Alex+R

Which city would you move to?

We're probably moving away from NYC  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would you rather move to if you HAD to choose from this list?

• Chicago
    • Portland or Seattle
    • San Francisco
    • Boston
    • Los Angeles
    • Jersey City

88 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So, we might move. We like bigger cities, lots of arts and culture, public transportation, nice weather (Alex likes warmth and Rey likes the four seasons), lower rent and lots of greenspace. Not every place has all of these things, but we'd like to maximize them. The reason we'd be leaving NYC is the high cost of living. This is otherwise my favorite place I've ever lived.

The biggest possibility right now is Chicago, but I'm from Minneapolis and I'd prefer a different, more friendly climate. :) Tell me which city you chose and why please. Thank you!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I love Oregon, so of course I would pick Portland...

although if it were me moving I would move somewhere along the coast of Oregon...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
when you say different, friendlier climate - are you talking about the weather or the general attitude of the inhabitants?

Weather - Los Angeles

Friendly people - Portland

I suppose actually both. That's something I didn't know about Portland. It's a city where neither of us have ever been, but it was my idea so I'm rooting for it. :) I've heard it's beautiful. True?

Timeline
I love Oregon too - if I had the right job offer, I'd move to Portland in a heartbeat.

Rey mentioned there isn't a lot of IT stuff in Portland. But I hope he will at least put some feelers out. It sounds kind of ideal. And it's really liberal too, right?

I think you would love Portland - it's very beautiful with mountains and coast all within day-tripping distance. It's got a small town feel with big city advantages. Good public transport, good bike paths (if you like that sort of thing), good restaurants and bars and Powells, the best bookstore in the world.

90day.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So, we might move. We like bigger cities, lots of arts and culture, public transportation, nice weather (Alex likes warmth and Rey likes the four seasons), lower rent and lots of greenspace. Not every place has all of these things, but we'd like to maximize them. The reason we'd be leaving NYC is the high cost of living. This is otherwise my favorite place I've ever lived.

The biggest possibility right now is Chicago, but I'm from Minneapolis and I'd prefer a different, more friendly climate. :) Tell me which city you chose and why please. Thank you!

Considering your political and social views, you'd probably be most comfortable in San Francisco or Seattle.

Timeline
I think you would love Portland - it's very beautiful with mountains and coast all within day-tripping distance. It's got a small town feel with big city advantages. Good public transport, good bike paths (if you like that sort of thing), good restaurants and bars and Powells, the best bookstore in the world.

This sounds like heaven.

Timeline
Boston is too expensive! :angry:

Yeah, my worry about Boston and San Francisco is that they won't really be much better in terms of cost of living than where we currently live. They'll definitely be better, but maybe not enough to make a difference... otherwise I think those two would rank at the top for me. Except for Boston's weather.