Alex+R

Which city would you move to?

We're probably moving away from NYC  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would you rather move to if you HAD to choose from this list?

• Chicago
    • Portland or Seattle
    • San Francisco
    • Boston
    • Los Angeles
    • Jersey City

88 posts in this topic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I also don't want to live in a big city. I like living close enough to drive to them within an hour. I was born in NYC but moved away when I was real little, my parents have never regretted leaving Queens and NY's crowds and insane traffic and costs. My mom grew up there.

Exactly. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, however it's an hour drive to Indy, an hour to Terre Haute, 2.5 hours to Chicago, 2 hours to Louisville, and 2.5 hours to Cincinnati. If Indy has jobs in your field, you can live in one of the rural areas for less than $800/month in rent (3BR house) and commute. You get the "city" jobs with a relaxed homelife.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Boston is super-expensive.

I love Chicago too - I love Chicago - but I just don't know if I could take another winter there

Winter? I've gone in different months each time I've gone, trying to find a warm time to swim in Lake Michigan. I'm convinced there is never a warm time in Chicago!!!!!! I swear to God, I thought I was going to lose my toes to hypothermia in June one year.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

I love Chicago too - I love Chicago - but I just don't know if I could take another winter there

Winter? I've gone in different months each time I've gone, trying to find a warm time to swim in Lake Michigan. I'm convinced there is never a warm time in Chicago!!!!!! I swear to God, I thought I was going to lose my toes to hypothermia in June one year.

I'll tell you when - summer of 1995! When that horrible heatwave hit. The water was very fine during those 2 weeks.

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

come back in July and August when the heat index is in the 90's and the humidity matches....GAH!

But c'mon, winter's not that bad...you put on another layer and deal with it. Yeah, so it gets cold...all the more reason to want to snuggle up. ^_^ Who wants to snuggle when it's bleeding hot on the other hand?

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
True, but you do need lots of money, which is the "Disney" equivalent of "tough".

or a rent controlled apartment

You need to be "Disney-tough" to get one of those as well.

I was talking about buying an apartment though. A very decent 3BR (1,200 sq ft or so) apartment

can be had for a measly $1.2M. $2M will get you an amazing view and a balcony. :D

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Next time you Chicago guys need to call me during a heatwave. I can be there by plane in about 45 minutes.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

I suppose you have to be tough if you don't come from money and have to earn it yourself - the trouble is, NYC has been overrun with trustafarians and fauxhemians buying out condos in the Lower East Side and thinking it's edgy

But c'mon, winter's not that bad...you put on another layer and deal with it. Yeah, so it gets cold...all the more reason to want to snuggle up. ^_^ Who wants to snuggle when it's bleeding hot on the other hand?

My tough midwestern upbringing has been totally compromised by 3 years in LA - I can't do those kinds of winters any more!

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
NYC has been overrun with trustafarians and fauxhemians buying out condos in the Lower East Side and thinking it's edgy

:lol:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I suppose you have to be tough if you don't come from money and have to earn it yourself - the trouble is, NYC has been overrun with trustafarians and fauxhemians buying out condos in the Lower East Side and thinking it's edgy

Indeed. There aren't any struggling artists here anymore, only struggling stock brokers.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Kansas City has all 4 seasons and it's not that expensive :thumbs: you can have a big house, a big backyard for all your 6 kids to play

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Kansas City has all 4 seasons and it's not that expensive :thumbs: you can have a big house, a big backyard for all your 6 kids to play

I don't think Alex would move to KC, though....

I heard it rains all the time in Seattle...

Timeline

I'm changing mine to Seattle because.........

Reuters

Seattle Starbucks tests $1 coffee, free refills

Wednesday January 23, 1:03 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp (NasdaqGS:SBUX - News) is testing $1 coffee and free refills in its Seattle outlets as the global gourmet coffee chain grapples with slower consumer spending and rising competition from fast-food rivals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Company shares were up at midday on the Nasdaq, rising 2.3 percent, or 43 cents, to $19.11.

Starbucks is experimenting with a smaller, "short" $1 cup as well as free refills for brewed coffee. Starbucks charges around $1.50 to $4.00 for a coffee, depending on size and flavor.

In a statement, Starbucks said, "This test is not indicative of any new business strategy."

The company said testing is part of its ongoing business and that the company will not comment on specifics of its test campaigns until a final decision is made.

Shares in Starbucks have lost around half their value over the past year amid worries about U.S. consumer spending, over-expansion and competition from fast-food rivals such as McDonald's Corp (NYSE:MCD - News) that offer specialty coffees.

Regular coffee prices at both McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, a unit of Dunkin' Brands Inc., start in the low $1 range.

Starbucks announced a management reshuffle earlier this year, bringing Howard Schultz back into the chief executive position. It also said it would close underperforming U.S. outlets and speed up international growth.

Starbucks has around 15,000 stores around the world including over 10,000 in the United States.

(Reporting by Ritsuko Ando and Lisa Baertlein; Editing by Brian Moss)

You only get one trip

You only get one trip