Leedah

Husband Got Arrested

121 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Sad to be posting here...

My husband was arrested today and has a charge of aggravated assault/felony.

(we got into a stupid argument).

Police took his passport too.

He has no bond as of yet.

Any one know what could happen or if he could be deported? He just got into the U.S.

Edited by Leedah

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one know what could happen or if he could be deported? He just got into the U.S.

Read this. http://www.immigrantdefenseproject.org/web...s/aggFelony.htm

Has USCIS stepped in yet over the arrest? I googled this site. I hope it helps.

I suggest getting a immigration lawyer. I presume you did not press charges. But USCIS may get involved now.

Im so sorry to hear this. Good luck Hon. Try this one also. http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-a-gr...ony--11538.html Again Im sorry your goiing thru this.

Edited by Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

I have an idea of what will happen. I'm sort of on the other side of things. Two months ago, someone broke into my house and tried to assault me while I was sleeping in my bedroom. My husband had fallen asleep downstairs on the couch, and the guy who broke in walked right past him to get to our bedroom.

Anyway, long story short, he didn't succeed in assaulting me. I fought back and he got scared and tried to run away. I tried to wrestle with him to keep him in the house and almost succeeded, but he managed to wrench away from me and run out our front door. My husband ran after him and followed him down the street at a distance. About that point, the police showed up. My husband showed the police where he'd gone (into a nearby house), and they pretty much just went in, got him out of there, and arrested him. He is now in jail; his court date is tomorrow, actually. He was charged with burglary with intent to commit sexual assault, which is a felony charge. I suspected he was an illegal immigrant (he didn't speak much English), so I asked the detective in charge of my case to please run him through the ICE database, and he did so and confirmed with me that the guy was an illegal immigrant.

I've been following his case pretty closely and asked the police and even asked an immigration attorney about what is going to happen to the guy. It boils down to this: If convicted, he will serve his sentence in the U.S. and then will be placed in removal proceedings. Once deported, he will be a free man in his country of origin.

I suspect your husband will be in a similar situation--he will be in jail until his trial date, and if he's convicted, he'll serve a sentence in the U.S., then be placed in removal proceedings. He will be free once he is returned to his country of origin. Felony charges are taken very seriously. His chances of being allowed back into the U.S., spouse or not, are next to zero.

If you are the victim in this case (which it sounds like you are), you'll receive a victims' statement form in the mail to fill out. The charges pressed against your husband are being pressed by the state. So far as bond goes--if you want to go that route--most jail systems have a Web site that gives you information on how to post bail. Try looking up your county jail on google.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Please please please remember that none of this is your fault; do NOT blame yourself. Your husband, I'm sorry to say, made a choice to lash out and act inappropriately, and he now has to face the reprecussions of his actions.

The really sad part about these types of situations is that in the end, we all end up losing something. I was so frightened that I couldn't even walk outside by myself for several weeks; my husband had to accompany me everywhere. But ultimately, I ended up a much, much stronger person as a result of the situation, and I know what I'm made of now. I've healed, and you will, too. (F)

Edited by CaptainRubyHeart

September 2002 Met online

April 9, 2003 Started dating online

July 2, 2004 Met in person

July 17, 2005 Engaged one beautiful summer night in Campbell River, BC, Canada!

June 28, 2007 I-129F sent

November 29, 2007 First NOA received

December 28, 2007 Second NOA received

January 25, 2008 Interview appointment received

March 17, 2008 Interview passed!

March 18, 2008 K-1 visa received

June 5, 2008 Fiance moved to U.S.

August 9, 2008 Married!

September 8, 2008 I-485 and I-765 sent

October 10, 2008 Biometrics appointment

December 1, 2008 EAD received in mail

March 9, 2009 Green card received in mail

December 10, 2010 I-751 filed

April 3, 2011 I-751 approved, conditions lifted from green card

October 11, 2011 Filed for divorce

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you husband will most likely get a trial date or the charges could be dropped if there isn't enough evidence (basically, even if you don't press charges, the state will if there are marks on you or if someone else saw what happened). he is a green card holder, so he won't get deported immed. he might not at all. i don't know what really happens if he does serve time or gets a deferred sentence. but i'm pretty sure criminal record will come up when its time to do removal of conditions. once he gets out, speak to a lawyer about his options.

Edited by wowswift

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

im sorry....but DAMN :(

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Blessing in disguise?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry to hear this news Leedah,

I was following your case on the african-sub forum.

I hope things work out for th both of you!

I130

September 6, 2007-Sent I130

January 18, 2008-NOA1

February 24, 2008-Touched

April 14 & 15-Touched-RFE trick

May 23, 2008-Aproved!!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday)

May 31st-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

I29F

February 18TH, 2008-NOA1

February 24TH, 2008-Touched

April, 14TH & 15TH-RFE trick

May 22, May 23rd -Touch, Touch

May 23-Approved!!!!!!! (Thanks to the MAN above)

May 26, 2008-Touched (Holiday!)

May 31ST-Recvd Hard Copy in mail

NVC

May 29TH, 2008-129F received at the NVC-YES!

May 30TH, 2008-130 received at the NVC

Consulate-June 3rd

INTERVIEW-August 27TH

Interview-PASSED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES-10 MINUTE INTERVIEW

SEPT 20TH-Arrived in NYC then to Charlotte-YEAH!!!

AOS

February 4TH-mailed I485 & I765

Feb 8TH, NOA 1 for both-Received Feb 5TH

March 4TH Biometrics done

March 19TH RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER-INTERVIEW DATE April 30TH at 9:30

April 13TH RECEIVED EAD... FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

APRIL 14TH-GOING TO SS OFFICE TO ORDER SSCARD

April 19TH-SS card received

April 20TH-Lerners Permit obtained

April 30TH- AOS Passed-10 minute meeting, wouldn't call it an interview, very, very simple.

May 18TH=GREEN CARD RECEIVED

NEVER ABLE TO VIEW CASE ONLINE-SAME INVALID# MESSAGE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

if it was JUST a stupid argument how come they have an assault charge on him? They do not arrest someone for just using arguing like that for assault

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

if it was JUST a stupid argument how come they have an assault charge on him? They do not arrest someone for just using arguing like that for assault

If he is charged with Felony Assault

Then it is much more than just an argument........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Wow. How did this happen? After all you have been through for him to be here? Did he hit you because they won't just charge him with assault if you were just arguing.

I-130 for Two Step Children

App Recieved by USCIS: April 13, 2010

Notice Date: April 19, 2010

Notice Recieved: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 22, 2010

Approved:September 28,2010

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The laws vary state by state on what the police can charge someone with under domestic violence - They don't always need the cooperation of the victim. However, when I looked it up, Aggravated Assault is defined as:

Aggravated Assault - Felony

Aggravated assault is committed if the assault is with an intention of robbing, raping, or murdering, or if the assault is committed with a weapon that could cause serious injury, or if a firearm is discharged from a vehicle towards a person(s). (source: http://www.mygeorgiadefenselawyer.com/geor...t-and-battery/)

So it seems that this was a lot more serious than a simple "misunderstanding". If this happened after only 4 days of being here - I think you really need to examine your situation and is it the right one and a safe one for you.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
The laws vary state by state on what the police can charge someone with under domestic violence - They don't always need the cooperation of the victim. However, when I looked it up, Aggravated Assault is defined as:

Aggravated Assault - Felony

Aggravated assault is committed if the assault is with an intention of robbing, raping, or murdering, or if the assault is committed with a weapon that could cause serious injury, or if a firearm is discharged from a vehicle towards a person(s). (source: http://www.mygeorgiadefenselawyer.com/geor...t-and-battery/)

So it seems that this was a lot more serious than a simple "misunderstanding". If this happened after only 4 days of being here - I think you really need to examine your situation and is it the right one and a safe one for you.

I couldn't have said it better. Leedah please seek some help...not just immigration help either. There is a lot you are not telling (and you have EVERY right not to put it on a public forum)...but don't dissuade yourself. You know what happened, and it's okay to evaluate and regroup. I wish you the very best.

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm so sorry. Regardless of how it happened or what happened, talk to an immigration lawyer right now.

My own husband had some law issues early on. Not as severe; but scary nonetheless. It turned out not to be anything during removal of conditions.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wow Leedah (F)

I have no advice for you, just make the best decision for yourself. And definitely consult with an immigration lawyer like others have suggested.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.