Pinto Pony

Tipping Etiquette

74 posts in this topic

So now I am living here in the USA permanently I am coming across a few things I have never done before like going to a hair salon for the dreaded restyle that is long overdue. I am a little worried about how I tip someone like a hairdresser. If I pay credit do I just add it to my total or do I need to pay cash and hand it over to the hairdresser? How much do I tip, a percentage or a flat amount for each thing I have done while I am there?

Also do I tip for dry cleaning? I need to pick some up for the first time tomorrow, do I just pay the bill without a tip or leave a tip for their service?

I have tipped in restaurants before is it just the same? Help me! Also any other "tipping etiquette" I should know? I googled for tips but find conflicting info and my husband is not being very helpful when it comes to a hairdresser :wacko:

Edited by Pinto Pony

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Do not tip for dry cleaning.

You should ALWAYS tip at restaurants. Often the wait staff have low hourly salaries and often have to share tips with the bussing staff, so the tips are really important.

And its customary to tip for personal services (hair dresser, manicurist, wax, etc.) if you feel that the person did a good job and you are pleased. You can usually pay with credit card and just add the tip when you sign the receipt (like at restaurants), but some places don't give you the option to tip on the receipt. For your first visit, I would bring cash, see how they handle it and if you like their service you know what to do next time. For personal services I don't believe tipping is based on percents. I could be wrong, but I always think of percents (in terms of minimum amount of tips at restaurants) but never for personal services.

So now I am living here in the USA permanently I am coming across a few things I have never done before like going to a hair salon for the dreaded restyle that is long overdue. I am a little worried about how I tip someone like a hairdresser. If I pay credit do I just add it to my total or do I need to pay cash and hand it over to the hairdresser? How much do I tip, a percentage or a flat amount for each thing I have done while I am there?

Depends how they do it.. they might give you a receipt which allows you to add the tip at the end (like you do at a restaurant), or if it's like the salon I'm going to now they tell me how much the service cost, I tell them to add $xx for the tip and they simply charge the full amount to my credit card.

oh and I tip around 20% (tax is 9% so I just double it and add a little more)

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

oh and I tip around 20% (tax is 9% so I just double it and add a little more)

You are more generous than I am. Tipping in the US has gotten out of hand. I forgot how much so until I returned to the US last year.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Tipping in the U.S. is a jungle. When in doubt I will usually ask my husband. Here are some of the rules my husband and I follow (we are generous tippers - at least according to him).

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15-20% of the bill, based on the quality of service. If service is horrible 10% (or a penny on the table to show that you didn't forget). Note that gratuity can be included in the tab for parties of 6 or more.

Counter service/fast food restaurants:No need to tip.

Pick up food: No need to tip if it's a drive through, otherwise $2-$3 (most people don't tip this at all).

Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head.

Food delivery: $5.00 minimum.

Bartenders: $1 - $2 per drink, or 15-20% of the total bill as a general rule but it is not quite that easy. If a crowded place where it's hard to get a hold of the bartender - no need to tip or tip change. If on "my" local regular pub the tips are not based on a formula. Usually the amount of drinks on the tab does not reflect the amount of drinks that were consumed. For every free drink I tip 50% of the list price of the drink. In this case the tip HAS TO BE in cash and cash only. If the tab is $30 and the tip is $15 on a credit card it is a potential red flag for management and the bartender might not be there the next day.

Hotel housekeeping: $2-3 per night up to $5, more in high-end hotels. Leave the tip on your pillow each day when you leave the room. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Bellman/porter: $1-2 per bag, minimum $2 even if only one bag.

Taxi Driver: 10-15% with an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.

Valet Parkers: $2 - $5 (when picking up car).

Hairdresser/manicurist: 10% - 20%. $2 to the person doing the shampooing if it's not the hairdresser.

Drycleaning: No need to tip. If you have a personal relationship with them a Christmas gift is appreciated.

Christmas time is an extra addition to the confusion. Around Christmas tip those who serve you all year long and with whom you have a personal relationship. Here are a few examples.

- USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly. (Remember, this is the person who will deliver your green card to you. :innocent: ).

- Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more

- Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more

Btw. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to once again read up on the tipping madness here. After 2 years I am still confused. :blink:

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Keep in mind some salons don't take debit/credit for tips. I went to get my nails done last week for the first time here, I had no cash. I was able to pay debit for the service, but no tip! And there was no ATM around either, so I didn't get to tip her, I wanted to and felt bad. Always bring cash just in case!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Tipping in the U.S. is a jungle. When in doubt I will usually ask my husband. Here are some of the rules my husband and I follow (we are generous tippers - at least according to him).

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15-20% of the bill, based on the quality of service. If service is horrible 10% (or a penny on the table to show that you didn't forget). Note that gratuity can be included in the tab for parties of 6 or more.

Counter service/fast food restaurants:No need to tip.

Pick up food: No need to tip if it's a drive through, otherwise $2-$3 (most people don't tip this at all).

Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head.

Food delivery: $5.00 minimum.

Bartenders: $1 - $2 per drink, or 15-20% of the total bill as a general rule but it is not quite that easy. If a crowded place where it's hard to get a hold of the bartender - no need to tip or tip change. If on "my" local regular pub the tips are not based on a formula. Usually the amount of drinks on the tab does not reflect the amount of drinks that were consumed. For every free drink I tip 50% of the list price of the drink. In this case the tip HAS TO BE in cash and cash only. If the tab is $30 and the tip is $15 on a credit card it is a potential red flag for management and the bartender might not be there the next day.

Hotel housekeeping: $2-3 per night up to $5, more in high-end hotels. Leave the tip on your pillow each day when you leave the room. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Bellman/porter: $1-2 per bag, minimum $2 even if only one bag.

Taxi Driver: 10-15% with an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.

Valet Parkers: $2 - $5 (when picking up car).

Hairdresser/manicurist: 10% - 20%. $2 to the person doing the shampooing if it's not the hairdresser.

Drycleaning: No need to tip. If you have a personal relationship with them a Christmas gift is appreciated.

Christmas time is an extra addition to the confusion. Around Christmas tip those who serve you all year long and with whom you have a personal relationship. Here are a few examples.

- USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly. (Remember, this is the person who will deliver your green card to you. :innocent: ).

- Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more

- Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more

Btw. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to once again read up on the tipping madness here. After 2 years I am still confused. :blink:

I (the USC) don't tip nearly as much as you suggest. Restaurants the standard is still 15%, and if I linger a long time and they continue service I'll be more generous and give less if they screw up repeatedly.

For food delivery, bartenders, hair stylists, taxi drivers, bellman... I generally tip $2 with more only if they've really gone out of their way (food delivery at a weird location or a huge order, taxi rode me for a long ride, etc). Seriously, these people do get paid a wage, and unlike waitstaff they're paid at least minimum wage. So I don't see any reason to go crazy on tipping unless they dazzle.

Hotel housekeepers shouldn't receive a tip as a standard. If you choose to tip, it should be because they gave extra services at your request (e.g. turn down service) or you (or your children) were pigs and she cleaned up after you.

And sorry, your mail carrier doesn't need a Christmas gift... that's just weird IMO.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

I do believe there's different tipping standards depending on which meal you have gone out for.

From what I've been told, you tip 10% at lunch and 15% at dinner. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess because the dinner rush is bigger and longer than the lunch rush, and they have more to do during the dinner one.

I do tip for breakfast, around 10% as well.

Interestingly in Canada, the only place I tip is restaurants.

I don't think anyone really expects tips here unless you're in a restaurant.

I have tipped a hairstylist before, but that's because it took forever for my hair to bleach back to normal.

I don't tip the pizza delivery guy, they're already charging me 5 bucks for the delivery...

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I tip cows, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
And sorry, your mail carrier doesn't need a Christmas gift... that's just weird IMO.

We have never given one to him but my husband (USC) wanted to last year since we had a lot of important letters from USCIS and packages from Sweden sent to us during the year.

At my hairsalon they definitely expect a tip, they even provide little envelopes especially for the tip. :blink:

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

At my hairsalon they definitely expect a tip, they even provide little envelopes especially for the tip. :blink:

Interesting.

I've only been to a hairsalon once, and it let me tip through my bank card, which was cool.

What I think is weird is that the "Mr. Sub" (A Canadian submarine sandwich company) in my area has a tipping option for bank cards.

:blink:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Also do I tip for dry cleaning? I need to pick some up for the first time tomorrow, do I just pay the bill without a tip or leave a tip for their service?

I have tipped in restaurants before is it just the same? Help me! Also any other "tipping etiquette" I should know? I googled for tips but find conflicting info and my husband is not being very helpful when it comes to a hairdresser :wacko:

Here is a link from CNN Money.com on Tipping...their source was Emily Post...I hope this helps.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:35DWpO...=clnk&gl=us

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you should tip a delivery person (like pizza), after all the delivery charge isn't going into their pocket it goes to the restaurant.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Wow! Helena, that is quiet a list. Thats pretty much the things and amounts that my family tips. I want to add airline curb-check in. I think they're less common/used since 9/11. The people at the curve are not paid the same as the people inside at the airline counter. I tip $5 when I check in at the curb. I do not tip if I check in inside at the counter.

My mom has always tipped our mail carrier (UPS & FedEx- she orders a lot of stuff by mail!). She usually gets them gift certificates. She does the same for the nurse that visits my grandma every week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.