Alex+R

Which city would you move to?

We're probably moving away from NYC  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would you rather move to if you HAD to choose from this list?

• Chicago
    • Portland or Seattle
    • San Francisco
    • Boston
    • Los Angeles
    • Jersey City

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

We plan on moving back to Europe....but if we had to pick from the list, it would be Seattle. It's great there!

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Isn't California as expensive as NY?

I vote San Francisco, Boston coming in second, then Chicago. I know nothing about Portland and I definitely wouldnt want to live in Seattle, JC or Los Angeles.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

If I HAD to pick one, I'd also probably pick Portland or Seattle...leaning towards Portland. I've never been to either though. My sister visited Portland and liked aspects of it but it is very different than the East coast which is what I am used to.

Chicago and Boston have scary looking winters for someone like me. San Fransisco and LA would be super expensive it seems.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

What's with all of the hippie nonsense anyway? :huh:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
what the hell's wrong with hippies? do you NOT like Ben n Jerry or something?

heh... posted at the same time.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

As I mentioned earlier, I picked Seattle/Portland. However, I can't imagine living in ANY of the cities listed. Of course, I hate cities. The only city I've lived in that didn't make me want to kill people - or myself - was Denver. Denver has a lot going for it.

NYC - I'd rather live in Frog Balls, Tennessee than in NYC. I can't even imagine growing up in that kind of environment.

Chicago - cold, windy, dirty....yeah, it has SO much going for it.

Boston - Imagine 500 people in a VW Beetle - that's Boston. "I'm goin' to the bah in my cah to get a beeah."

San Francisco - Except for the outrageous cost of living, I really don't have anything against SF except that it's in California. I enjoyed it, actually.

LA - not a chance in hell. No way, no how. Been there, driven there, ain't gonna happen. Ever.

Jersey City - Contrary to popular belief, New Jersey is mostly a very pretty state. JC is not included in that.

Considering the cost of parking and transportation in NYC, I think I'm better off living out in the boonies here and driving to Indy every day. It's quiet here, there are trees - lots of trees. If I want to go for a bike ride, there are hundreds of miles of roads here that are only lightly travelled. If I want to go shopping, Indy is only 40 miles away.

I know some people like living in cities, but I just can't fathom it.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I also don't want to live in a big city. I like living close enough to drive to them within an hour. I was born in NYC but moved away when I was real little, my parents have never regretted leaving Queens and NY's crowds and insane traffic and costs. My mom grew up there.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Losers :P

You're not tough enough for NYC.

The city chewed you up and spat you out.

:whistle:

People always say that. From inside their tiny craptastic apartments with bugs and sh!tty water pressure.

Not all, I've seen some pretty good apartments.

Anyway, nobody needs to be tough to live in NY anymore. This is Disney NY. You've never even been to the "tough" NY.

True, but you do need lots of money, which is the "Disney" equivalent of "tough".

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Portland was the only place I ever searched on dice.com and didn't find a single result...

Dayton, OH has more opportunities for me than Portland...

That's because Dayton is close to Cincinnati & Columbus - both big cities with big companies.

Portland is full of non-working hippies. ;)

I live in Portland, Dev. Would you consider me a Hippie?

It's called a joke, one no one except Robin got. :wacko:

True, but you do need lots of money, which is the "Disney" equivalent of "tough".

or a rent controlled apartment

Although I would never say LA is not expensive. I do think it compares favorably on the apartment front with NYC. It is possible to get a nice 1-bed apartment (by nice I mean it's not the walk-in closet that pass as a livable space in NYC) for around $1000-$1200 a month. However, you would have to off-set that with the need for a reliable car. THe problem will be making certain the apartment is a decent commute from work - you don't want a nice apartment on the west side if you have to commute to Burbank and vice-versa.

90day.jpg

what the hell's wrong with hippies? do you NOT like Ben n Jerry or something?

heh... posted at the same time.

i agree...i move to seatlle or portland

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

now if you want all 4 seasons I'd recommend Curitiba :thumbs:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Chicago is my favorite city in the U.S. I'd move there in a heartbeat if the situation was right.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Portland was the only place I ever searched on dice.com and didn't find a single result...

Dayton, OH has more opportunities for me than Portland...

That's because Dayton is close to Cincinnati & Columbus - both big cities with big companies.

Portland is full of non-working hippies. ;)

I live in Portland, Dev. Would you consider me a Hippie?

You'll have to forgive her (or ignore her).... her brush only comes in one width.

Don't ask the man to do something you can't do yourself!

Don - I'm pretty sure you are not a hippy.

90day.jpg