Pinto Pony

Tipping Etiquette

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I tend to tip partly on %, but more on the service. For example, There is a great little breakfast place I like, my bill is always only around $7, but I almost ALWAYS have wonderful, attentive service. I will EASILY tip 50% or more. Likewise, I have had $40 meals where I felt the service was minimal, I have no problem tipping about the same $ amount (which would be only 10% in this case).

With the salon, I think it is the same. A lot of hairdressers pay for the chairs in the salon by the day/week/month. I figure if I like the service, I will pay for time spent there. I have FINALLY found a fabulous person here in Orlando (after 12 years of living here). This is at a somewhat inexpensive salon ($35 haircuts). I have extremely straight, baby fine hair that I have cut into a bob. This lady books multiple time slots for me and literally spends an hour (sometimes more) on just the cut (+ shampoo time). I tip her $25. The $60 total is still less than many local salons charge for just a cut anyway (my justification to myself)! I know the good tips will ensure future fabulous do's!

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

ok, having waitressed or bartended through highschool and college, I ALWAYS tip 20% minimum at bars/restaurants-unless the service is really bad. Bartending, I especially hated when a group of people ordered really complex, time consuming drinks on busy nights that cost $8-15, all paid with a seperate debit card (which took tons of time away from other customers), then tipped 50 cents-$1.00. As a bartender I got paid about $5/hour, but waitressing I received only $3.23 an hour.

I do agree that tipping is completely out of control and that it should be a reward and not expected. However, until ALL states start enforcing a better minimum wage, you really can't try to prove a point and set an example. Check out what the minimum wage for servers is in your state-if it's $8+, I guess I wouldn't feel so bad about leaving 15% or less depending on service. If it's a low wage, though, keep in mind that the tip is what is keeping a roof over their heads and food on their tables.

Edited by attaya_girl

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
For food delivery, bartenders, hair stylists, taxi drivers, bellman... I generally tip $2 with more only if they've really gone out of their way (food delivery at a weird location or a huge order, taxi rode me for a long ride, etc). Seriously, these people do get paid a wage, and unlike waitstaff they're paid at least minimum wage. So I don't see any reason to go crazy on tipping unless they dazzle.

Hotel housekeepers shouldn't receive a tip as a standard. If you choose to tip, it should be because they gave extra services at your request (e.g. turn down service) or you (or your children) were pigs and she cleaned up after you.

I'm more with you on tipping. Delivery of food gets $2 from me. I don't tip hotel housekeepers in America, but where I stay in Jamaica, I do. I know they get paid about $1.33/hr and a $5 to $10 tip means a ton to them and not as much to me. That's probably why the housekeeper seems so happy to see me every time I go back to that hotel.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In the USA, people have got into the (bad) habit of expecting tips for just anything. A tip should be a reward for outstanding service, and not a habit just for doing your job. My thoughts in each category below ...

Tipping in the U.S. is a jungle. When in doubt I will usually ask my husband. Here are some of the rules my husband and I follow (we are generous tippers - at least according to him).

15 to 18% for servers, and only because they don't earn a normal wage. Never more than 20%. And if they include gratuity on the bill without asking, I don't leave anything else and I never go back to such restaurant. I think that it is rude to decide the tip for the customer.

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15-20% of the bill, based on the quality of service. If service is horrible 10% (or a penny on the table to show that you didn't forget). Note that gratuity can be included in the tab for parties of 6 or more.

Counter service/fast food restaurants:No need to tip.

Pick up foods, never tip.

Pick up food: No need to tip if it's a drive through, otherwise $2-$3 (most people don't tip this at all).

Don't know what you mean with buffet servers, but in a restaurant, the same as above.

Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head.

Food delivery: $5.00 minimum.

Bartenders: $1 - $2 per drink, or 15-20% of the total bill as a general rule but it is not quite that easy. If a crowded place where it's hard to get a hold of the bartender - no need to tip or tip change. If on "my" local regular pub the tips are not based on a formula. Usually the amount of drinks on the tab does not reflect the amount of drinks that were consumed. For every free drink I tip 50% of the list price of the drink. In this case the tip HAS TO BE in cash and cash only. If the tab is $30 and the tip is $15 on a credit card it is a potential red flag for management and the bartender might not be there the next day.

Housekeepers are paid to do their jobs. Therefore, no tips. If you knew what they do some times, you would never tip.

Hotel housekeeping: $2-3 per night up to $5, more in high-end hotels. Leave the tip on your pillow each day when you leave the room. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Carry your own bags and you won't have to think about it. Maximum $2 if the force you to use the bellboy.

Bellman/porter: $1-2 per bag, minimum $2 even if only one bag.

Taxi drivers are generally rude and don't even get out to help you get the bags out of the trunk. Maximum 10%, if they are friendly during the ride.

Taxi Driver: 10-15% with an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.

I don't let anybody drive my car. There are two things nobody touches: my girl and my car (except the doctor of each case)

Valet Parkers: $2 - $5 (when picking up car).

Hairdresser/manicurist: 10% - 20%. $2 to the person doing the shampooing if it's not the hairdresser.

Drycleaning: No need to tip. If you have a personal relationship with them a Christmas gift is appreciated.

Christmas time is an extra addition to the confusion. Around Christmas tip those who serve you all year long and with whom you have a personal relationship. Here are a few examples.

Don't have a personal relationship with a mail carrier.

- USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly. (Remember, this is the person who will deliver your green card to you. :innocent: ).

- Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more

- Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more

Btw. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to once again read up on the tipping madness here. After 2 years I am still confused. :blink:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hate tipping and it's mainly common in the US so companies can make a larger profit while passing the cost onto consumers. I feel like I will get mobbed if I don't tip, and unless you impress me I will keep my tips very very low. The only place I will keep my tips in thought is if I am a regular and my non-tips will lead to bad customer service, such as where I get my hair cuts.

I hate tipping and it's mainly common in the US so companies can make a larger profit while passing the cost onto consumers. I feel like I will get mobbed if I don't tip, and unless you impress me I will keep my tips very very low. The only place I will keep my tips in thought is if I am a regular and my non-tips will lead to bad customer service, such as where I get my hair cuts.

My Fiance: GuardianAngel

K-1 Visa Timeline:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent: July 23, 2009

Check Cashed: July 29, 2009

NOA1: July 28, 2009

NOA2: October 21, 2009

Left NVC: October 28, 2009

Medical Passed: December 15/16, 2009

Interview Passed: January 19th, 2010

Air21 Confirmation: January 25, 2010

Visa received: January 26, 2010

CFO Completed: January 27th, 2010

Flight to US: Febuary 3rd, 2010

MARRIED!: March 20th, 2010

AOS Timeline:

AOS, EAD, AP Filed: April 29, 2010

AOS, EAD, AP NOA1: May 6th, 2010

EAD, AP Biometrics: May 25th, 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If I go to one of those 'gentleman' clubs.. what is the standard tipping practice? How much and how to deliver the tip?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I tip cows, si man.

that's tilt, my friend.

Not where I am from!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

Edited by Emily and Gareth

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i only tip if i get good service. if someone just comes and takes my order and i dont see them again until they bring the bill, forget it, ur getting nothing.

as for the beauty parlors...if they dont improve im never tipping again. my god all i usually get is a trim straight across the bottom and i come home and its usually slanting down hill and i have to have it evened up again. they couldnt even cut my bangs straight. i bring books and show them how i want my hair cut and it never looks like the book. they cut it how they want to cut it. im done with tipping them.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Don't know what you mean with buffet servers, but in a restaurant, the same as above.

Buffet server = Waiter serving you drinks at a buffet place.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I was pretty clueless about tipping (ok, COMPLETELY clueless!) when I was on my au pair year. First week there I got taken out to get a manicure and the salon owner chased me out of the store because I didn't realize I was supposed to tip!

After I got the hang of it I would just play it by ear. The only people I would tip were taxi drivers (I only ever caught a taxi in Manhattan, from Grand Central to Penn Station which was a $6 trip and I would give them a $10 - I was always in a rush to catch a train so it was easier!), pizza delivery guy, hair dresser, and in restaurants. Since my host parents paid for gas, I always got the "full" service at the gas station - ie, they came and filled my car for me and I'd pay with their credit card - I don't remember ever tipping the poor guys who filled up for me but it was never a problem.

Most of the time when I'm in a situation where I'd need to tip I'm with Jesse anyway, so I either leave it up to him or ask if I'm not sure.

It is really very strange for us Aussies though - our culture is so similar to Americans, and yet tips are such a foreign idea for us - my waiter friends in NY always complain to me when they get a table of Aussies who either leave nothing or only a couple of dollars and I have to explain that we just don't get it!

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Don't forget to tip your Dish Network or Direct TV tech...a $20 tip is always welcomed!!! When I don't get a tip from a cx I never leave them my phone number for problems or questions...that will teach 'em, see how they like being on the phone talking to someone from India or the Philippines after being on hold for 20 minutes and waiting 3-4 days for me to be dispatched out for the service issue!!!!

So you are saying the monthly lease fee for the equipment, plus the monthly maintenance fee I pay to fix the equipment I lease to receive their service is not enough already!

I think giving the satellite company over a $1,000 bucks a year should be enough to keep my equipment in good condition.

:angry: Sorry, I just think a company should be the one to pay its employees. :angry:

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know I'm a few months late on this but I have to say as a Hairstylist, you should definitely tip 15% to 20%, we make less per hour then the person who brought your food and have less volume of customers per hour. If you feel that you and your stylist understand each other and they did everything in there power to create what you want or are working towards it and you feel great walking out, they deserve more then the $6 or $9 per hour we get.

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.