Alex+R

Which city would you move to?

We're probably moving away from NYC  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would you rather move to if you HAD to choose from this list?

• Chicago
    • Portland or Seattle
    • San Francisco
    • Boston
    • Los Angeles
    • Jersey City

88 posts in this topic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So many things to respond to... I really like the point about snuggling in a cold winter. It's definitely true (as long as you've got workout equipment in your house/building/block) that it's cozy to stay at home when it's cold out. Unfortunately it's not that great if you have a dog...

Everyone has such good things to say about the Pac NW...

Mark: I totally agree about the trustafarians and fauxhemians. I sort of hate them. I mean, how much money do you need to make to have a nice apartment? I think 300,000 a year is what we might need to get the kinds of apartments we can get in Chicago. It's frustrating and it makes you feel like you'll never do well enough to get a freaking built-in dishwasher.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I love Chicago, but can't really imagine living there. I think it is too expensive for me. Plus, I am not sure how much difference in climate and scenery it would be from the Twin Cities for you. I would also say the PNW is a good choice for something different.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Portland weather is 3 weeks freezing cold, that is right now. Where is that Global warming when you need it. About 2 snows a year of about 2 or 3 inches, gone in a day or so. Rain from Feb to April. Then May , June rain and sun intermixed. July, August, Sept and half of Oct No rain at all, not a drop no how, no way. About 3 weeks around 100 in there too. Then about Halloween time the rain comes back off and on until Christmas.

My beloved Joy is here, married and pregnant!

Baby due March 28, 2009

Well, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston are too cold and gray. Los Angeles, San Fran, Portland, and Boston are too expensive. And Jersey City is ... Jersey City. It has very small, nice, expensive areas fenced in with barbed wire, surrounded by places that I personally wouldn't want to live.

I'd actually choose Jersey City because I hate bad weather and traffic, but that's mostly for professional reasons--lots of good work opportunities for me there and in Newark and New York City.

I vote for Albuquerque. All 4 seasons, over 300 days of sun a year but we still get decent snowfall, and no traffic. We're up in the mountains so at the hottest point of the summer it's usually 95° with 15% humidity and a heat index of 85°, and still gets down to 70° at night. Cost of housing is about half what it is in New Jersey and a third what it is in Los Angeles or New York City. You can easily find a nice 3-BR, 2-bath house for under $200K.

Oh, also I just saw a thing about Boise on TV and it looked AMAZING. Absolutely beautiful, with mountains and everything.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Portland weather is 3 weeks freezing cold, that is right now. Where is that Global warming when you need it. About 2 snows a year of about 2 or 3 inches, gone in a day or so. Rain from Feb to April. Then May , June rain and sun intermixed. July, August, Sept and half of Oct No rain at all, not a drop no how, no way. About 3 weeks around 100 in there too. Then about Halloween time the rain comes back off and on until Christmas.

I think I'd pass... it's more fun to have weather a bit more unpredictable. LOL It was 60-65 degrees here in Chicago Jan 5-7 this year...hehehe

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
I think I'd pass... it's more fun to have weather a bit more unpredictable. LOL It was 60-65 degrees here in Chicago Jan 5-7 this year...hehehe

It was the same here in Greencastle. 67° if I remember correctly.

It's currently -3° with a wind chill of -21° #######?

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

So, we might move. We like bigger cities, lots of arts and culture, public transportation, nice weather (Alex likes warmth and Rey likes the four seasons), lower rent and lots of greenspace. Not every place has all of these things, but we'd like to maximize them. The reason we'd be leaving NYC is the high cost of living. This is otherwise my favorite place I've ever lived.

The biggest possibility right now is Chicago, but I'm from Minneapolis and I'd prefer a different, more friendly climate. :) Tell me which city you chose and why please. Thank you!

Portland, OR in terms of weather and cost of living. Boston, NY, LA have very high cost of living and Chicago can be very cold. I know, MPLS is much colder than Chicago.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
It's currently -3° with a wind chill of -21° #######?

yup...about the same here....

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow! No one has voted for L.A. that's really no surprise. I'd have to say Boston or Chicago. Don't really care for the "left" coast.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I chose Portland/Seattle without reading anyone's answers as well. I've never been to either...but I do have friends there and have heard alllll about it. I would have chosen Boston or SF over it if they weren't both so expensive! You might as well stay in NYC if you don't care about price. :)

But for Seattle its beautiful AND is cheaper than NYC by far. My friend has an ocean view apartment in Seattle for $1200/mo! I wouldn't choose Chicago because I personally didn't love it that much there...And too damn cold! And I definitely wouldn't choose LA because it is expensive also and just not that great.

Jersey City (or any other subburb of NYC that is cheaper) might be a good option if you really want to stay near NYC and happen to have good jobs there already. I was considering that option for myself in the future. OR a city outside of Boston. I have a friend who lives 15 min outside of Boston in a huge old charming house on the water that is very cheap considering!

Something to think about...

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg