.

Magpie.

Hi Thank you for your post. This is way this place is very important. People understand each-other as we are all more or less in the same process. Did they also keep the passport for you?

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

In My Opinion - wait a few days - then have the United States Citizen call the Department Of State call center, ask for status.

Ask for CURRENT STATUS, with the date/time stamp, AND

the last 3 status items, with the date/time stamps, as well.

It smells like they weren't through with the namecheck.

the DOS call center shares data with all of the embassies/consulates - so whatever the consulate put in their terminal, it will show up at the DOS call center, sometimes 1 to 3 days later.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Come back in some days with good news ;) every thing's gonna be ok! Don't worry!

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Good luck.

I do not completely agrees with you. Because of this thing, entires countries have lived in the dark ages the past century(and there are still countries that are or will become like this) We cannot just agree because that is the way it is? What if the way it is is wrong???

Huh? What thing, what cannot we just agree with?

They are doing their job...Yes I agree with you. But if they were really doing their job, they should have prepared for the interview as well. They are employees too, and I agree they should do their job. But please do it right. If they indeed find something I ddi wrong, and they deny me, then I am fine with that,.But if I am denied or put in ap because a person cannot read a piece of paper from their own company (in this case immigration), then I get emotional and pissed.

It is not 'their own company'. USCIS is part of Dept. of Homeland Security and the Embassies/Consulates are part of the Deptartment of State. Two different parts of the governement and they classically suffer from "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" syndrome.

NEvertheless, I just hope I am overreacting. But thanks to all, because it helps to talk on here.

While I agree with you that they are there to do a job, and should do it well, what I'm trying to tell you is to loose your sense of entitlement....you have none as far as the Consulate (and by extension the US government) is beholden to you, a foreign citizen. It is beholden to its own citizens. That is the same in any other country, as far as I know. That is why it is suggested that your fiancee contact the consulate, and inquire as to the status.

You also did not answer my question....what was stated on the green paper you said you received at the conclusion of the interview?

Timeline

Good luck.

Huh? What thing, what cannot we just agree with?

It is not 'their own company'. USCIS is part of Dept. of Homeland Security and the Embassies/Consulates are part of the Deptartment of State. Two different parts of the governement and they classically suffer from "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" syndrome.

While I agree with you that they are there to do a job, and should do it well, what I'm trying to tell you is to loose your sense of entitlement....you have none as far as the Consulate (and by extension the US government) is beholden to you, a foreign citizen. It is beholden to its own citizens. That is the same in any other country, as far as I know. That is why it is suggested that your fiancee contact the consulate, and inquire as to the status.

You also did not answer my question....what was stated on the green paper you said you received at the conclusion of the interview?

As I am not above the law, they should not be either. As soon as they walk out of that building they are people like you and me. SO regardless of what entitlement I may have or not, I think they should respect people. I am not a dog trying to get adopted.(Nevertheless in the past week I had to get 4 vaccinations maybe I will not even make to next week with all this viruses I have taken in my body :))

the paper says that when they receive all the documents they will send the visa. But none of the documents listed on the paper have a check-marks.

You know, in the back of my mind, I even think, well what if they were just bored and they wanted to mess with me. And in one week I will just get the visa....That could also be but regardless, It is pretty disappointing to wait 9 months for this day and then get this backhand in the face.

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
the paper says that when they receive all the documents they will send the visa. But none of the documents listed on the paper have a check-marks.

Then the namechecks are not complete.

You are lucky, they are not asking for additional stuff.

In the meantime - talk with your USC FIANCEE - ask her to CALL the DOS Call Center, and ask for status in 3 days.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You fiancee should contact them, explain what your slip says and kindly ask what they need in order to complete the application. Even if they dont need anything, this is a good opportunity for her to hopefully get an answer of what to expect.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

As I am not above the law, they should not be either. As soon as they walk out of that building they are people like you and me. SO regardless of what entitlement I may have or not, I think they should respect people. I am not a dog trying to get adopted.(Nevertheless in the past week I had to get 4 vaccinations maybe I will not even make to next week with all this viruses I have taken in my body :) )

You know, in the back of my mind, I even think, well what if they were just bored and they wanted to mess with me. And in one week I will just get the visa....That could also be but regardless, It is pretty disappointing to wait 9 months for this day and then get this backhand in the face.

I hate to split hairs with you, but you were on Consulate grounds, therefore technically you were on US soil....beholden to the laws of the USA. And in a way you are trying to get adopted. You are asking for a visa that will allow you to come here, marry and settle in the US...in otherwords to come here and adopt/be adopted by the US.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time....my fiancee actually had a similiar experience...and I understand that it can be very frustrating to not know the outcome. It makes you feel like you've been treated prejudicially. I was just offering a different perspective... It sounds like you have received a 221g refusal...which means you're in administrative processing.

What is 221(g)? Applicants are ineligible under section 221(g) because the applicant failed to bring some information or document, or some further procedure or review by the consulate office or another U.S. government agency must be completed. During the interview the consular will advise you on further steps to getting together the correct documents. Call or visit your nearest US consulate to find out more.

I would let a few days pass, and I would definitely contact the consulate. DOS may be an option, but direct contact w/ the consulate is the clearest route, IMO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.