Giskat09

What are the good things in Long Distance Relationship?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

it makes us really appreciate what time we have together.........it also makes us try harder to work out any difference we might have its not like one of us can walk out the door to cool off and come back an hour later and work it out...........

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Charles, I was just about to post "not having to sleep with ear plugs because of the slumbering bulldozer next to me!"

:lol: rey and i must be related :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The one thing I'd say that is "good" about a long-distance relationship is makes us appreciate the amount of hard work and effort it takes to be together. My wife and I really feel that if all couples had to go through this #######, there'd be fewer divorces overall. More people would choose their partners carefully and attempt to work out their problems (when they occur, since they always do), instead of marrying anyone at the drop of a hat and then splitting up because of relatively insigificant reasons.

It wouldn't mean marriages would always be perfect or that divorces would never occur. We just think if something is too easy to attain, then people take it for granted it and no longer value it. We believe that's happened with marriage.

The one thing I'd say that is "good" about a long-distance relationship is makes us appreciate the amount of hard work and effort it takes to be together. My wife and I really feel that if all couples had to go through this #######, there'd be fewer divorces overall. More people would choose their partners carefully and attempt to work out their problems (when they occur, since they always do), instead of marrying anyone at the drop of a hat and then splitting up because of relatively insigificant reasons.

It wouldn't mean marriages would always be perfect or that divorces would never occur. We just think if something is too easy to attain, then people take it for granted it and no longer value it. We believe that's happened with marriage.

Very well said, DeadPoolX. Exactly my husband and I's thoughts...

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Timeline
Charles, I was just about to post "not having to sleep with ear plugs because of the slumbering bulldozer next to me!"

alex use my technique. all you do us kick him really hard every time you wake up from his snores OR push him onto the floor and pretend to be asleep when he asks you if you pushed him. works really well. sometimes I even take neil's pillows out from under his head and put them on his face.

eta: that pillow part is in a non suffocating kinda way

Edited by Amber&Neil

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

alex use my technique. all you do us kick him really hard every time you wake up from his snores OR push him onto the floor and pretend to be asleep when he asks you if you pushed him. works really well. sometimes I even take neil's pillows out from under his head and put them on his face.

If my husband will not snore, I feel like I'm all alone in our bed. His snoring became my lullaby in the long run. :whistle:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I've been in an LDR for about 6 years. It's not always easy, but it gives you plenty of time to work things out and to get to know each other in ways you can't if you're on top of each other all the time. There is a certain intimacy in the distance that can teach you patience, broaden the value you find in the time you do spend together. You learn to be direct and succinct in your communication. I liked the way it forced us to reveal our intellect, values and character rather than depending on so much on looks and sex appeal to keep the attraction going strong. He got his visa today, so it won't be long before our LDR is a thing of the past, insha'allah.

Gratz on his visa!!!

And I agree with everyone who said communication is the best thing about the LDR. None of us choose to be thousands of miles from the one we love. However, I know P better in 2 years than I knew my ex to whom I was married for 9. Part of that is personality, where we are in our lives emotionally, and other factors of course, but most of that is because we've had no choice but to learn how to communicate effectively. We are two very different people, but the distance has allowed us to find ways to express ourselves wihtout relying on body language or phsyical attributes. Sometimes this works against us...an SMS message can be misread or whatever. Yet most of the time we have gone back and said "ok, what did you mean by this?" and this brings us closer.

ANd like DPX said, going through all of this tests and strengthens us. If we can make it through this, then marriage will be easy :) Sure we'll argue and have snags, but we've worked too hard to get to this point to give up easily.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

A swift kik in the balls will cure snoring everytime. :innocent:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, you don't have to watch him mope around the house, avoiding you, not talking, etc. when you are having an argument. I noticed we made up a lot faster when he was LD because of the costs involved in drawn out phone calls trying to resolve stff.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hahaha! i really laughed with this one! so funny!

Being on a LDR your communication will definitely be enhanced and you will appreciate about each other even if its a small things only.You value your relationship so much.

My husband sleeps with earplugs! and i hate it.. lol but i deal with it... he snores as well.. but i'd never be able to rest at ease not hearing it!

FYI - I'm American so all dates will be Month/Day/Year. (lol)

---------------------

10/19/03 - Spoke to him for the first time on mic through Yahoo! Pool.

10/26/03 - First 'I Love You' (The date we consider to be when we got together)

07/03/04 - He flew from U.K. to Alabama for a 2 week visit (Proposed)

12/26/04 - He flew again to Alabama for a 3 week visit

05/22/05 - I flew to U.K. for 1 month visit

09/2005 - He visited AL - 3 weeks(Really hard to remember some of the exact dates!

12/15/05 - I visit U.K. - 1 month

04/2006 - He Visits - 3 weeks

07/2006 - I Visit U.K. - 1 month

10/2006 - He Visits 3 weeks

12/28/2006 - I move to the U.K. (on Fiance Visa)

03/10/07 - Married

--------

12/05/07 - Form I-130 recieved by USCIS

02/23/08 - NOA recieved

02/28/08 - DS230 Part 1

02/03/08 - Sent for Police Certificate

02/05/08 - Medical in London

------------ Medical was fine!

04/17/08 - Finally sent off our Checklist and waiting for our interview date!

Some says that LDR won't work because of lack of trust, communication and etc...

You can give you opinion on how to workout this kind of relationship.

GOD bless to all of us.

It is good as a test.

If the relationship is'nt working, than it probably wasn't meant to be.

Second one is you get to learn how to work on your problems by comunicating with eachother.

And if the time passes and all you can feel is more and more confidence in your relationship, than the test is passed.

I'm not saying this is easy or something, but God only gives us as much as we can handle. And we're strong, my friends, since we're going through this hell.

.png

UURI.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

can you use the earplugs every night without hurting youe ears? Mine start really hurting and then I need a break from wearing them.

You can also ask Rey to use that nose strip thingy to make him breathe better. Plus, when Charles is snoring real loud and he's facing me, sometimes I change bed position, where my head is where my feet was supposed to be, which is a very dangerous position cuz I'm a sleep kicker :P

Edited by Nessa

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

can you use the earplugs every night without hurting youe ears? Mine start really hurting and then I need a break from wearing them.

You can also ask Rey to use that nose strip thingy to make him breathe better. Plus, when Charles is snoring real loud and he's facing me, sometimes I change bed position, where my head is where my feet was supposed to be, which is a very dangerous position cuz I'm a sleep kicker :P

Nessa, I think you need to "train" Charles to turn over when he snores. Apparently my wife has done this with me, although I don't remember it, so she could tell me I'm doing the Moonwalk while asleep too and I'd only have her word to go on.

But the point is that sometimes I snore (usually when I'm flat on my back) so my wife will turn to me and tell me to "turn over" (this seems oddly enough like the command one would give a dog...) and I must do so, because she finds it very amusing that I react almost immediately. When we first got together, I was very slow to respond and she'd have to jab me a few times too. She no longer has to do that.

The real problem, I think, is that my wife is a very light sleeper and I'm the opposite. I could sleep through an explosion and a freight train going by -- at the same time. So she had to work with me (again, this seems vaguely dog-like) in order to get me to do this while asleep.

So far, she hasn't attempted to keep telling me "turn over" so that I roll off the bed. One of these days, I bet that'll happen though.